Do you think this is the highest that Classics will sell for?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I have been thinking about this for a little bit of time and today I finally realized this classics collecting is getting rediculous in price.

I started in October of 2010. At that time I picked up a collection of 16 Classics for around $30 a figure. At first, I thought it was a bit steeper then I wanted, but at the same time they were all mosc and that included ratchet, ironhide, optimus, inferno, Ramjet, henkei astro train and silverstreak which were all still pretty rare at the time. So I worked out a deal. Now I am almost done with all of the G1 classics from the 84 cartoon.

If I started today, I would never be able to afford my collection. It seems like the simplest figures are sky rocketing in price and I have no clue why. Yes, they are cool, but seriously some things I am seeing are insane.

Having said all that, do you think this is the height of transformer classics collecting? Do you think that these figures will drastically drop in price in lets say 5 or so years?

I use to have a $4,000 SW collection which is now worth $200 (PM me if interested, lol). My Spawn figures are worth crapola as well. Now I don't collect for the money. But I am wondering if this like the other toys I use to collect will fall in price like crazy.

I for one don't think in 20 years these will carry their value. I see 30-40 year olds getting this stuff, but I wonder what our interest will be when we are 50 or 60. Just want to get your experiences/ideas on this.

2. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    I have been collecting toys in general since the late 1980s and if i can provide a small amount of wisdom with history repeating itself, I would say that we are pretty close to classics peaking. I don't think they have peaked entirely quite yet but we are close. Of course some of the more rare and/or desirable figures will continue to increase but over all the prices are starting to level a bit. Some things can change that though. If Hasbro takes a break from classics the line could fizzle a little and prices will decline a bit. But if Hasbro keeps them going the line will stay strong or if they take a break and then in the future start back up again it will recreate interest in them. but most likely the prices will soon level off. The prices will then start to slightly decline and stay at a fairly level point. Then as year pass they will slowly increase in value as time goes on.

3. blur3479

blur3479 Movie Prime Apologist

News Credits:
    Then I recommend not looking into henkei

4. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Like any collectables on the secondary market, if people are willing to pay those prices, they will stay the for a bit. It also depends on if the items are popular at the time. Take G1 toys for example. A year ago, booths at the flea markets near me were selling G1s at decent prices. This year, becasue of DOTM, dealers raised prices. A G1 Blitzwing that cost me $20 last year now goes for $70 at the same boot I bought mine at.
    It also depends on how they were released. Windcharger was never released in my area, so I'd expect to pay a lot more for him, than, say, Thundercracker.

5. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    I bought the 2006 originals at retail. All of them and multiples. Sold them a year later to dump money into my three wheeler. Now i had to recently start over on them. Ouch.

Growing fanbase

They will drop eventually some but i doubt drastically. just to more realistic levels. The Tf fanbase is massive and spans many generations of collectors.

Same here. Star Wars and mcfarlane toys have bottomed out. Star Wars has done so because the amount of product available FAR exceeds the demand by collectors. Star wars is now only good for those who want them to enjoy and not value. i'm talking new stuff. Old stuff still retains value. Mcfarlane stuff has lost out because it is no longer a mainstream name. Todd screwed up by massively overproducing sports picks and hasn't been able to recover even with chase figures back into the fray. Other TMP stuff just has no name recognition anymore. If kids don't know about it. they don't look for it. It is a shame because TMP makes some cool stuff.

I believe they will also. because 30-40 year olds love them now but they are passing that love down to their kids as well and kids love transformers and adults never get over transforming robots. That means the 5 year olds of today will be the 40 year olds of tomorrow still looking to buy those awesome figures they want now but can't afford and then they will have jobs and be able to get those long lost loves which is what drives toy collecting in the first place.

6. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    In 1990 before the Transformer collector craze started, i bought a mint in sealed box G1 Jetfire at a toy show in columbus Ohio for $20. I went throught some hard financial times in 2003 and had to sell it on ebay. Sold it for over $700. Even though I made ungodly profit on it, i really wish i still had that thing.

7. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought about this as well, as long as successive additions are made to the Classics/Universe/TRS/Generations Line, the earlier releases will continue to go up in value. I thought Mag/Sky warp would level off at $60, then $100, they are now selling for $150-$200 MISB. Others like Mirage/Cliffjumper have gained tremendous value after being ironically shelfwarmers (anyone remember that?) I do.

If it turns out like the alternators line, once the line is completed the demand will fall off and many of the supposed htf figures will drop in value. Swerve sold for over $100-$150 years ago, Ive seen some go for as little as $40.

Heck, even early Beast Wars items were selling for $150-$200 mosc back in the early 2000's, they wont fetch nearly as much today.
    Its really hard to say.

8. vm-01

vm-01 Well-Known Member

trnasformers as a brand will live on. classics? who knows? time will tell. Right now we have a lot of people who consider classics the jewel of their collections. if a new line comes around with better versions of the same characters that could change very quickly.

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I definitely expect the Classics figures to start dropping in price in a few years. We're already at the point where a large number of the major characters have gotten Classics-style updates. More likely than not, the remainder will come out over the next few years or so, in between Prime and the Movie lines. That will leave Hasbro with three possible directions for the Classics lines: Keep updating all of the G1 characters, even though this will necessitate releasing toys of increasingly obscure characters; start including other generations in greater numbers, which hasn't worked out very well so far (eg - TFU 2.0 Dinobot and Cheetor); start redoing characters. And we're already seeing a fair amount of people clamoring for "proper" versions of characters who have gotten a Classics-style update, so there's clearly a market for the third option. Given that, I think it's inevitable that we'll start seeing new/"proper" versions of some characters, which will result in the old/"improper" Classics versions dropping in price.

10. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

If you are depeding on toys and Social Security check as your primary retirement income, I think you're in a very deep yogurt. Here is one of a bad example for you "Nicholas Cage" ring a bell?

If you are considered toys collecting seriously, you might look into any piece of toys that only made around a dozen or so.... oh yes McFarland made a few of super collector sport figures like Barry Sanders(assuming he will not do any stupid stuff until he die. :D  )

11. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Damn it. Really? I knew it! Damn, better start selling these off.

In all reality. In the last 12 months these guys did a lot better then my 401K. LOL.

12. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, Alternators were going for crazy prices and then leveled off once the line died. Classics will continue to go up in value as long as Hasbro keeps a line that blends with classics (Universe 2.0, Generations, etc). We will have to see what the future of Generations is. The offerings seems pretty weak for the end of the year and if next year is mostly Prime and DOTM repaints then Classics could level off.

13. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    It's not only classics...the botcon and FP exclusives and G1 and other lines are the same way...up and down wildly in value...example...sold a loose but complete flamewar for $223 a month ago...and just picked a MISBag one for $176 last week....that is a huge variance on prices...

some stuff will surge...think botcon rodimus and shadow scythe armor.... and some stuff tanks ..the botcon 2005 insecticons buzzclaw and dirge

14. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    When someone asks this question, the first thing that comes to my mind is:
    Why is that so often do people make threads asking "Is (insert name here) going for SO MUCH now!?". It's because the people looking to buy those and asking those questions are NEW FANS. Who are catching up on what they missed. Like me...
    Classics, and even some movie stuff, are gonna for buttloads of cash in the future. Because we are always attracting new fans. Whether it be the release of DVD's for the old tv series, or the 25 anniversary of the movie. Or TF: Prime, or the live action films, there is always. ALWAYS gonna be a new fan looking to collect. And years from now, the kids of today are gonna want to buy the toys we're going crazy trying to find now. Because they're gonna want to find their childhood toys. Nostalgia. Look to buy that toy they never had the money to buy. ETC.

15. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

id say its about peaked. when new molds replace these the secondary market will be killed. hasbro will kill it eventually.

16. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I use to remember when those Sunstreaker/Sideswipe Botcon RID repaints used to go for crazy prices, definitely more than $100, now I think you can get em off eBay for $50 or so.

Hopefully this means in a few years, Shattered Glass Prime can be had for maybe $100 or less :D 

17. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    I pretty much agree with everyone so far. They will fluctuate depending on how well Hasbro keeps up with the particular line. Many I'm sure have thought of this, and we have already seen this (in 3 cases that I know of for sure, exact paint and molds at least), but reissues are also a variable to consider. Henkei Prime, Hound, and now Hot Rod have been reissued. So it is not unlikely that some of these figures could be reissued at some point or another. Don't hold your breath though lad.

18. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    This.

Hasbro can't resist retreading the same ground over and over again. Look at their other lines.

Eventually, Hasbro will hit some kind of breakthrough on articulation or detail and start re-doing classic figures all over again, similar to what they are doing with Star Wars Vintage.

People will consider these the "definitive" versions most likely. Demand for the older figures will drop. It might take awhile, no doubt, but it'll happen eventually.

19. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The CHUG bubble will be the next to burst, just you wait and see. XD I feel this situation hits close to home since I got into the Classics race very late in the game and got stung with second hand market prices for MISB stuff (I can and will do loose depending on the figure but I just vastly prefer new sealed stuff).

But a lot of it is definitely circumstantial and depends on other outside factors, like Classics Ultra Magnus. That recent "found" stock of City Commander armor add-on sets at FP and BBTS really drove that guy's prices through the roof. But if and when MP-10+ Ultra Magnus and his supposed armor/trailer come out, will the CC and Classics UM be worth as much? Who knows?

20. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    MP Magnus would really be out of place with the classics though, given that MP10 is already larger than the leader robots (Optimus and Rodimus with Protector) but the armor would just really make him tower over them.