Do you think you will ever outgrow Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodimus

Rodimus The Prime Producer

Lately I've been finding it harder and harder for myself to get excited about Transformers. It seems I may be outgrowing my love of them, or at least be having some down time. It seems I have little spirts. Seems I only go for the stuff that is G1 characters.

I don't even bother watching Cybertron any more because I just wasn't entertained by it. The main characters performances like Optimus Prime's just didn't keep me into the story. That may be part of why I seem to be fading away from Transformers. I don't think I've actually bought one in over 6 months and those are still in the closet never opened...

Anyway, because I've had to force myself to try and have a ritual just TO get excited about Transformers lately, I started to think... Am I just getting too old to care? And what about my fellow fans? What will happen when we all are 50 and 60 years old? Will we all still be transformers fans? Or will we have out grown them?

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Well, I outgrew them back in '89, save for a couple of minor exceptions I didn't get excited or even interested in TFs until Beast Wars came out here. I did for a time feel my interest in TFs waning, but that was mostly because I was at university, away from home and my collection. If anything that was more a reaction to the fact I'd had enough of university after four intense years than outgrowing or anything.
    I can see myself moderating my collecting more, but I can't see myself outgrowing TFs. I love many things mecha and sci-fi, its a part of who I am. For me to outgrow any of it would be for me to become someone else entirely.

3. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

nope. I fully intend to be 80 years old collecting TFs that are actual functioning robots.

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is not.

4. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

No.

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I outgrew them once, then Beast Wars killed what little interest I still had in the line.

Alts brought me back to my senses, and I don't plan to leave again.

6. UDontKnowSith

UDontKnowSith NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nope. You're never too old to have a happy childhood.

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lol  :lol  :lol 

I do find this so funny! I'll be 50 in July 2006. :bday  If being "adult" and "grown up" means to deny yourself the joys of your collections, then I want no part of it. In fact, as you get older, putting away things you've always loved is a possible sign of the beginning of Dementia! :confused2 

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I outgrew them once around 1987/88. I don't really expect to 'outgrow' them again, though I could see possibilities where "real life" takes precedence and any collecting might have to be put on hold, or even reversed. Another possibility might be that Transformers could 'outgrow' me, and the toyline(s) start going in directions that I might not be interested in following.

9. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This hobby is my midlife crisis (or so my wife says). I am having fun getting the toys, so I don't think I will grow out of it soon.
    I am more worried about my kids growing out of toys one day.

10. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I outgrew TF toys after G2; I just didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling any longer. I went through college during the Beast Wars years and couldn't imagine anything cool about transforming monkeys, except the show! I didn't buy a single BW TF, but I watched the show whenever I could catch it. RID was introduced a year after graduation. My first thought upon seeing those new TF toys was that they indicated a return to G1-esque TFdom. No dice. The toys were cool, but, the show sucked goat balls, IMO. Kids these days just aren't lucky enough to have decent role models like a lot of us did. Where's G1 OP and John Wayne? After RID came Armada toys and the show, neither of which I cared for all that much (except for Unicron). Energon seemed like more of the same wussified shit we saw in RID and Armada. Cyertron is actually shaping up to be a decent toy line, but, the show still feels thin to me. Alternators womp ass.

When I really think about it, I don't feel that I've grown up as much as TFs have.

11. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, unless the line goes back to the BW route, there's no way I'll lose interest...

12. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    It's natural that interest in any hobby will go up and down over time. My interest was going down about a year ago, so I started looking for other things. I collected GI Joes for a month or so, but when I started checking up on the TF news sites again, I got interested again with the news I missed. For me, I think a major part of it was that I was so into the internet TF community that nothing felt fresh anymore. Perhaps, if you take a break until next year's botcon, you'll get excited when you come back to check out the news? You should try to find a new interest if it's getting boring, anyway.

13. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I probably won't actively collect them forever, but they'll always be special to me, so in that sense I'll never outgrow them.

Don't worry if your interest is fluctuating. It's natural and happens to just about everybody. Take a break. If you're a big G1 person you've got some really exciting times on the horizon what with the new G1 based line and after that the basically G1 based movie coming in the next 12-18 months.

14. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Discussion boards will always pull some of us back in.

15. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

I did when Action Masters came around, G2 kinda got the spark going but not like it did when I was younger and then Beast Wars came around and I've gotten a little of each line since then (well got all the show characters for Car Robots/RiD anyway, except BBC/Scourge)

Galaxy Force gave me that spark again, as well as the reissues and the Alternators (just bad luck finding those) After this, who knows though I will be sticking to GI Joe & TF as my main toylines for awhile.

On if will continue, who knows, depends on when I have kids and how they treat them I guess.

16. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I'm going to go outside the box.

I don't know,I mean it's easy as HELL to say "No I'll never give it up" but guess what you have no reason to since the line's still going strong

But wait a few years when*hypotheticly speaking* the TF line dies and there's no more toys,comics or cartoons.Then your tune will probably change.And let's face it the toy line won't last forever.It died after G2 and will probably die again

And I'll be VERY surprised if TFs are still around when I'm 50-60 yrs old

Besides it's just TFs and not a way of life. Whether or not anyone will admit it, EVERY ONE of us will get bored of TFs eventually.

IMPO to say "I'll never quit" is to say you'll never change or expand yourself as a person

17. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hope not. Of course if I do, I'll be able to earn quite a bit of money by selling everything.

I'm pretty damn addicted right now. Watching Galaxy Force for the past 7 months or so was wonderful, and there's enough stuff coming out this year to keep me going until the movie hype really kicks up in a year or so. Then the movie itself and everything that goes with it (hopefully sequels etc) should keep me going for maybe another 5-8 years beyond that, so the future looks good. Except for my wallet. :p 

18. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm 28. If I was going to outgrow them I would have done so by now. The only thing that would stop me from being interested is if the toys started sucking again (late 80s for example).

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Beast Machines flat-out killed TFs for me. it honestly made me hate transformers, and I ended up getting rid of anything from my old collection that wasnt in near-perfect condition. never owned a single toy from the series, and I never will. the closest I come now is having RiD Stormjet, and Universe Megabolt.

then I bought RiD Optimus Prime. wasnt impressed enough with it. it's "transformation" bugged the hell out of me. only RiD figure I bought while RiD was still in stores.

Armada brought me back. I own almost everything from armada. just no repaints that arent new characters. I also ended up buying a ton of G1 and G2 figures around that time, and so in one single year my collection gained around 320 new TFs.

Now, I'm unemployed, I can only buy a transformer every few weeks, and even then its a basic or a deluxe. Can't afford to shop online either. not even THIS has stopped me from loving TFs. Beast Machines made me hate TFs, but lack of money? hell no. I think I'm in it for the long-run now.

20. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll be collecting Transformers till the day I die.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.