Do you think this design of Optimus Prime should have been used in AoE instead of the current one?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JazzIsBeast, Feb 2, 2017.

1. JazzIsBeast

JazzIsBeast Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would have much preferred this design than our current one. Noticeable vehicle parts while still retaining the sleek knight style look. This is a PERFECT BLEND between retaining the vehicle-parts-in-robot-mode transformers of the first 3 films and the sleek. human like designs of the new film. In fact, I might say I like this design more than the original.

• Like Like x 2
  2. JazzIsBeast

JazzIsBeast Well-Known Member

And before anyone says they're the same, here's his actual design in the film.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ring3r

Ring3r Knows what else it can do.

Apart from some variation in the exact coloring, a few small details, and the lack of more visible truck tires in the calves.....they look the exact same. As in, they're the same design, translated from a drawing to a CG model. I like the truck-tires in the calves in the drawing though.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Where are the truck parts actually making this a transformer?

• Like Like x 6
  5. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Yes, because Transformers are totally defined by how much visible alt mode kibble they have and not on whether they actually transform. I mean it's not like Optimus Prime actually transforms in the movies from a truck into a robot. No, he doesn't transform at all.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    The third is made by RedGoblin, from our boards. But yes, I would have preferred Josh Nizzis design over what we got. Then later in the film he would get the knight upgrade, with few vehicle parts.

7. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I like that idea of an evolution of sorts of going with the concept design to start off with, then the final Movie look for when he gets the Knight upgrade. Definitely something that I would have enjoyed more so than Prime just sort of getting his Knight body, then only getting his gauntlets and rockets from the Knight upgrade.

Honestly, its hard for me to say which one I like more. I like the concept one a lot, especially with more identifiable vehicle parts and some closer matches to his movie 1-3 design. But I like the overall look and weapons of the final design better. Its a tough choice since they are both obviously similar but very different in a number of ways.

And plus, while obviously similar, they aren't the same. It is odd since the overall body shape is pretty much the same, but most of the details and actual pieces, most obviously in the chest, are different from concept to final movie design.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  8. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah this one's is less obviously Knight inspired, with the feet being stylised version of his 1-3 feet rather than the Knight feet, and the blue discs on the shoulders that correspond to the red ones in his old form. The chest has more detail from the truck rather than a huge lot of silver and the robo-pecs. The wheels are a nice touch, and in some versions of this design (the Dark Spark model was one of them) you can see wheels under the arms too.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I don't see the difference. Like I see the difference, but they're so similar what does it matter? The minor variations don't really accomplish anything.

The AOE design has better proportions I think.

• Like Like x 2
  10. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    So he has wheels on his calves and elbows. Otherwise, there is absolutely no more vehicle kibble on this concept than on the actual cgi model.

That said, I do like the overall design better. Keep the head and weapons actually used in the movie and use this for the rest of his body. That would be a bit cooler in my opinion.

11. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah, I definitely would have preferred this model to what we actually got in AOE.

Also, throw in an actual reason for the knight upgrade at a relevant time in the movie while you are at it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  12. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    My personal want. It would need an almost entire new cg model. They should have given him his original trilogy design with new truck parts when he got the new truck. Then when he grabs the sword in the knightship, he would have upgraded completely to the body he has now. That would also allow them to put out more Optimus figures, which I am never against.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2017
  13. TUROK1134

TUROK1134 Banned

They're so close that it doesn't matter.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Carcascan

Carcascan Well-Known Member

Sentinel Prime did the whole knight look better than Optimus's methinks. Like Split Lip said, the difference is just too small for it to make a difference.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    He did. Sentinel's design was pure class, and had just enough kibble without taking away from the overall aesthetic.

I almost wish Sentinel wasn't a bad guy. He looked so cool, and if I might diverge slightly, that way he could've a) survived hopefully, and b) had more interplay between Optimus and himself. The scene where they meet in Africa DC is one of the best moments in the films.

In a more subtle, character-driven film, Sentinel would've made a great foil for Optimus by representing "old thinking." He didn't have to be evil, but still see humans as a lesser species and Cybertronians as entitled because of their history. His conflict with Optimus wouldn't be immediately physical, more of a conflict of interests and ideals, culminating in them having to fight versus "I'm evil and I work with Megatron and I kill Autobots for no reason." Maybe years in the future, when the Bay movies are a bygone era and the crows finally get to me, the newest series could homage Sentinel and flesh out an admittedly far more nuanced than avergae character from the Bay movies.

But I digress. Sentinel's design really was far more intelligent than AOE Optimus in terms of utilizing it's motif. It had a more solid look and many knight-like qualities, but never literal knight armour. He had a sword, but it was like a double-sided meat cleaver rather than a perfect knight's longsword, etc.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  16. Shockwavers

Shockwavers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Too bad the voice actor of Sentinel passed away...

I'm actually kinda concerned for Peter Cullen... to be honest. I mean if they reboot these movies which I'm sure will happen in the near future the bare minimum I want is to have him in it. It's just such a shame his talents are wasted in these movies and not something better.

17. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    Other than the feet and the wheels at the calves, both designs didn't feel very different for me. It's not the worst design ever, but the design just doesn't screams "TRANSFORMERS!" for me.

I would prefer if Prime has the same body design with Sentinel in AOE and TLK, just with his AOE head design. Say whatever you want about Sentinel's characterization in DOTM, but the design is pretty cool and keep the Knight motif better than Optimus's AOE design.

18. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    actually yes

19. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Sentinel Prime was not included in the Cybertron prequel then that would be a sorely missed opportunity like these movies always do.

After knowing that Unicron is Earth, it helped me believe there can be a better reason for why Sentinel Prime chose Earth as the planet to help rebuild Cybertron. So much more can be done for the character. In fact, I feel like this excerpt for the potential prequel would never happen....

Iacon Hall of Records...

Optimus: I am here, Sentinel. Why did you bring me here?

Sentinel: Optimus, my old friend. I must talk to you in private about something.

Optimus: I'm listening.

*Sentinel Prime walks over to a carved Cybertronian knight table*

Sentinel: Do you, my friend? Know what a table like this means?

*Optimus observes in silence until he finally answers*

Optimus: It represents an ancient tale of how Cybertron came to be. How Unicron and Primus have fought.... Primus gave his own life to destroy Unicron. He gave his spark to save the rest of the universe. Once he did, our kind miraculously sprout into existence.

Sentinel: There is more to that story, my friend.

Optimus: What do you mean?

Sentinel: This is the tale of a future that is yet to come. Cybertron's doom.

Optimus: I don't know what you are talking about, Sentinel. Cybertron's fate lies with the Allspark itself. As long as we don't lose it, Cybertron will live.

Sentinel: From my understanding, our planet will die regardless from the inevitable return of its ancient enemy.

Optimus: Sentinel, you may be my teacher but we are at war with the Decepticons. There is no time to be talking about stories.

Sentinel: Indeed we are... But you must realize I am proposing a solution to the war.

*Optimus struggles with what his mentor had said.*

Optimus: I don't understand... How do you plan to do it?

Sentinel: I will leave Cybertron. I will leave for an expedition that may take eons. But in the end, I will find out the quintessential answer to saving our planet in the best possible way. Remember what the Knights used to say: No sacrifice, no victory.

Optimus: The Knights are all but legends as well. There is nothing left to take from their heritage....

Sentinel: We are Primes, Optimus. Our source of knowledge can be chosen from anywhere. I hope you can understand. Which is why in my absence, you will be leader.

*Optimus looks surprised..*

Optimus: I'm merely a soldier for now, Sentinel. I'm not much of a leader especially compared to you.

*Sentinel rests his hand on Optimus. Optimus then looks up filled with confidence*

Sentinel: Have faith, my old friend. In my view, you were always my equal.

This is taken from the Transformers One pinned thread by the way.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
  20. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    That last picture in the OP is actually Red's impression of Optimus' robot design back before we had a clear look at it.