Do you think this is a bad time to be a Transformers fan?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Jul 21, 2012.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    You know lately there's been a lot of decisions by Hasbro that's been complained about by a lot of people when it comes to toys,games,books,and shows. Like how the toys having different plastic,gimmicks and smaller sizes,the way shows like Prime are doing,and the way Hasbro's doing revisions and higher prices. From what I've heard this is turning away a lot of fans by this and a majority of them stop buying toys from the Prime and Generations line as a result. I'm not saying they're wrong into doing this. It's just that it's what I'm noticing lately.

Myself and a few others don't really have much of a problem with this but am I just really too easy to please and not seeing the big picture of what's a lot of people are saying what's been going on with Hasbro and Takara lately that's horrible and idiotic or am I letting other people's opnions get the better of me? It's something that I for some reason can't ignore.

What do you think? Do you think it's fine as it is or not?

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Well the show sucks, the last movie was overtaken by the Avengers, people are swearing on Cyberverse, distribution is crap, Beewarmers are everywhere, figures are small and Transformers is hanging on an as of right now unreleased videogame. So yeah, it's a pretty terrible time to be a fan.

3. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    I think its actually the best time to be a fan since TFA. The only problem i have is that they should have made the character models closer to the toys. ie. Instead of making character models and a show a while before making the toys, they should have 1)Made character models, 2)designed mainline figures based on the character models, 3)altered the character models to be toy accurate, 4)made and broadcast show, 5)released toys. THen people wouldn't be complaining about stuff like PRID Bulkhead and PRID Starscream as much

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It's always bad time to be a Transformers fan because liek everything that has and will happen will Ruin Transformers Forever.

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    On the topic of ruined forever, it seems like Movie Bumblebee has made TFWiki's list alongside pretty much everything in existence.

6. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    I think PRID Starscream's robot mode looks a lot like his CGI model but that' just me. I agree with you on Bulkhead though.
    And I do agree about being in a good time as well. I just wanted to know what are other fans opinions on what's happening lately with Hasbro that's all.

7. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems like a great time for me. FOC, excellent comics (3), FOC toys, MP Sideswipe, FOC art book. I'm quite happy. My only negative is my wallet getting emptied this year lol.

8. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Transformers is not hanging on just through a video game. It's a down year, we've had them before. The show's status, and the Cyberverse statement are mere opinion, and the Avengers making more money doesn't change the fact that DOTM broke records. It's not like Avengers breaking DOTM's records erases any of the money the movies prior made.

We have many good things on the horizon, what with two pretty good comics currently going, Masterpiece kicking into overdrive, a new game, and the return of Combiners (Whether you like the look of Bruticus or not, it's pretty amazing that Hasbro is even doing a new combiner with five completely different bots.) It's all about being patient.

9. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    There's the little things that annoy me a bit like to many Bumblebee's in cases, and no Hasbro version of Breakdown or Jet Vehicon or Ironhide (as yet).

Or the huge gap between Wave 1 Prime Voyagers and anything else. and some people are still fuming over the First Editions Debacle. and they seem to have gone to sleep a bit with Regard to Cyberverse releases too.

I'm not that bothered at least the Micron Arms toys with their (stupid) stickers are often a lot cheaper than United toys were.

Overall I'm happy - but then i'm always happy when it's 'not' a Movie year.

I'm not saying there's things that couldn't be done better though. There's some really weird release and distribution patterns on some lines (like the Prime Entertainment packs for example).

And looking back they did a pretty lousy job on DOTM toys too not so much the toys but the pattern or releases was terrible.

They might have been better off introducing a NEST/HFTD/BFTA like follow up line much sooner as soon as it was clear as plain Vanilla DOTM was going no where.

They can redeem themselves a bit by sorting out some of the mess they made at the end of DOTM in the 4th Movies toyline perhaps. If they were crafty they'd release a prelude wave in advance and include a lot of the things that didn't get released before. or just dump them on China and then try to get Target or Walmart to stock the Chinese carded items they do.

But in visual Terms Prime toys are perfectly OK to me (Better than some of the dodgier Classics are anyway).

Oh and not to mention we have 2 New Transformers TV shows (and a repeated show) on at the same time (more or less) that is noteworthy. I suppose the slight increase in comic quality from pretty terrible to adequate within defined parameters should please some people too. (Though I still think anything IDW Publishes is often fundimentally flawed to to some policies they have on the short period anyone works on a given title's art making the art jump around like a rabbit on a hot plate makes for bad looking trades (and that is where the important part of the market is for comics in either trades or digital downloads and those two things seem to pull in two different directions to me)

10. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    It's alright I guess. Still, I miss how things were back during Cybertron

11. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    It's normally. Unstable will weeded out. Something like natural selection. Someone agrees to sacrifice something for the sake of the interest (money or free time), someone don't.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If I may, and sorry to single you out but you do voice the "common opinion" nicely here:

Matter of opinion. Not seen the ratings, but it is winning daytime emmys and it is good entertainment all the same.

... which was an excellent movie and being overtaken by it does not change the fact that DotM still broke the billion and performed best of the three movies to date.

I fail to see how this is a bad thing. It's a good series and the praise it garners does not indicate a weakness in the brand as a whole.

These have been problems for as long as I have known the fandom. There's always been shelfwarming toys, in Beast Machines it was Optimus Primal for example. Distribution has always been an issue, no change there either. The only new issue is that sometimes toys aren't making it to retail at all now but that's not a new problem since it started with Animated.

Sadly I concede this one. The toys are a bit smaller then they have been. Though actually, they are only the same sizes as Beast Wars toys back in 1996 so let's not panic unduly.

It's not hanging on the game. You make it sound like that is the make or break, when in fact there are also two cartoon shows running to carry the line, ongoing toy lines, and three ongoing comics.

And you do also miss several of the good things that make it great to be a fan, including:

Two IDW comics written by people who care about good storytelling and continuity, which are pretty much considered to be the best that Transformers comics have been for a long time.

A third comic from IDW continuing Transformers Generation 1 where Marvel left off.

Two ongoing cartoon shows, Rescue Bots for younger audiences and Prime for an all-audiences appeal.

The Masterpiece line continuing and stepping up with more new releases on both sides of the Pacific.

Toys that were hard to get before like the First Editions and the Asia Exclusives confirmed to be getting a limited release in the US.

Granted, we don't have it as good as we did a couple of years ago, but there are good things still coming. It is perhaps not the best time to be a fan, but it is still a good time to be a fan.

13. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think the Rescuebots is a better representation of the core of Transformers as a media than The Current comics are as a kid friendly medium has the right level of death an destruction to it for something supposedly aimed at 7 year olds. DOTM or IDW is just a parade of destruction and death that frankly depresses me a bit. (and was why I thought the G2 comics was rather stupid too). Rescuebots has more wit and charm than that so called "Serious Media" does and it does not suffer from eyerolling levels of fanwa*k either like Transformers Animated does.

14. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Yes...Yes it is.

15. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    If you grind all that down I but it would be the colour of Bannana Custard.

(Oh and someone buy the Cyberfire Bumblebee's he's actually pretty good fun).

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Fun Fact: That must have been taken at my local TRU.

17. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Yikes! :eek:  Thank goodness my stores don't have that much Bumblebees!

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    You're new to the fandom. This shit happens all the time. Honestly, the complaining these days is lax compared to Beast wars, UT, Movies and Animated.

19. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i devosar is dincole and miroman is 1st and 2nd japanese tfs series
    optimus oprime from dinclome and megatron from miroman

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    /thread