Do you think there will ever be a successor to Optimus Prime?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Recall, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Be it from a fiction standpoint (e.g a new character becomes leader for entire series) or a business standpoint (e.g Hasbro want some new toy to be the main star)

In the past we've had Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, Ultra Magnus and Hot Shot. Do you feel its possible for any character to take the central role for a long period and have fans actually believe/enjoy it?

2. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

No.

3. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. Hasbro flat out stated that they're never making that mistake again. The closest they came was Ultra Magnus in Animated as the commander of all Autobots, but Prime was still the leader of the star group.

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I still like Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime.....IF they wrote him better and had him truly understand the full weight of responsibility on his shoulders. Always thought he looked cool, but the characterization as a "great leader", just wasn't there (toward the end of Season 3 it showed here and there). In the '86 movie, he seemed to take charge at the end, carried it a bit into Season 3 and then went on that whole "why me" kick.

But to answer the question, I don't think anyone can fully fill Prime's shoes. He's a leader, a hero, and an icon to fans and even the characters in-story. I could live with seeing a new leader, if done right (kinda like they did for Prime in TFA--have the new leader experience things and learn to be a great leader and not mope around doing it just because you have to).

5. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

no way he's just to popular and my fav

6. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    this!

Rodimus rocks.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

He's just too iconic to replace. It's a bit like attempting to replace King Arther with one of the knights or Robin Hood with one of the Merry Men. No matter how good the replacement is there just isn't any real replacement for Prime.

I think Animated though did a great job of showing that Prime's style of leadership can change so it doesn't always have to be exactly like it was with G1. Just like any old story he can be adapted to reflect the times in which the tale is told.

8. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Thanks to Animated yes I do, having some one like UM as over all leader and different season focusing on different groupes of TF with cross overs could work really well, although I don't want any with rodimus prime mainly cos I hate his name, charicter isn't so bad.

9. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Unlikely that OP will even be considered for replacement in the forseeable future. The movies have now reinforced Optimus Prime's cultural icon status so that now his name and face is recognised by everyone.

As long as people don't want Optimus to die, Hasbro will keep him alive.

My prediction for the future is that Optimus Prime will continue to be re-envisioned in new incarnations, but his core characteristics and visual features will always be maintained and may even become more distilled and focused. The fusion between his recent movie design and his original G1 appearance has already begun in comics.

10. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Nope.

Optimus Prime = $$$.

11. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This, really. Prime as a character has reached the same status older characters like Batman have attained. If someone is written in as his replacement, it'll likely be a temporary arrangement to get more publicity for the comics or TV show.

12. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

This.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Did we ever think there could ever be another memorable Star Trek USS Enterprise Captain other than Kirk?

I think until it happens and is done right we can never say no to a new leader to replace Optimus or at least be seen as his equal in the fandom. Many Autobot leaders have come and gone and none of them have been as iconic as Optimus Prime to have been able to stay at the top.

I think a lot of it is Optimus is a leader built out of the leader basics and he doesn't go too far one way or the other from the leader middle ground for too long. Other leaders have had some kind of quirk or strong personality traits, while Optimus fulfills just the leader archetype and fuzzes slightly into the other fringes now and then. Other attempts to do leaders for the heroes has just stepped too far away from that in their attempts to be un-Optimus Prime-like and that's why they tend to fail in my opinion.

I think Optimus Prime has been leader for so long now that anyone new just isn't going to work unless they're very Optimus Prime-like anyway, which kinda defeats the point of having someone new.

14. Rodimus_Prime

Rodimus_Prime Protector

News Credits:
    Rodimus Prime had a really good start with how Hotrod became the chosen one. Came out and beat Galvatron and help destroy Unicron in the 86 movie. I feel like they should have written him into a better storyline after the movie almost like the TF:Animated Optimus Prime. If that occured, he would have been a good successor to Optimus Prime. I mean they emphasize the self doubt too much to the point that he sounds like a whiner/complainer. I mean self doubt is natural but the writers(whomever is responsible) should have eliminated that and through time became more of self confident leader. I think if that occured it would have help ease transistion from Optimus to Rodimus.

But now, Optimus Prime is iconic, hard to replace something like that.

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I think the way TFA did it was perfect. You're never gonna make a Prime more kick-ass and popular than peoples memories of G1 Prime, so instead of trying to make him the all singing all dancing win of the world, show a younger Prime earning his stripes.
    I'd like to see a series with an Optimus character, who only receives his Prime title after first taking down Megatron, or something of similar accolade. They potentially could have done this with animated, but the Optimus Prime trademark is probably worth too much to water down now.

It would have been nice if Rodimus had eventually come out of Op's shadow and learnt to be his own guy. He kind of did in the UK comic if my memory serves me correctly, but then he also hired a Bounty Hunter (freelance peace-keeping agent, sorry) to take down Galvatron so maybe a bit of self-doubt might have helped him now and then.

16. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I think the way TFA did it was perfect. You're never gonna make a Prime more kick-ass and popular than peoples memories of G1 Prime, so instead of trying to make him the all singing all dancing win of the world, show a younger Prime earning his stripes.
    I'd like to see a series with an Optimus character, who only receives his Prime title after first taking down Megatron, or something of similar accolade. They potentially could have done this with animated, but the Optimus Prime trademark is probably worth too much to water down now.

It would have been nice if Rodimus had eventually come out of Op's shadow and learnt to be his own guy. He kind of did in the UK comic if my memory serves me correctly, but then he also hired a Bounty Hunter (freelance peace-keeping agent, sorry) to take down Galvatron so maybe a bit of self-doubt might have helped him now and then.

17. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

Why fix what aint broken?

18. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

If they do, it would only be temporary, just like with Rodimus.

19. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Kirk was directly tied in with actor William Shatner though. Since everyone gets old and dies, it was expected that there would be a successor. Yeah, they can recast, but it's not the same.

Optimus is like any comic or cartoon icon. He's timeless.

20. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    the day optimus prime gets an alt mode of a tug boat...he will be sunk and destroyed by foreign nationalistic terrorists...not till then.