Do you *want* size-changing?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Angel Magnus, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Angel Magnus

Angel Magnus Well-Known Member

I just had a conversation with someone on another site, which basically amounted to Animated sucks because they avoid size-changing.

It came about by him saying that Soundwave should be a "tape cassette" (his words, I took to mean a cassette player), and I explained that they try to avoid size-changing where possible (as well as cassettes being very old tech that doesn't fit into 2008, let alone the near-future of Animated).

Do people actually want them to do size-changing again? I mean, the obvious "Spike picks up Soundwave, brings him into the Ark and places him gently on Teletraan 1's console" kind of size-changing, not the inconsistent animation kind, where Cybertron Heavy Load may or may not be human-ish-esque size, possibly.

I guess I just assumed people preferred that they didn't do it, where possible.

2. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    In the comic books I love it. Because it's well defined and you know when their changeing form its a result of advanced sub space technology.

When they do it on the show it is that, but you have less time to reflect on its significance a character just transformed from a handheld device into a giant robot. no explanation for your logic other than: " "that character always does that ..I guess its his special ability."

Soundwave as a cassette player is really just the ultimate decepticon with all the tapes collected though.

I liked soundwaves portrayal in animated. He had the voice, he had the shoulder cannon and was dispensed by a giant g1 soundwave.

You can't please everybody, but I hope next time soundwave will make more of a impact. laserbeak would help.

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Not really, no. It worked fine for a kid's cartoon in the 80s, but Transformers has gotten on fine without it since then, so I see no need to bring it back.

4. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Please, no size change, but in Animated we still have it. Prowl goes from a bike which is obviously much smaller than any other autobot, to bing taller than bumblebee and ratchet in bot mode.

5. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Whether you want it or not, it is not happening.

6. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

It's not going to happen. It was only used in G1 to sell the toys.

7. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

no

8. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Size changing is the reason I don't like Megatron, Soundwave or any other hand held device. I even hated the size changing when I was little, it confused the hell out of me. I don't know how many times I asked "How can Soundwave be as tall as Megatron in bot mode but then fit in the pocket of a human in alt mode?" Nope! Don't like it at all!

9. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The way I see it G1 had mass shifting because they were making a show to fit existing toys. Now we have for the idea for a show first and the toys second so alt modes can be selected that for the most part fit.

While mass shifting was fun back then and didn't bother me I am just as happy now without it.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't.

11. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I never had a problem with size-changing. Megatron's Size changing was so he could shunt his energy into one purpose, shooting things.

And I never had a problem with a Spy-bot like Soundwave becoming small. Frenzy in TF the movie showed why it is a good skill to have.

And Perceptor never bothered me either. And with the REAL GEARS are they to assume those guys are forever the size of a smurf? If there was a show, I don't think I would have a problem with them shifting into human-sized robots like Frenzy even if it meant size changing.

I really don't care either way. If they have a good reason for it, fine. I am not going to scream OMFG LOGIC AND SCIENCE BOOOOOOOO. And for those who hate size changing but make sweet love to their classics... just remember Car vs Jet. Masterpiece starscream is closer to scale with classics Autobots than alternators.

12. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Even as a kid I was always distracted by it. Lets just keep it in the past.

13. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I have to say, I do like the idea of size changing for certain Transformers. Such as with Soundwave. It allows him to blend in and infiltrate yet not have to be tiny in his robot mode. Not to mention his cassette minions who are human sized in their robot modes who can run missions on that scale when needed.

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What he said!

15. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Mass changing, bothers me. The way I understand physichs, it just can't be done without rebuilding the molecular structure. If you're doing that, there's no need for the regular transformation mechanisms.

I like the idea of guys that turn into aircraft shrinking into robot, but keeping their mass. That would just be a controlled expansion/contraction that doesn't require anything to be rearranged. That would give them much denser armor in robot mode, and guys that turn into cars wouldn't be staring them in the kneecaps.

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Do you get mad when a yak comes out of a shower plug? Do you foam at the mouth when giant cats invade London? If so, then YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT. These, too, are cartoons which contain VERY SERIOUS VIOLATIONS OF THE LAWS OF PROPORTION. (Remember, characters or objects changing size in cartoons is SERIOUS BUSINESS.) It is well that you consider this a very serious point, as it is IMPORTANT and WORTH FURROWING ONE'S BROW ABOUT. Size change is nothing to mess with and leads to drug use in children. Let us all hope that the FCC abolishes it and bans all cartoons that suggest changes in size and/or proportion, for fear that someone/anyone might be irked by it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  17. butz

butz slippery when wet

Eh, I could just as easily live without it. Not that it isn't neat to have a giant robot that can disguise itself as something you can hold in your hand, but it's certainly not essential to the overall appeal.

18. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

I used to worry about that, but then as modern physics evolved it became apparent that the most likely scenario for mass change does not involve rearangement of molecular structure, but an increase in the mass and volume of individual atoms. It is currently believed that the "Higgs Boson" is the particle responsible for mass, and they inhabit other sub-atomic particles. If they could be mined from the sub strata of the universe as mass energy left over from matter/antimatter annihilations and distrubuted across an object via a grid of superconductor magnets somehow, inundating each proton, neutron and electron with carefully balanced quantities of new mass, the added weight of the electrons would push them out farther from the nucleus while keeping them attached to it, plumping up the volume of the atom as well. This disparity between the atoms of this Transformer and those of the world around it should keep it's form virtually neutral electrically, making the transformers immune to normal rusting. This has all sorts of other benifits as well, such as deeper saturation of paint, and higher elasticity and tensile strength.

Chances are a lot of transformers ended up using this technology when they arrived on Earth, just because the alternate forms they were given by the Ark were not perfectly in scale with their own individual volumes. Thus we have the scale problems between cars and jets. And lets not forget the micromasters and minicons.

I am all for scale changing robots, even though everything I have said here is admittedly pseudoscience for the purpose of artistic licence. My reason is probably just nostalgia, and I am also open to exploring the Movie universe where, apart from the Allspark cube, no mass shifting exists.

Please dont hate me for suggesting this garbage!:crazy: 

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  19. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

No, I don't. Primarily because it led to us having the powerful leader of the Decepticons assuming the form of a handgun rather than some larger, more powerful engine of destruction, such as a tank.

20. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

The mass shifting has never bothered me in the slightest. It's just a part of Transformers and I accept that.