Do you think there is any commercial appeal to really explore the old G1 cartoon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Distant1, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:42 PM.

1. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

Hey All.

I know there is are mixed feelings about G1 or G1 inspired shows. As I have said on other threads I wish that Hasbro (or whoever) would really do missing or relatively unexplored parts of the original G1 cartoon (and stay really true to it). The obvious one is the missing link between the end of series 2 and the 1986 movie. But I think there are so many other areas to be explored. Such as the original triumph of the Autobots over the Decepticons (through transforming - this could show the Decepticons who were in were depicted as statues in the Hall of Heroes in Starscream's coronation, the rise of Megatron (pre the War Dawn episode), the fall of the Renegade Decepticons, just to name a few.

Do you think that this would have commercial appeal?

If so, how would think it would be best presented in terms of profitability - cartoon, comic (like IDW) or something else?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    The only thing I would want is exploration of the gap between the Great War and the Beast Wars era.

Show how the war came to a end. The ultimate fates of characters like Optimus Prime, Galvatron, and so on. Show the Pax Cybertronia being formed and what impact it had on both sides. Were there any post war Autobot missions to engage Decepticon holdouts that went rogue? Show what events led to the Autobots undergoing downsizing and giving rise to the Maximals. Along with the decline of Iacon and the rise of Cybertropolis.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Distant1

Thanks replying, I have started two threads without any replies so I did not want a hat trick (three in a row).

Yeah, I would like to see a connection between the end of transformers g1 cartoon and beast wars.

I am still surprised how little interest in earlier elements though. You could introduce characters like Sentinel Prime, Leige Maximo, Lord Straxus into the G1 cartoon and make some Star Wars like prequels, but if the fans do not want it, why make.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I would love a cartoon set between the ending of the sunbow cartoon and Beast Wars. Stylistically like Armada and you could insert the best stuff that we got in later incarnations. Like Starscream's ghost somehow gettimg himself a new body that somehow resembles his Armada body and all the cool stuff like Powermaster Optimus and whatever we never saw in the cartoon and Overlord, etc. We could have Wreckers, a G1 version of Bulkhead, Lugnut and Lockdown. Windblade and Drift. A toned down version of the DJD. There's so much stuff they could do. Shattered Glass episodes, the post war stuff like in IDW, have the Lost Light travel space and find the Knight of Cybertron, etc. I just want it to look cool with a lot of detail and not stylized like they usually do.

But it will never happen! Cyberverse is basically the most we can get, I guess. And I don't really like Cyberverse.

5. Distant1

I have not seen Cyberverse, but is it like a re-incarnation of S1 and S2 of the original G1 cartoon?

6. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    If it was on netflix for an older audience, id watch it.

Look up how many seasons of voltron they have done. That show is doing gangbusters.

Sad thing is it wont happen while hasbro do bottom dollar garbage like machinima.

7. Distant1

I see that Voltron had a 78 episode commitment from Netflix. Pretty impressive.

I would love to see essential Transformers the War Within Series done but from the original cartoon (rather than comics) perspective.

I think the assignation (and events leading up to) of Sentinel Prime (as per FFOD) could be compelling viewing on Netflix.

8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I'd say nostalgia could be commercial appeal to explore it. I'm honestly surprised they didn't try to tie the new Combiner Wars cartoon into the Sunbow continuity just to further cash in on the nostalgia factor.

Honestly though, I'm not sure I'd ever want a continuation of the G1 cartoon. It was very much a product of it's time, and continuing it today just wouldn't be the same. The low-budget, outdated animation is what gives it charm and personality. An attempt to faithfully recreate the animation errors and whatnot would probably just come across like a mockery.

Considering the G1 cartoon was a cartoon, I don't think a comic would work...it would likely be confused with the Marvel comics considering those ran at the same time. A modernized cartoon would be too different-looking and probably be mistaken for a reboot with most viewers. I just don't see how it would work.

9. Distant1

Hopefully no major animation errors like Sideswipe standing next to Megatron in Decepticon Undersea base.

I just saw the clip of the new Bumblebee movie and just does not seem very interesting. Low expectations are generally good when seeing a movie though.

I think a movie about the rise of Megatron and the Decepticons could be really compelling. I think it gains more support if it was consistent with the G1 cartoon.

Cyberverse might be alright but seems more like an adaption of S1 and S2 of G1.