Do you think the Decepticons would have held together if Starscream had led them?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by grimlock1972, Dec 24, 2009.

1. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Okay the exact scenario is after Starscream dumps Megatron out of Astrotrain in the 1986 movie that in if in a "what if" type situation that Megatron floats into a star and goes boom or in some other fashion dies permanently and isn't re formatted into Galvatron.

Could Starscream, have held the Decepticons together or would they have descended in the chaos of an epic power struggle?

personally i am not sure Starscream could have I think eventually some of the more powerful and intelligent Decepticons would begin to plot against him. I could definitely see Onslaught doing so and I can't picture Shockwave being pleased with Starscream's leadership. Soundwave might gravitate towards a different leader as i doubt he trusts Starscream ( if indeed he trusts any other than his personal minions). The Seekers might be the only group to stay loyal to Starscream.

so whats does everyone else think?

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure the other Decepticons would become fed up with him and overthrow him.

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I think Starscream might had been a good leader if the others would stick with him. But it seems like with the cons, there is always another con wanting power. So I would think he would had to deal with somebody else like him and possible get overthrown by that con.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Starscream, although intelligent and conniving, seemed to lack the capacity for strategic planning, and certainly the raw power that Megatron has/had. I could very well see him gaining power, but keeping it could be a problem for him, I think. He would either become paranoid that one of his lieutenants would do what he did, limiting his ability to command as well as their ability to perform, and eventually, there would likely be enough of an undercurrent of hatred for him that someone else, possibly one of Megatron's other former lieutenants, would overthrow him.

There's a reason Megatron has three second-in-commands, and why he plays them off eachother.

5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm just not sure how long Starscream could have held on to power. The Decepticons are tough lot to lead because they are all motivated by different things. Some you can intimidate with brute force, some are true believers in the cause, some are motivated by greed, some need an outlet for their destructive natures, and some just need their egos fed. Megatron seems to have the skills it took to wear all those hats, but Starscream just seemed too full of himself to catch on to tricks it took to stay leader.

6. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    As has been said above, I think that Starscream would descend into paranoia and be constantly worried that someone would seek to overthrow him. I think that the paranoia would be justified. Starscream's abilities as a leader would not stretch to include much in the way of strategic planning, I think and he would be hard-stretched to maintain the support of the more powerful Decepticons for long. The other high-ranking 'Cons under Megatron's regime would be the ones to worry about. Shockwave (if we assume he didn't die in Unicron's attack on Cybertron) and Soundwave would be the ones most likely to raise an army against him. I wonder if even Starscream would be able to maintain the support of the Seekers for very long...?

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Starscream just doesn't have enogh charism to hold the Decepticons for very long. He couldn't lead them into battle, and any leader, good or evil should be willing to do anything he would ask others to do.

8. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. He would have fucked things up as he always do.

9. G1Decepticons

G1Decepticons Banned

yeah i am pretty cure starscream would of fuckd everythign up. starscream becomg the leader is like hot rod becoming leader of the autobots.

10. Optimus_Khan

Optimus_Khan Well-Known Member

This.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

It's not like Galvatron was much of a leader to the Decepticons anyway. He pretty much just shot you if you waited a second after he'd given his order to do it. He also just left the Decepticons on Chaar and ran around with Cyclonus, Scourge, and the Sweeps anyway. Not to mention forcing both Blitzwing and Octane to join the Autobots.

I think Starscream would have been a far better leader of the Decepticons. He would have actually led Decepticons.

12. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

He would not have been good enough and Shockwave would have overthrone him. Seeing that it would have been the LOGICAL thing to do. (pun intended)

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, but at least Galvatron had the power to back it up. And let's face it: if you thought you were going to get shot by Galvatron if you didn't obey an order immediately, you'd obey that damn order immediately.

14. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The other 'Cons would beat the crap out of him.

Here's a thought, though: if he succeeded, who would Starscream choose as his second-in-command(s)? I figured Astrotrain (if simply because there is no weight in space, so Astrotrain and Starscream evidently cooked up a scheme to get rid of Megatron. You'll also note that it's Astrotrain who crowns Starscream) at least, and perhaps one of the combiner team leaders.

15. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

lmao, YEAH he would have.

16. rattimus prime

rattimus prime Scout Class Prime

No way in hell, he may have been intelligent and cunning but lets face it he just doesnt inspire the fear Megatron did in the cons to keep them organized. He would of lead them on a mission it would of failed and they would of turned him, with either Shockwave becoming leader or the decepticons breaking up

17. AMG

AMG Old School

Starscream is a good Air Commander, but would fair very poorly as the top dog. He lacks the strength, charisma and military cunning of Megatron. On top of that, his ego would definitely get in the way.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, well whether Starscream is a better leader than Galvatron is kind of a moot point anyway, considering what Galvatron did pretty much first thing after becoming Galvatron. (in the cartoon continuity anyway)

I recall in the first season (when continuity was a bit above average for G1) Starscream was running the show briefly after Megatron was assumed killed in a space bridge explosion. The energy raid he led was shown to be a bumbling cluster-fudge, strongly implying he was a poor leader (though the exact how and why of it wasn't quite as clear).

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    You're asking if the Decepticon commander who ordered a full retreat from the Battle of Autobot city, a battle in which Optimus was dying, the defenses were broken and the Dinobots beaten while he had all of Devastator and superior numbers at his command would've made a good leader?

His own need to have his ego fed along with his paranoia and penchant for not thinking things through would've been his undoing. Don't forget that Shockwave hates him too. It would only be a matter of time before Soundwave, Shockwave and the others overthrew him, probably within a week if not a day.

Shockwave had control of Cybertron and is a high ranking officer, he probably would've stepped up.

20. Attacker_Prime

Attacker_Prime Optimus Prime forever

I think Starscream wouldn't be able to actually lead the troops, because he doesn't have any power to strike fear in their sparks, and that's how Decepticon leadership works. Megatron was strong, menacing, and a good strategist. On the other hand, Starscream has some power, but nothing spectacular, doesn't really inspire fear, and has bad plans since he never managed to actually take Megatron's place. So, as Megatron would say, "He can't ant-bots to a picnic, how can he lead the Decepticons?".