DOA 4, The Greatest Fighter of Our Time

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    That has to be the biggest pile of Horse Shit I have ever heard, you try to get anywhere in a Street Fighter Game mashing buttons, however in just about every 3-D one that's all you need to do, except for Virtua Fighter.

I'm partal to SVC Chaos lately, but I will take Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Alpha 2 or 3 or 3rd Strike over any of the "look how pretty our fighter is" we are stuck with as of late.

I'm wondering what color the sky is in his world personally.

Here Here!!

Try doing that in SFII and see what happens!

2. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    CvS2 is my drug of choice. You just try going up against my A-groove Terry.
    ...Wow, that sentence makes no sense if you don't know what I'm referring to.

And in Kristof's defense, he probably meant that he isn't familiar with 2d fighters, and therefore resorts to button mashing every time.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Best home 3D Beat 'em up is Virta Fighter 4: Evolution. Button mash in that and you'll be destroyed by anyone who knows what they're doing. The pace and complexity of the fighting is superb, totally outclassing every 3D fighter out there. (Not being funny, but the Tekken series can suck my balls, especially after Tekken 4, urgh.) I can't wait to try out VF5, and hope that Sega changes its mind about it being a PS3 exclusive.

The DOA series has always had an element of Button bashing, but its easy to take apart anyone doing so, but it really is a faster more cut down version of Virtua Fighter, all the way back to the original DOA on a Model-2 arcade. Its pretty, a fantastic technical showcase (the Dreamcast version of DOA2 and Soul Calibur looked better than most PS2 games at the time) and a decent enough fighter, but hardly the brest. ;) 

4. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Soul Calibur > All.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I couldent get on with SVC, mainly due to the lack of Strong and Foward attacks.

The rediculously huge character rosters of the late 90s and early 00s are my personal hate with later 2D fighters. I'd rather have 15 to 20 well balanced and worthwhile characters rather then 30 to 50 that have just been thrown in with little regaurd to producing a solid game.

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Omega you really have no idea what you are talking about do you? All uniforms in the Halo universe are unisex, on the inside of that armor SPARTAN 458 Nicole probably barely even looks female, Spartans are war machines dude, they've been physically and mechanically augmented and shouldn't even be considered human anymore. What does it matter if she doesn't look female? Female Spartans have existed in Halo lore since the first book, and they've all been wearing the same armor as the male Spartans. Bottom line, its how its supposed to be, no reason to mess up the way things work now.
    As for the Halo plug, the franchise didn't even NEED the plug if you're thinking it was just advertising, Halo and Halo 2 are still the best selling games on the Xbox. And contrary to what you believe, Nicole does have a significant storyline role, maybe if you'd pay more attention and stop complaining about how there's no Spartan boobs in DOA 4 you'd be able to figure that out. She's MILITARY, do you think women trained in the military would fight any differently than men under the same combat training? Just stop whining and enjoy the game, and if you don't want to do that, stop ruining it for everybody else.
    On a lighter note, I love DOA 4, me and my friends have regular mashups, I don't know if I could call it the best though, as I haven't played a lot of fighting games that've been mentioned here :/

7. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

Hopefully Tecmo comes out with a DOA5 for the Xbox 360 before too long. It would be terrible if all of the fans had to wait for the "next" system before we get the next game.

I wonder how Tecmo will carry on the story after DOA4 and through DOA5?

8. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excuse me for not being a Halo geek, but I still think it's really lame. I didn't say that she needed breasts, what I want are feminine features. For the armor to reflect that it's a female character not a woman dressed as a man. Would it have been that hard to give her curviture in her leg arm, and other parts? I'm saying she needed to be sexy or anything. The bottom line is though from an artists point of view it's really weak. It shows that they didn't want to go through the trouble of making the character unique in any way. First and foremost, Halo is just a game not some glorious epic. The female Spartan was most likely taken into thought since the first game which they decided they didn't want to have a seperate design just to save disk space/time. You can give me that unisex arguement all you want, but it the end if Bungie really wanted they could have made her armor different in some way. Maybe you are the one that needs to step back and think about things. Also, the books are just that books which lend nothing great to the games unless they chose to include material from them. It's just like all those Star Wars novels, unless Bungie adds them into the games or movie they are not canon. I made no complaints at all about her fighting style, which we have idea how a Spartan fight anyway since Master Chief only uses firearms in Halo. I never said she had to fight gurly, that I wish she'd at least walk with evidence of a female anatomy under the armor. It's a simple fact if you know how the human body is, that the opposite sex is built slightly different which cause them to have a different walk; not to say they couldn't be mindful and change that walk. In her pre-fight cutscenes she shows slight signs of feminine walking which is completely absent in her actual in game rigging. Nicole in DOA4 has no real storyline other than she some how came back in time. It's all just a cheap excuse to put in a Halo character to get hype for Halo 3; a thinly veiled one at that. I can also prove conclusively she isn't a canon character to DOA4 because when she is unlocked she's on the same row as characters like Tengu and the Hyper Clone. She's just there because DOA is an X-Box game and a plug for Halo simply enough. Now, if Nicole appears in Halo 3 and makes some reference to DOA 4 then i'd say otherwise. Though clearly, she is just an unlockable character design to get hype simple and clean. Halo and DOA are not so serious you need to bash me about my opinion. Just for the record, IMHO, you could put the 360 controller on the ground and stomp on it and you'd probably beat someone.

9. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I seriously disagree with you, Bungie is not only focused on making a great game, they're focused on making a great story, the books and all the other material have specific tie in to the rest of the Halo storyline, they don't have to be worked into a game for them to be true to the storyline, and actually part of it (and please don't compare it to the massive wave of SW novels, there's only 4 Halo books). Halo is a great game, don't get me wrong, but its storyline has attributed to more than 3/4 of its fanbase, not just the game.
    While Nicole's excuse is kind of odd, and could've been done without, its still a nice addition to the game, Spartan amor is armor, I mean, look at Samus, everybody thought she was a guy at first, armor is armor, that's all there to it. Now, if they had made an alternate costume for Nicole where she DIDN'T have any armor on, that would've made a lot more sense and we wouldn't have this debate. And Halo 3 wasn't even announced when DOA 4 came out, so stop seeing it as an advertisement, if somebody owned an Xbox 360 with DOA 4 most of them probably either had played or owned Halo and/or Halo 2 already, Bungie and Team Ninja of Tecmo were just two different companies who wanted to work together on something, even if it is as minor as an unlockable character in the game.
    As for another DOA game, there's already DOA Code Chronus, DOAtec and DOAX 2 all planned out for the 360, so I'd say Team Ninja has their hands full at the moment.

10. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Joseph Staten (Halo2 Cinematic Director): “The books are, for better or worse, part of the canon. In the future we may choose to revise or flat-out ignore some of the less appealing ideas (Johnson's biological immunity to the Flood, for example), but folks should treat them as defining elements of the Halo universe.”

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Dudes, seriously, wikipedia the fucking paragraph and learn to love it.

12. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Retired Admln Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Pinterest:
    [​IMG]

13. Skywarp_TPK

Skywarp_TPK Harbringer of the MegaDub

Personally, I find the game to be aggrivating. the lack of a block or counter button really makes the game more difficult IMO.

Still, it's okay, but not as good as Soul caliber 2 on the Xbox.

14. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

button mashing....nuff said

-recent games have shown that if I mash buttons correctly I kick anyones ass-soul calibur and DoA I NEVER played that game, AND OWNED THE WHOLE CLASS-rather humiliating as most pof them who had consoles had those games-and me at the time didnt even have the cube I now posses.

streetfigther and all those 2D gamess.....welll I have never in my life won a sigle round of streetfigther. and capcom versus marvel or any king of figthers.

15. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

Playing 2d fighters is alot like learning to do something, if you practice alot you'll be awesome at it, if you dont then your better off not even trying. More often times then not me and a friend will have to show people how to play and if I ever went toe to toe with said friend he will kick my ass in street fighter 3. Where as doa and them I can pick up and play and soul calibur really hasnt offered anything new IMO since soul calibur on the dreamcast. DOA is flash and no substance I find. I think thats a reason 2d fighters are not as big anymore there is a learning curve with alot of 3d fighers its just pick up and play

16. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd agree with you if not for the fact that they seem ready to ruin the KOF series buy going 3D...

I challenge your A-Groove Terry with my N Groove Geese!

I have trouble executing the Raising Storm, yet I l know the Deadly Rave like the back of my hand... wierd, huh?

Sorry, mate... couldn't resist

WHAT THE KCUF?!?!?!?! Are you serious?!?!

I'm probably gonna have a lot of responses in this thread... 2D fighters are a passion.

DOA has a story now?

Look, there are more 2D fighting games out there besides Guilty Gear and the early VS games... and any fighting game starring Wolverine.

EDIT: You don't need to have multiple posts in a row for multiple Quotes TFW2005 Staff

17. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

To block, try the blue X button on the 360 controller.

18. Jesus

Jesus Destroyer of Scudsy

Yup. Bungie recognizes all previous books and will recognize any future (i.e. the Marvel comics) books as canon of the Halo universe.

Secondly, I don't think you quite understand Omega. I'm sure if Bungie wanted to they could make a female version of the armor, or at least the one you're thinking of, but that would be for the most part giving in to the extreme stereotype of the female persona. The Halo universe was not created by Itagaki after all. I doubt making a female Spartan armor would take up any "disk space/time" either as Bungie could just as easily draft up a copy of for a more feminine armor with more curves and whatnot. But they didn't. Why? The "unisex arguement" isn't so crazy. These are hardened women who are at the pinnacle of human kind's strength just to wear a battle suit that gives em a little more strength and speed. Yeah, no doubt there's obviously going to be some feminine traits left and as you said yourself, outside of battles, Nicole does show some of those traits, but you expect her to have those traits in a fight? Cmon. I could understand is if the Halo universe had a more lighter suit for women, but to expect "curves"? Don't you think that's a little demeaning? Especially for woman part of the strongest line of human kind's military? You're falling to the stereotypes of the game.

And yes, a Spartan probably knows how to handle something other than a gun considering the Mjlonir armor intentionally increases their strength.

19. Skywarp_TPK

Skywarp_TPK Harbringer of the MegaDub

I don't know, SC 3 allowed you to make your own fighter.

20. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I meant in gameplay wise as far as the features and extras, that series will always give you your 50 bucks worth