Doctor Who: 13/5/06 & 20/5/06

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Draven, May 13, 2006.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yay! it's the Cybermen!
    For a whole 5 or so minutes!
    :redface2: 
    And why the hell is it that, even in a parallel dimension, and with an entire new parallel Earth to explore, they still find Rose's sodding family?
    One nice touch, though:
    "You will become like us"
    Troughton would have liked that.

2. The Librarian

The Librarian Well-Known Member

I couldn't give three figs about Rose' family (except they aren't).

My favourite villians EVER are most definitly back, and looking better than ever!

Five minutes but five bloody fantastic minutes. The whole Cybus industies build up was great, especially the 'combined' ear pieces.

And that's without mentioning the refences to Invasion, the faux mouth flaps, the electric bolts, the massive army, the zeplins, Lumic...

Roll on the Cyber Leader, I say.

3. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Uninteresting until the Cybermen showed up near the end, about half an episodes worth of plot stretched out over a whole one.

Insert all the usual comments about Rose's family and not leaving Earth here.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Cybermen are my fave villains too.

I dunno, last weeks episode was very very good, but this weeks seems to be a rehash of the Season 1 ep where Rose meets her father.

I did like Micky/(Ricky, hahah, just reminds me of 'Story of Ricky') who did have a chance to shine here. The Doctor basically acted like a wanker, and wonders why Micky gets pissed. Then we get a bit of depth etc... Micky does have the potential to mix things up a bit (ie, not just the Doctor and Rose) but I fear he's gonna leave after this story arc.

But Cybermen!

5. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Dude Cybermen!!!!!111!!!!!1!!!!
    Who wants to bet that Lumic becomes the Cyberleader, as he's dying.
    The new cybermen kick ass, but its a shame that they dont have the weapons they do in 'Totally Doctor Who', the arm mounted blaster.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I took that for granted. I figured with him now at the factory, and his obsession with his own mortality, he'd make the leap.
    What I really like about these new Cybermen, they're finally threatening again. They aren't just "this weeks baddie" anymore, they're invincible, merciless machines. I really love the SFX for when they're moving, there's a real sense of weight to them. Wonder what their weakness will be?

Also, something that I picked up on, they sound awfully like the Daleks with their "Delete, delete, delete" bit. Granted they're totally different races, but even so, they seem a bit too close for comfort.

Still, a decent build up episode, and roll on part 2.

7. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I liked it.
    Though it was an enjoyable episode.
    Not as good as last weeks, but still enjoyable.

Seeing the last TARDIS in existence 'die' and the Doctors reaction to that was a little bit sad (Though I wonder what caused it....)
    Mickey did manage to shine a bit more and I feel that he may be regretting asking to go traveling with Rose and the Doctor.
    The stuff with Rose's family is a little bit tyring, but when you think about it, having the opportunity to see someone that you love who died, when you were young, again is going to be very difficult to resist for anyone. Alternative dimension or not.

As for the Cybermen, loving the redesign on them, but hating the voice. Though I am left wondering if they will all just be humans converted into Cybermen or if perhaps the CyberController (or even just a regular Cyberman) somehow managed to get to that alt dimension and set this in motion. If they are just human didn't they do that last year with the Daleks...

However, for the people moaning about the Cybermen only showing up for the last few minutes here's a little Doctor Who history lesson.

The fist appearance of the Daleks was in the dying moments of there first story, and you only saw the sucker arm.
    During the story 'The Dalek Invasion of Earth' the Daleks weren't revealed till the last moments of episode one.
    The first appearance of the Cybermen didn't happen till close to the end of 'The Tenth Planet' episode one.
    In last years 'Bad Wolf' the Dalek fleet with thousands of them wasn't revealed till the very end.

It's just a little way of building suspension and getting people to tune in for the next episode.
    After all it would be kind of pointless having them turn up in the first few seconds of the episode and then the Doctor figure out a way to stop them. Wouldn't make a very good two-parter, now would it.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tis' true! In the Cybermen storyarc 'Earthshock' (with the Doctor I grew up watching, Peter Davison) the Cybermen don't turn up until the end of episode 1, turns out they machinated (get it? Ha! So bad...) the events of the entire episode so far!

And even then they pretty much did their 'crap their pants when they realise its the Doctor regenerated' thing, even for emotionless robot guys.

9. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:

I thought they were more similar to the clockwork monsters (episode 4) than Daleks, I see them, almost as a super upgrade from the clockwork ones.
    I think its the voice, they both only have short range weapons, and the way that they are just carrying out what they were constructed to do, With the daleks, that casing was originally for their species survival, but with these new Cybermen, they were created from a mad mans ambition, to carry out his orders, or immortalize himself.

I think one of the things that is worth noting, The tear drop thing on the side of their eye, described by some as, the sorrow of the souls inside.

Also, If anyone wants to see it, post here and I'll put up two pictures of the Cybercontroller, (One close up, and one full body shot).

There is a sort of cross section i have aswell, but its too big for me scanner, so if anyone wants to see it, Grab a copy of the 13th to 19th of May Radio Times.

Yup, this is me at 8:25 in the morning, with long views that sort of ramble.

10. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Hartnell, even. They said that in "The Tenth Planet."

The Cybermen were very well done, I was pleased to see. They're doing a remarkable job of making classic Doctor Who enemies genuinely frightening again. I do agree with Boardwise though, the voice could have been better.

Oh, and the only thing I care about less than Rose's family is Mickey's family. "It's always about Rose, I'm just a spare part." How very perceptive of you.

11. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Of course they saved the Cybermen for the last few minutes of the show, almost every 2-parter TV show will do that, but yes, it works.

Very nice sound effect for when they walk though. Seems like every major villain(s) story always involves Rose's family though.

12. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Right so now the cybermen were basically made by the human davros, Lumic seemed to be a total rehash, now I don’t know the original origin on the cybermen but if they had to remake them couldn’t they have done some thing better than just re doing the darleks but with humans not karleds.

13. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Being the new guy and not seeing the old shows I found the cybermen to be pretty intimidating theres something I dont quite understand about the episode thats bugging me, have to go back and watch it again and see if it makes any more sense.

And I kind of feel sorry for micky being treated how he is. And of course something will happen cause of it but its a shame as last episode he seemed to start to finally come into his own in my opnion. For a tin dog member to the cast , he stopped becomming annoying and became tolerable oh well.

And as for the cybermen sounding slightly like daleks it's the same guy doing the voices of the cybermen who did the daleks.

14. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    And in Tomb Of The Cybermen (which, incidentally, should be compulsory viewing for everyone).
    And I still say they should have named that tenth planet in the solar system they found a while back Mondas ;) 

15. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Loved it. Cyberman looked incredible. Can't wait to get the toys. I loved the reaction of The Doctor finding out that alternate Rose was a dog! That was hilarious! :lol 

16. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Well after watching the Sunday morning Broadcast on BBC "BitTorrent" I have to say I was well pleased with the episode. I just hope they have a good reason for them being shunted to the alternate Earth.

17. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Cybermen were built by Lumic, an evil genius who cannot walk and needs to move around in his chair and is hooked up to life support. He has taken organic life and shoved inside a metal shell to make them a far more powerful and capable life form. And so Davros has created.... I mean Lumic? Did I say Davros? Of course not, they're not even remotely alike why would I have got them confused?

18. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

you forget thsi is a alternate universe. the daleks for all we know had a very similar creation to the normal universes cybermen.

i am kinda curious though if this doctor is gonna encounter this universes doctor though. i never got the impression that the timelords, other then being masters of time, where masters of realities.

19. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I beleive they are .. doesn't the doctor say something at the start wen they first crash land in the other universe that when all his people were alive hopping from reality to reality was as easy as...... er something

20. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Yes, but since they died it became very difficult, which could be the reason for the T.A.R.D.I.S' 'death' when entering the reality.

EDIT:
    *SUPER-DOOPER-SPOILER-ABOUT-FINAL-EPISODES!*
    1. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0756450/fullcredits <--- DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT A LOT ABOUT EPISODE 13 (Doomsday) REVEALED!

2. http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0756449/fullcredits <--- DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT A LOT ABOUT EPISODE 12 (Army of Ghosts) REVEALED!

Seriously, this may give a lot of info as to what happens in the final two-parter.