Doctor Who 29/4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RabidYak, Apr 29, 2006.

1. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Nothing spectacular, but worth watching.

I found it amusing that K9 seems to have gained the ability to move a decent distance while on camera despite falling apart, that bat aliens seem to be highly explosive when mixed with the right chemicals and that The Doctor still hasent found the button on the new Tardis controls that makes it go to different planets after 17 episodes.

One more episode to go until the Cybermen.

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

What the hell month is 29?

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Days come before months here in the old world, dd/mm/yy.

4. butz

butz slippery when wet

I think the post the date before the month over there, so that it goes from smallest increment of time to largest (day, month, year)

5. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Yeah we put dates sensible way round.

Any way as an episode, well nice enough but well, ohh some formula that can rewrite the universe basically comes out of no where, it just felt like whole villain plot was just kinda thrown on as an after thought. It was nice to see an old assistant come back and how the Doctor effected her life, the emotion in this story actually worked, sadly the story didn’t, and K9 yes!

Great to have him back, even if it was for one episode, although while some people will say it wrong I wouldn’t mind seeing him updated, I mean they can make those stupid pet robot dogs with legs these day so surely they could have made K9 mark 4 look a little less like a sewing machine case.

And Mickey is travelling with them now, could be interesting.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I liked it, the story was essentially the frame for the emotion element of the episode.

Its good to see the Doctor making attachments with his companions, and actually referred to properly. And Mickey was funny this ep, I always wondered why he didn't join earlier.

One thing though, why did Rose looked disheartened when he asked to join? Does she want the Doctor to herself? Space and Time is only for me!

7. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Loved the EP, not for the story but for the emotions and character interactions. It certainly shows a good sense of history and continuity referring to why the Doctor left Sarah Jane just before the Deadly Assassin.

8. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

- The reunion with Sarah Jane Smith was better than I expected. It broke down a little towards the end with some sloppy sentimental dialogue, but otherwise it was done well.

- Overall, the script for this episode was definitely above-average. Highlights for me included the SJS/Doctor cafe chat, and the Doctor's poolside confrontation with the headmaster.

- K9's physical design and personality were both splendidly accurate (sources say original props were used), except for the "We are in a car" bit; I don't recall him being that subtle.

- Anthony Head's performance as the headmaster was impressive.

- I can't stand Mickey. Get him off the TARDIS.

9. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As an american and still in the first season of Doctor Who as well as being a Buffy fan I look forward to this episode. I can only hope that scifi keeps it on thier playlist for that long.

10. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Anthony Head makes a great villian it's a pitty there wont be a master cause he seems to do quite well

and streck you may get your wish I've heard rummors Mickey gets strandied at the end of the cyberman story. But don't know for sure.

11. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The 'damaged' K9 was a new prop, the 'New' K9, left for Sarah-Jane at the end of the episode was the original prop, or so says the crew that worked on the episode.
    With the BBC3 showing last night, you could get commentary, and at the end they said the above.

Also, Noel Clarke broke K9, in the 'confidential' follow up to this episode, ('Confidential' is behind the scenes of the show for hose that didnt know), It shows during the 'car scene' trying to activate K9, Noel punches its head, and snapped one of it's ears.

A fairly good episode, though I agree with what someone else said, the Monsters seemed to be a 'tacked on side-plot'

Still, Next Week

'The Girl in The Fireplace'
    By Steven Moffat, writer of last season's:
    'The Empty Child', and 'The Doctor Dances'

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Missed this week's; I was in London. Are you telling me that Mickey is now the Doctor's assistant?
    Arrrgghhh. Kill him.

13. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Think of him more like the guy they picked up at the end of Dalek.

Only there for a few eps.

14. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Best episode of season 2 so far, it made up for the first 2 episodes not being that great. I feared how Buffy-esque it might be between Anthony Head in a high school with bat people. But it didn't get too bad. Anthony Head's acting was superb. And David Tennant's acting was the best it's been since he took over as the Doctor. In his conversations with Sarah and K9 he totally reminded me of Tom Baker's Doctor in the way he spoke and the facial expressions. And he did a superb job at being emotional. I was a little dissapointed in K9 getting so little screen time, I was so excited to see him. I really enjoyed the interaction between the Doctor and his old companions.
    That said there were things I didn't like. The bat people were obviously fake and looked very cartoony. In fact, all the CGI this season looks far worse than the last one. Controlling the universe with a simple formula was ridiculous. The Doctor being talked out of reviving his people by a simple line from Sarah? Rose was a little bit of a bitch toward the end with her reaction to Mickey joining, I imagined that when Sarah and the Doctor went outside to talk they probably started yelling at each other. And lastly, all this time and still no alien worlds? That's not Doctor Who! The Doctor is an explorer, he doesn't stick around on one planet!
    Don't know what I think of Mickey joining, not my favorite character, but I met Noel Clark in person at a convention in LA last February and he is one of the nicest people I've ever met. So if nothing else I'm glad he got a "full time" job with the show.
    Also, was it just me or was K9 much bigger than usual?

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    K9's not bigger, when you grow up things appear bigger because you're bigger... wait...thats not right... ;)  Seriously though I think he's the same size. I remember a clip from an old episode when an assitant had to hold the door open for K-9, and he did fill up the entire doorway widthwise.

On the CG, I have a theory. I read in the SFX Doctor Who special that they will definitely be going to alien worlds this season, and what we'll see will totally blow us away. I suspect that the CG for these episodes is ropey because the budget for impressive effects has been put aside for the alien world eps. Maybe.

Next episode should sparkle, the chemistry between David Tennant and Sophia Myles should be red hot, they end up stepping out after this, so I expect the whole Rose/Jealousy thing to be put up a notch, especially with her ex/maybe not quite ex hanging around as well.