Do you think today's toys will someday be worth as much as G1 today?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by chocula78, Oct 16, 2006.

1. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If you go on Ebay you'll know what I am talking about. Some G1 toys which are MISB, because they are EXTREMELY rare, can go for hundreds or even THOUSANDS of dollars on Ebay. I don't know how much they go for at live auctions or conventions; ebay is all the experience I have.

Do you think that today's lines (RID all the way up to the latest Classics) will someday be worth as much as G1 figures? Will someone be paying several thousand dollars for a MISB Cyb OP on Ebay 20 years from now?

Edit: Wow, this thread title has terrible sentence structure. Whoops.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    no...the "business" of collecting has grown leaps and bounds over the years, and i think there are four times as many people, maybe more, who are buying stuff and holding onto it MISB to resell later, which means itll be more common....there will be certain figures that might, but overall, i really doubt it...the prices will rise, but not as much as g1....

3. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    No. First there are more people buying them to keep and not just to play with nowadays. 2nd the toys are made better and less prone to breakage and so more will exist intact 20 years from now then did for G1, and 3rd the Transformers of today can't match the hype they got when they first came on the scene back in 84. They do well, but it's not the nationwide phenomenon that G1 was.

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    What was said above. I believe mainly due to the higher number of "collectors" out there now.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    NO.

the SW guys went over it in the 90s. the old toys from the 80s are valuable because nobody then had the foresight to collect mint in packaging toys.

these days, everybody and their cousin twice removed on their mothers sides are doing it.

HENCE.

no rarity. no cash cow.

6. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Well-Known Member

The only Transformers that will be worth any money are the ones I do not buy.

7. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    Not Transformers. MiSB cell phones and video game stuff will be worth money. There is already a retro trend with cell phones going on in some places.

8. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think the newest Transformers that will hold up like this are some early Beast Wars toys, and even then only signature guys (like Primes/Megatrons etc). Transmetal Optimus Primal goes for peanuts these days.

Otherwise no, because everyone is hoarding we're not going to see massive prices. Ever.

9. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
  10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

No way. Rule of thumb...the thing that will be valuable 20 years from now will be the thing that people will be nostalgic about but that no one will have thought to keep sealed. G1 toys are valuable because almost no one kept them sealed. Now collectors horde sealed current toys, ensuring that they will be in plentiful supply for years to come.

11. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I was to say what will be valuable in 20 years, I'd say: Power Rangers, Pokemon, TMNT (old) or maybe Yu-Gi-Oh. Once the kids that grew up loving those start getting jobs, those items will be wanted by them & most of that stuff now is just bought/played with by kids and not kept mint by collectors.

12. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Another vote in the no way-hosay!

13. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nope.
    Only recent toy I can think of that might become valuable in 20 years time is Armada Sideswipe. Almost everyone hates him and treat him so badly there wouldn't be any MISB one left.
    (I actually quite like him ;) )

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I agree with this statement. I forsee Pokemon being worth alot in about another 15 years. Noone collected pokemone other than kids, and even then they collected to play with. Not much held onto.

15. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    What about the really exclusive stuff like an Alt Nemmy Prime? I think some figures, like the masterpiece prime and starscream may be pretty valuable someday.

16. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I would think that generally items that are new to the market (like G1 was back in the day--it was a totally new toy, not counting Diaclone) would tend to be worth more in the future. The current toys aren't as "historic" if I could use that word, as the originals are. If one were to go into a store today with the intention of putting the item away for $$ 20 years down the road, find something that's relatively fresh, and is also popular with the kiddies. Therein lies your 'gold'.

17. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I'm starting to think that the current lines like Cybertron and the Classics won't be worth as much the original G1's and the rarer bots to follow.

Thats why I'm opening almost all my new TF's. They aren't any fun unless you get em out and transform them. Even if I had an older MISB, I'd still be tempted to break it out of it's cardboard prison and face it off with other toys!

18. Janne Da Arc

Janne Da Arc Heaven's Place

No..Back in G1 days no one would have thought it would worth as much as today..But then again we were kids back then who simply rip open toys when our parents bought it for us..We don't even know terms like MISB etc..Now we've grown up to be collectors and know the values..I am sure prices will soar for today's transformers in 10-20yrs down the road,but it won't be as much as the vintage G1.

19. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I think this goes for all "collectible" toys now. In the 80's few people were buying up toys to keep MISB with the forethought that they may be worth a lot of money someday. Toys at that time were just that: toys. Later, when toys like the original Star Wars figures started to command higher premiums, people started buying other toys as an investment. Some have made out on this, but I think more have probably lost money.

20. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Did anyone posting here actually buy TFers 20 years ago and keep them sealed? I remember the thought running through my head when I was a kid, I liked collecting stuff, but the appeal of playing with them was too great.