Doctor Who 15/4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RabidYak, Apr 15, 2006.

1. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Any other UK mofos watch todays new Who? I wish I bloody well hadent.

Uninteresting plot, cringeworthy script and the effects quality seems to have taken a bit of a nosedive.

The advert for next weeks was more entertaining then the episode itself, but i'll reserve any interest in that until I actually see it since its another Davies episode.

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Davies really is doing anything he can to justify the Doctor kissing Rose, isn't he? *sigh*
    Mildly better than about 60% of the last season (Season One, my arse). And I am already preferring Tennant to Ecclestone.
    I didn't think the effects were that bad; having said that, whoever composited the flying cars in at the beginning has a lot to learn.

3. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I liked it, not great, nothing shocking or unexpected happening in there but it got along quite well and wasn’t overly preachy, The Doctor’s god complex is really on the surface now. Tennant’s Doctor is quite interesting, I hope we see more of his dark edge from the Xmas episode and I really wish they would play down the romance, it really adds nothing to the show and distracts from the plot.

4. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

As long as they don't mess up the return of the Cybermen. A lot of the later episodes really look good though, really looking forward to the werewolf episode.

Though I'm in Canada so I still have a few months to wait.

5. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

you wont have a few months to wait if you know where to look...

6. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I dunno Yak, after seeing it I really liked the episode. Then again I always liked even the worst of Colin baker's run so.....

7. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

- The episode itself was subpar. Predictable story, crappy dialogue.

- As the Doctor, Tennant is far better than Eccleston. He has moods other than "really excited," and his face isn't stretching in all directions at once.

- Do the writers have something against visiting all the alien worlds that we went to with previous Doctors? God forbid we go to a planet that has fuck-all to do with humans.

- It's fun to watch actors playing possessed characters. It tests their range a little.

8. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Not a bad episode. I liked it better than a few of last years stories. I thought Tennant was awsome. I wonder what info the Face of Boe has for The Doctor?

9. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Didn't the face of Boe have a kid in the last season? In the episode with simon pegg in, it was mentioned on the news, at least I thought it was.

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Amen. This has been my biggest complaint with new episodes. Time travel ones are okay, but for fuck's sake, Davies. I have LESS than no interest in seeing Rose's annoying mum and irritating twat "boyfriend" EVER AGAIN.

11. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I think they are actually supposed to go to another world this year that has nothing to do with Earth. As long as they stay away from rock quarries I'll be happy.

12. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I just started getting into the "first" season of the new Who. I had only seen a few of the Tom Baker episodes when I was younger (figure between '79-'81) and really enjoyed them (through a rather static filled image), but never caught up on the rest of the series or its mythology (though being involved in SF fandom for over 20 years, it was nearly impossible to avoid being exposed to the major points of Who lore).

Given all that I had heard about the new show, I was hesitant to invest in it, and in fact hadn't watched one of the digitally recorded eps until a few days ago. Now I admit I'm hooked.

I really like Eccleston's Who (shame he didn't last longer). Cocky and exuberant, he's having a shitload of fun exploring the universe, which is exactly how it should be. When he does take things seriously (as in the Dalek episode, which just aired in the US), his change in demeanor brings a dramatic weight to what might otherwise be spotty writing or effects.

I like Billie Piper, too. She plays the part well, and her responses to the incredible events surrounding her are mostly believable. More importantly, she does a young, attractive, naive character without coming across as being a complete lightweight. I can believe Rose to be someone of substance, who just need some more years of seasoning.

In the end, what I like most if the series' imagination. It doesn't let itself be hampered by the FX budget. So what if the monsters look a tad rediculous at times. When was the last time a Trek episode tried something different as the last human in "The End of the World? Can you imagine any other series that would have Dickens fighting alien zombies, or killer manniquins, or Porky Pig crashing a flying saucer into the Thames? Perhaps not all the ideas work, but they are trying them, and isn't that what made most of us fall in love with SF in the first place?

13. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I also got started watching the new who and am rather impressed but I gotta agree with the others the Tennant seems alot better then the other guy. The other dude reminded me of like a mad cap loon running around space with a big grin and being a nut case. The tenth doctor seems a little more mellow and more prone to action then just standing around and telling people what should be done. First ep of the new season wasnt great but it's only the first episode.

14. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

That's always important to remember. The first ep tends to be magnified in importance because its the first new one in so long, and we often expect it to set the tone for the rest of the season (though it rarely does).

In the end, a sample size of one is the absolute worst gauge to go by.

15. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Heh, I'm sure that any long-time Doctor Who fan knows that by now.

16. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    New Earth has cemented my fondness for Tennant. I've been watching the show on public television for almost ten years now, and have seen every incarnation of the Doctor. Tennant is definitely up there with the greats. Reminds me a little bit of McCoy, actually, which is a very good thing from my perspective.

The episode itself was pretty decent. Cassandra was (pardon the pun) really fleshed out this time. She actually became somewhat sympathetic, although the turn around at the end was horribly rushed and came off rather forced. The way the Doctor cured the plague was a bit of a stretch, too. More original than just putting it in the ventilation system, but significantly less believable. As an American, the "chav" comment went completely over my head.

Billie Piper is still doing a great job as Rose, and she pulled off a good Cassandra, too. Still a bit of "The Rose Show with special guest star The Doctor" syndrome, but more bearable than last season. I'm curious to see what Davies will do after Billie leaves the show and he has to move on without Rose and her supporting cast. Hopefully the Doctor will properly take center stage once again.

And for the love of God, can we please get away from Earth? New Earth is a step in the right direction, but it's still too tied to the same little blue and green rock. Even Pertwee had adventures away from Earth, and he was exiled here. Go somewhere else already.

17. ashe5k

ashe5k Well-Known Member

Just got into Doctor Who with the sci-fi channel run here in the states so I'm still on Ecceleston's Dr. I've been tempted to download teh eps to get caught up but I'm having fun watching them with my wife. She's been trying to get me into Who for years.

18. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    good on her I say.

As for Tennant's performance so far, I wasn't exactly blown away by the first (second if you count 'The Christmas Invasion') of his series, but My real interest for this Series is the Cybermen, as it was for Dalek's + Eccleston.

I think definately, there was something about 'New Earth' that just didnt sit right, there was just something wierd + creepy there, instead of the 'bad-guys' being alien's or meglomaniac's, it was disease in the end.

It just seems so much more, 'real' to have the 'enemy' being something that is an 'enemy' of today's society..........Though I'm probably just looking too far into it.