Do you want Furman back?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GoLion, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

What is Speeding Bullets?

2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

An alternate reality DC comic book series in which baby Kal-El is discovered not by Kents, but by Wayne family.

But I think that the Red Son of Krypton is more fun to read.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I love the idea of Red Son Superman.

alternate takes on characters and its mythology are pretty cool. I like what they're doing so far with Justice League Gods and Monsters too.

4. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Regeneration One could have been as good as the original Marvel comics. But he actively turned his back on what made the original comics that he wrote so memorable. I realised that about four issues in.

Singular stand-alone issues focused upon one or two plots / groups of characters, with a definitive beginning, middle and end to each issue. The best thing Furman could have done was to be guilty of retreading his past glory.

Instead we got a mess of a comic with four or five completely different groups of characters having their stories be told. There was no beginning or ending to any of the individual issues, this was writing for the trade in one of the worse ways possible. Some characters story barely even developed over time and were just stood around doing nothing. Re-read the issues but only the Shockwave / Galvatron and Starscream scenes, ignoring the rest. It just doesn't go anywhere until the end.

If you're writing for the trade, don't release individual issues of it. That goes to any writer from any publisher. Its like watching ten minutes of a movie, pausing it for a month then watching another ten minutes and repeat.

5. MegaRoadbuster

MegaRoadbuster Well-Known Member

Plenty of unforgivable sins in RG1, but having Shockwave pretty much do absolutely fucking nothing for 20 issues has to be the biggest one for me.

Well.....Maybe Scorponok being completed wasted rivals even that.

Scorponok stands on a bridge for 3 issues, and talks about conquering Cybertron, and then falls down a hole to never be seen again. So glad he was brought back to life after a great death just to have that happen. He didn't have one single scene of Awesome.

6. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

No I do not.

7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

^And this pretty much sums up everything I could write about RG1.

Not a very terrible series. I saw worse. Just a strong "meh" to me.

But Scorponok was a big downhill from his Marvel days.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That is not how I remember Furman's run on the Marvel US series at all. Everything was a mult-part quest story and nothing was self-contained, except the fill-in issue he didn't write.

Unless you mean the UK comics. Which RG1 was not a continuation of.

9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

It kinda was that way. Matrix Quest was a larger story arc, but individual issues were their own separate stories and worked well as standalones, including a panel or two with a convenien reminder why they're all looking for Matrix. Only the final issue with Thunderwing's demise couldn't work as a stand alone book.
    Can't say I'm a big fan of writing for trades...

10. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Sales wise, we're not yet at a point where that's a good idea. The singles usually subsidize the publishing costs of the trades, basically.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's a flawed model. If they're going to write for the trade but rely on periodicals, then the release rate needs to be pushed up to weekly, like Japan or England. When the chapters come out every week on the same day every single week, things being written for a completed book doesn't annoy as much. Because the stream of incoming story feels more constant. It's when you have to wait a full 30 days between slivers of story that don't work on their own really starts to not work.

12. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    And then also the delays added to that...

13. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Doesn't matter if RG1 isn't a continuation of the UK comics. Furman still wrote for the UK comic and those are some of the most memorable stories Furman has written.

And Matrix Quest does have self-contained stories part of a running narrative.

14. HasTok_WFCTX_106492

HasTok_WFCTX_106492 Well-Known Member

Many fans say RG1 wasn`t a continuation of the UK run, but in reallity it did feel very much UK than US,furman started sneaking in his UK inventions into the US run starting with the deathbringer deal in the original marvel US run,in RG1 the UK deal was in full force like having ultra magnus which never showed up in the US run except in the cartoon rip-off comic big broadcast of 2006,than we have furman`s obsession with having a ultra magnus vs galvatron story again,the wreckers,auntie computer hologram,etc... I gave up on furman, he should have continued from generation 2 which the story went forward not back like he did in RG1.

15. Nightshade2000

Nightshade2000 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This. I couldn't agree more with this. I can understand the attraction of RG1 continuing from 80 (like GI Joe did from 155 ignoring Devil's Due) but G2 was G1 continuation during the marvel days and crossed over GI Joe (which already happened in 24+25 of TF G1). Anyway, there were cool potential threads to continue from G2 and he still could've pulled in Ultra Magnus and such.

I liked RG1 as it was coming out, but it definitely felt a little joyless with so many deaths..

16. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

No.

17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Sure, why not?

Give him a chance, I've always enjoyed his stories. Him coming back would be twofold, possibly getting good stories again, and making a bunch of people extremely salty and butthurt.

I love how utterly brutal some people are about Furman, yet when anyone criticizes or insults any female member of the team, its suddenly a problem.

18. Thinktank

Thinktank Well-Known Member

No. He is a nice guy in person, but just 'No'.

19. Resistor

Resistor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That has got to be one of the great joys in life for Hasbro executives, and I hope to one day experience it.

20. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    A lot of people critisise Scott's writing and rightly so. Some people though make an issue of it just because she's a woman.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016