doctor who 26/5/07

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wavelength, May 26, 2007.

1. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

as usual, will post review after i have watched it. see ya.

brilliant, brilliant brilliant! excellent plot, good charecterisetion for both martha and the doctor, good references to wars around 1913, and a very intrieging teaser for next week. plus the scarecrow men are awesome.

2. Aldude

Aldude Automorph

I liked the first visual references to his past incarnations :-D
    call me old fashioned

3. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    [lame] hmmm ok... hi old fashioned :D  [/lame]

4. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another solid episode.

I did like the Gallifrey line with a nod to the original series.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Quality episode, plus bonus points for the drawings of past doctors and the parents reference.

6. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Wow, apart from the Scarecrows, I just couldnt get into this episode, I cant stand the companion focus episodes, and the episode only really grabbed my attention in the last few minutes.

The Doctor, sorry, hes not the Doctor anymore is he, John Smith's journal was pretty snazzy though.

I really hope it gets better next week.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I want that journal. Man, what a cool prop.
    Excellent episode; thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. At first I was a little c ncerned that it would be another bog-standard "oh no, the hero thinks he's someone else" episode", but I was very happy to be proved wrong.
    Oh, and Martha's still hot. Although I still fancy Jessica Stephenson more.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Very clever, I liked how the suspense built up. The scarecrows are some creepy monsters, too.

I caught references to Sylvester McCoy (top left in the journal, you can see the handle of the umbrella under his chin) and the stunt with the cricket ball was pure Peter Davidson style. Did anyone figure out who else was on that page?

I get the feeling that the journal will be released as some sort of merchandising at some point - maybe as a story book, but all done in the style of what was shown on screen?

The drama between Martha and the Doctor is interesting, too, and I wonder what the consequences of all this will be? I have this strange feeling there will be some sort of lasting effect from this episode that will resonate through to the finale.

On the subject of the finale, does anyone know when it is airring? I thought it would be June 30th, since Eurovision pushed it all back a week, but the TV Guide says the last one is going out on June 23rd, which would mean we might get a double bill for the finale. Unless of course the TV Guide went to press before Eurovision mucked it all up.

9. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

yeah, the likely rift will probaly cause/have an impact on the finale in some way.

10. RabidYak

I definately saw McCoy and McGann, but couldent make out the others quick enougth.

11. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Found this on another forum:
    http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h101/DoomsdayZone/WHOWHO.gif

I kinda shared Draven's concerns going into this episode (Smallville recently did one of those kinds of episodes, and I was just bored), but I really liked this one. I'll be curious to see how it ends.

12. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm worried next week will seem abit ............ stretched out

really there were better episodes they could have made into 2 parts, and did the doctor saying gallifrey mean hes naturally remembering who he is

13. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What was the parents reference?

14. RabidYak

Verity (Lambert) and Sydney (Newman), the first producer of the show and the bloke who came up with the Doctor and TARDIS.

15. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I thoroughly enjoyed that episode. Since we're going on about Doctor Who meta- references in the episode, the cricket ball, his parents, his former incarnations in the journal, did anyone else notice the blue crystal on the mantelpiece next to where the watch was kept? I saw it and immediately thought of the blue crystal from Metebelis Three from Planet of the Spiders.

16. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i sky plused it so i can see the pic of the incarnations properly.

it was a good episode but was a good novel to begin with (it was originally a novel written about the 7th doctor and Ace)

shame we didn't see anything else from the old school who in the journal apart from his incarnations but i did see the picture that refers to who will be appearing in the final episode

17. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ahhh of course.

I did notice the blue crystal but though it was some kind of bottle. Nice catch.

18. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    At first I thought the 5 drawings of the Doctors previous incarnations might have been the 5 Doctors, from the episode bearing the same.

Nope, I checked, its not.

19. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They also played background music from Rememberance of the Daleks with Sylvestor McCoy. When they showed the little girl the first time they played that "5,6,7,8, there's a Doctor at the gate" music that the Dalek possessed girl always had playing when they showed her.
    Also, has anyone ever looked in to that old Doctor Who meets Scratchman movie that Tom Baker wrote but never got made. The one where he had scarecrows as the monsters? That's what I thought of when they showed scarecrows on this one.
    Personally I thought this episode was awesome. My wife (who also is a die hard Who fan) hated it. I'm a little concerned about next week though. If that much time passes that they actually have the Doctor raise a family (as suggested in the trailers), it's make him an ass to just up and leave them in TARDIS. So I'm hoping that's more of a dreamy "What-could-be" sequence rather than what does happen. But if that much time did pass, Martha would be in her 30s or 40s by the end of the episode, so my guess is that it doesn't really come to be.
    Then we had that kid walking around with the Doctor's memories, I wonder how that'll play out.
    I loved the McGann sketch too! I know everyone in the world hates the TV Movie, but I absolutely loved the 8th Doctor, and have always been depressed about his lack of screen time, so it was awesome to at least see him getting recognised in the series.
    So, aside from being people who worked on the show back wehn, are Sydney and Verity supposed to actually be the Doctor's parent's names? Or was that just one of his false human memories?

20. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

You just know this episode wasn't written by Russel T Davies as it actual felt like a story was unfolding. The references also seemed very "anti-RTD", as he's too obsessed with including 'whacky aliens' with 'kid-friendly' names.

Not a bad episode. Still won't replace the Pertwee era for me (not even close!) but there's some fun to be had.

And Martha as a maid...... yes please.