Do you think that sonic will ever have another good game?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by StefanXPrime, Jul 27, 2007.

1. StefanXPrime

StefanXPrime Hater of all things G1

Ok so my brother beat sonic and the secret rings like a day after he got it(yes he is a beast). I watched him play most of the game and it seems that sonic games just suck all the sudden. The first 3 for the sega where really good but when they tried to make the transtion to 3d the games just aren't as fun to me. Like a game that was released a while ago called Shadow the hedgehog. The game had you run around and shoot things with machine guns. Why would I want to do that in a sonic game? I want to run fast do the loops not shoot someone in the face. Do you think that sega can redeem the sonic franchise and not make crappy games?

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    There is a Sonic RPG coming out for the DS that could be promising. Its from Bioware.

I actually cringed when I saw that Mario and Sonic Olympics is being coded by Sega and not Nintendo. Sega has really dragged the franchise through the dirt. If you think Sonic and the Secret Rings is bad, you should check out "Sonic the Hedgehog" for the 360.

It is absolutely the worst piece of crap I have played in a long time.

3. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

Sonic needs to be taken away from Sonic Team. Seriously, let someone else take a crack at it.

4. StefanXPrime

yeah I saw the little trailer for the sonic olympics thats sounds so stupid because mario and sonic aren't on the physical level, lol. Yeah I played the newer "sonic the hedgehog" and yeah it blew so bad.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I love Sonic 3!! One of the best games I've ever played growing up. Though i haven't play a Sonic game since.

6. StefanXPrime

I don't really understand how mario can be taken from a 2d side scroller and changed into a 3d game and still be succesfull and all the sonic 3d games suck. I think the thing that makes the new sonic games suck is that fact that he's not running that fast(or it doesn't look like it). Sonic is about speed and the occasional enemie that you happen to hit when you jump around. The new games make the enemies the main goal in each level.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Sonic had that rolling aspect while Mario was just running. I think as a side scroller, Sonic did very well because you could see your environment pretty well at the speeds you were going, but translate that to 3D it just doesn't have the same effect. The only thing I did hate about Sonic 3 was trying to get the rings of power in those 3D ball sublevels.

8. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sonic Adventure, the first one, kicked all kinds of ass.

Especially the final battle.

Two wasn't so bad either.

9. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I think that Sega fell victim to the mentality of "you have to rotate the camera around the character" type of game development that happened post Tomb Raider.

The problem with the 3D Sonic games is that you have to rotate the camera around the character because you can not see where you are supposed to go.

Seriously, in the new Sonic the Hedgehog game for the 360 you don't see 90% of your enemies until you actually slam into them. You are made known of their pressence by gunfire or whatever, but you have to blindly "air dash" into them.
    In the fight with Silver if you ever actually see him -you're dead. You just gotta keep air dashing off screen.

I know that Devil May Cry is an entirely different type of game, but I think that Sonic should adopt that kind of level design; a huge environment with a fixed perspective, then Sonic can hit a loop or springboard and fly to a new section and the level can take on a different perspective.

Also, DMC is the only game that I know of where if you are going up but then the camera angle changes and now up is right -your continue to move to the correct direction , right, even though you are holding up on the controller.

It is not confusing at all and it beats this loop of walking into and away from where you intended to go that all 3D Sonic games have had since Sonic Adventure in 1999. Its been almost 10 years, Sega. Its time to address the issues. The name "Sonic" is not enough to power sales anymore.

10. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sonic adventure was ok, was it me though or was sonic never actually that fast? yes there were periods where you would spin for abit on the megadrive games and roll down a hill but apart from that he never seemed to move that fast, and when you jumped he used to kind of hang in the air, i think the problem with the 3d games is that they have tried to make him to fast and it doesn't work

11. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I loved those levels! Me and my friends would plug in Sonic 1 to Sonic & Knuckles to see who could beat the harder levels.

As for the question... Sonic is still a pretty huge name in video game characters and all he needs is a solid game to really come back around. They need to go back to the Sonic Adventure formula instead of trying to reinvent the gameplay with every single game... the reason Mario succeeds in 3D as much as 2D is because they didn't change the formula, they just added a dimension to it. And for Sonic Adventure it was the same way, if you wanted different gameplay you had it as an option, but playing as Sonic was still about speed.

Then Sonic Adventure 2... where you barely played as Sonic for the sake of forcing the other characters on you (Ugh, I hated those Tails stages, why is he even IN a mech now?). Got worse on Sonic Heroes. And now the new game for the next gen systems and it's all about hedgehogs, you can play as Sonic for a long time again, but for variety you have a black knockoff and a silver knockoff... some options.

Sonic Team has to be aware of the franchise failing now, Sonic Heroes may have been ignorable but the newest games are universally despised. I think this is the reason they're finally putting Mario and Sonic into the same game, fans have wanted something like this since the original 16 bit wars, and it keeps Sonic afloat while they figure out what will actually work.

My advice to Sega:
    1) Sonic Adventure formula. Sonic, Shadow, Knuckles, Tails, Rouge, Amy. All with their own interweaving stories and style of gameplay.

2) NOBODY NEW! You've got enough random critters running around, nobody cares about hedgehogs from the future or a group of jetboarding birds. Work with what you have, actually develop something. Needing a new character or villain every time is a show of how weak you've made the franchise.

3) Sonic = Speed. Not grinding rails with his shoes. Not going 90 mph for 3 seconds then spending 4 minutes jumping platforms.

12. StefanXPrime

I dont think he is fast enough in the new games in the old games he it looked like he ran fast now they try to make him fight to many people. If people still by a side scroller like paper mario why dont they go back to what they are good at a side scroller with baller ass graphics to make up for it not being in 3d.

13. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Options, yes. But the gameplay is broken. Running into a wall every two seconds. Getting caught on a glitch in the environment every four seconds.
    That one bridge in Soleana that you have to jump over because if you walk over it the camera will spin in nauseating circles.

You have good points, but the main point for Sega is: Quality Control.

14. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Honestly, I really enjoyed Sonic and the Secret Rings; more so for the boss fights than the levels though. Still, the 2D Sonics are certainly better. I thought Sonic Rush (DS) was really good, and there's going to be a sequel for it.

15. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I wish I could say yes, I really liked Sonic back in the day. I guess there is always hope, Tomb Raider was able to revamp it's franchise.

16. Soundatron

Soundatron A Blight Upon The Land

last sonic game I played was Sonic Adventure for DC. Wow what garbage. Havent played anything from him since. How is Sonic (06) does it look any good on the next-gen's ?

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I havent played a Sonic since Sonic Advance 1, 2 + 3 (GBA), and Sonic Heroes.

I take it Im not missing much.

(though I am looking into getting Adventure 1 + 2)

18. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I'm not a Sonic fanatic (I never had a Genesis to play 1-3 on, but I did play them at friends' houses), but I thought Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast was hella fun.

RIP Dreamcast. :( 

19. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I loved Sonic Adventure Uno and Dos. But since the Dreamcast died, Sega has lost any interest from me. They can't make a game worth a damn anymore, but they make kick-ass toys!

20. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

sonic only seemed to work as a sidescroller. sonic 2 ftw.