Do you think this movie will be all that deep?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Pikatron, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

I was watching a story that Reuters (I think it was Reuters) ran on the TF Movie. Towards the end I saw Shia Lebeouf claim that it had more action scenes than all the Spiderman movies put together. Whether or not he was exaggerating is besides the point. I believe that a movie that has that much action has to be lacking when it comes to the story dept. The reason for the 'lack' of action scenes in the Spiderman movies was for character development.

What I'm wondering is if it'll be lacking when it comes to character development and subtle themes and ideas scattered throughout the movie. You know, things that'd make you want to watch more than once to understand everything. I've read through the early draft of the script that's floating out there and the plot seems kind of basic to me. Seems like it'll be a fun, somewhat mindless, summer popcorn flick. I'm not much of a movie critic and could be totally wrong. What do you guys think?

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I dont think it'll be "deep". I don't want it to be "deep". Transformers make for a good action movie, not a drama.

I'm sure the characters will be somewhat developed, but this is an introduction movie. they want a lot of big action to hook people. they can get more into plot and characters in the next movies once they establish an audience beyond existing fans.

3. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

QFT

The comics can get away with it somewhat, but in essence Transformers is a concept that call for action with minimal drama.

Not to say that Transformers can't have characterization, but with the expception of Beast Wars/Beast Machines. Characterization isn't really something the other Transformer shows (G1 thru Cybertron) have.

But I'm sure it'll have some development but to expect it on the level of Spiderman is reaching to be honest. Spiderman and Transformers are written in different ways. Spiderman comics have been around since the 1960's, so the movie has over 30 years of character development to borrow from. Transformers doesn't have the luxery

4. Pikatron

Good points. The whole thing about character development kind of grew on me after watching Beast Wars/Machines. I don't mind if it's not terribly deep, but I don't want it to turn out to be nothing more than a 2 hr action montage either. :) 

5. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Have you HEARD of Micheal Bay? He's famous for making brainless explosion-fests with guitars in the background.

6. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was going to say. You're looking at the wrong movie if you're expecting a plot deeper than a kiddie pool.

7. Pikatron

I liked Bad Boys and Armageddon :) 

8. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Well the G1 cartoon didn't have lots of character development, yet not too many would complain about that.

See the difference between Transformers and Spiderman is that essentially Transformers IS about robots fighting. And Spiderman's about a geeky teenager dealing with growing up as a person and into a hero.

But in the case of Transformers there's bound to be some sort of development for a few reasons

1. 1 - No matter the story every character is driven by some reason to do what he does. Otherwise there'd be no rhyme or reason and would really just be boring.
    2. 2 - If there will be sequels, unless they plan to make the movies as episodic as G1 was. There should be some development to build upon on in the next movie

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    no.

10. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

I would just expect some characterization, which is a must. But don't expect too much drama, which I hope we don't get. Transformers is mainly about action yes, but what separates it from other robots is that they themselves are sentient beings and have emotions and stuff. HOWEVER it has never been a particularly deep or thought provoking franchise nor should it be.

BW maybe a bit, but that depth came from the excellent characterization. BM did have what you're looking for, since it had many deep themes which made the audience think.

11. Screambug

Screambug King of Transformers

No, it's all about crazy car chases, blow-ups, and a girlie getting all hot with her T&A falling out of her clothes.

It's a VERY MAN movie, of course!:D 

12. MADAM_MEG

MADAM_MEG Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

13. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It will be as deep as a puddle!

14. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I think the movie will be as deep as TRANSFORMERS G1 opener More Than Meets the Eye: ie: As deep as is possible for an "introductory" instalment of what is hopefully an ongoing series designed for mass-market consumption, but ultimately not very deep at all (which is how I think it should be and how I want it!)

15. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    If the Star Wars prequels have taught us anything, it's that with enough CGI you don't have to worry about things like character development. And this movie has a lot of CGI.

16. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

Transformers? With a deep storyline?!
    I'm sorry, but I sitting here laughing my head off right now.
    That concept is hillarious to me.
    Since when did a poorly animated toy commercial ever have a deep storyline?

Don't ever expect it in TF, especially a summer block buster movie which is "based on the Hasbro toys".

This movie will be a audio/visual pleasure fest with just enough characterization to define and explain what you're watching.

17. MADAM_MEG

MADAM_MEG Well-Known Member

Let see if the filmmakers could provide any more of un-human characters connection and emotion than just an action flick in this TF prequel.

18. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

It will have a good story and get people into it, but the action will be the biggest draw. I mean, when I went to see Pirates this weekend I finally saw the newest trailer on the big screen, and some of the action they showed even more anxious to see it now.

19. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

Lets see...Giant. Robots. Fighting. Explosions. How dare anyone try to throw a deep story in there!

20. galib

galib New Member

Excatly,
    I just finished reading the novel and I thought there were too many Human parts in em. TF is not meant to be a drama as most reckon, I just wanna see Ironhide blow the living spark out of the decepticons.