Non-TF: Doc Terror and Hacker in my Joe-Verse

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by mwm, Sep 11, 2017.

1. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

I started these customs years ago and wound up putting them in a drawer, unfinished. I fished them out this weekend, and aside from needing some touch-up paint, have them now finished. I used the MARS robots as the base figures, because I like the looks of them and I like that they're modular. In fact, when I saw the two that I used, I immediately thought of Terror and Hacker.

In my world, Doctor Terrence Orr worked for Cobra as a cybernetics and augmentation expert. GI Joe operative, Sgt. Hacker, was captured and given to Orr as a test subject. Orr and his team ran various experiments on Hacker, pumping him full of steroids, growth hormones, and various other agents to increase muscle mass. They then began summarily replacing or enhancing parts with prototype cybernetics. Hacker was lobotomized and had a micro-controller/neural interface implanted in his brain (explaining the scar on his head and why Hacker isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier). An accident in the lab left Orr nearly dead, so as a last ditch effort, he had his failing body enhanced with cybernetics he had built for another test subject. He claimed he was reborn a terror and started going by the name Doc Terror:
    Terror is a red MARS bot with a BBI head (modified), and a The Corps! figure's right arm and leg. The right arm socket was created by cutting off the ball joint and dremeling out so the arm peg would fit in. I then used a UV resin pen to build up around it to secure the arm in place (it is fully posable). The leg had the swivel peg cut off and a hole dremeled in so it fit the ball joint. I then used UV resin to build out the leg and make it better fit the ball joint/not fall off.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hacker was built using a blue MARS robot, 25th Anniversary Zartan lower torso and right thigh, Chap Mei pirate head, and TRU True Heroes left arm and leg. I pried the robot apart and bored out the neck so the Chap Mei head fit. Then I cut the robot in half then glued the upper half to the lower half of the Zartan torso. I cut the swivel peg off the thigh of the left leg and bored it out so it would fit the GI Joe T-bar ball joint. I cut the upper thigh off the Zartan figure's right leg and afixed it to the right leg of the MARS robot. I then cut the swivel peg off the left arm of the TRU figure and bored it out to fit the left shoulder ball joint. I also cut swivels into both wrists so the hands can spin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks nice.

Speaking of Hacker, I read an early origin of him in a Centurions comic where it said he was a former computer hacker. Odd alternate origin, but works with his name.

3. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

Thanks. And that was kind of where I was going with him, without even knowing of that origin! I didn't like the GI Joe character "Sgt. Hacker" when he was created -- the over the top filecard, the terrible look of the new-sculpt era figure, it all just made me want him out of my GI Joe. So I thought, "What if this super-clever Joe was turned into a dumber than average lackey for some bad guy?" and decided to turn him into Terror's Hacker.

4. Scaleface

News Credits:
    I will post a scan of the bio when I get home. My own scratch built Terror and Hacker are coming along too, but they are 7 inch, and much simpler and traditional in shape. You paint very well.

Attached Files:

5. mwm

mwm Well-Known Member

Those look nice, can't wait to see them finished. I wanted to emulate the originals, but even as a kid, the asymmetrical look of them always bothered me (with the extra wide bodies), so I sacrificed the parts-swapping/combining halves part of them.

Thanks for the compliment on the painting, too. I'm not happy with the black I used on Terror -- it was supposed to be a metallic, but in the pics, it just looks globby and thick.

6. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Here is the bio for Hacker from the UK Centurions comic.

It uses his little known catch phrase "Brute and Machine - TerrorXtreme!"

Centurions01_30.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1