Do you think Starscream could be as good or even a better leader than Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Omega_Soundwave, Jul 11, 2009.

?

Could Starscream lead as well or better than Megatron?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I personally think Starscream could be just as good a leader as Megatron is, if not better. I was re-watching G1 and I noticed that quite a few times, Megatron's plans would fail because he didn't listen to Starscream. Starscream would be like "d00d Megs, this stuff is too unstable you can't use it" and Megatron would say "Cool story bro." and ignore him. Starscream has proven to be almost as strong as Optimus in a fight so he has the strength.

He has the strength, he has the intelligence, he has the speed...

Some people say Starscream is a coward, the ONLY time I remember Starscream acting like a coward is when Megatron beats him up.

Also, Megatron is incredibly stubborn, and sticks with his plans until his device is destroyed or whatever, while Starscream is smarter, so he would abandon as soon as he knew he couldn't win. Also notice Starscream's leadership skills. When Megatron is taken down and Starscream says "Decepticons! Follow me!" or something similar, the Decepticons follow Starscream with absolutely no hesitation.

So, that is why I think Starscream could be a better leader than Megatron.

2. RodimusPrimeYV0

RodimusPrimeYV0 I

I think he would be twice the leader megatron is all megs does is tell starscream to do stuff with the null ray lol

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Asking if G1 Starscream could be as good a leader as G1 Megatron is kind of like asking whether Huffer could be as good of a fighter as G1 Bumblebee.

4. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Well-Hated Member

News Credits:
    Of course! Starscream IS the new Leader!!

5. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan Well-Hated Member

News Credits:
    Is that true? Even when I was a kid watching G1, i used to think Starscream would have been crazy to try and topple megatron, becasue he wouldn`t have a chance at beating Optimus one on one.

6. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

well, we would know starscream would likely wear ornate materials as seen in the movie. he was a good leader in those five good wonderful minutes. until megatron, er galvatron came and blew a new breathing hole for him :) 

7. Omega_Soundwave

News Credits:
    Yeah, I can't remember what episode...I think it was Divide and Conquer, although Starscream had a bit of help in that case. There was another episode where Optimus won, but Starscream gave Optimus enough trouble that he had to let out a grunt and had to show some effort.

Also, Starscream isn't 2nd in command for nothing.

8. retro.obsessed

retro.obsessed Banned

I used to think so but not anymore. Starscream is cool but not a great leader. Cyclonus from G1 was the nearest thing that lead the decepticons and many decepticons would listen

9. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

LOL, when has Screamer ever proven to be as strong as Optimus?

Prime kicked Starscream's, Skywarp's and Thundercrackers asses at the same time. Hell, Starscream always got tossed around by Megatron, and Megs and Prime are virtual equals in strength.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nah, I don't see it. Starscream is egotistical and that would prove to be his downfall.

That and Prime would clothes line his ass.

11. Omega_Soundwave

News Credits:
    In one episode Prime took down the 3 at once, in another episode the 3 badly damaged him. It's inconsistent.

Starscream never really tried to fight back against Megatron, if they had a full on fight, who know who would have won.

12. DarkDranzer

DarkDranzer Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't think so, a forum I was apart of helped convince me with this thesis: Starscream (who I always viewed as a spoilt brat who could never take "no" for an answer) wanted to show others and rub it in their faces that he's the leader (hence the elaborate coronation ceremony in the movie) and although we never see Megatron's it can be assumed that it wasn't as extravagant than Starscream's, one mentioned that Megatron appeared to be quite aloof and nearly everything is either about his work as leader of the Decepticons or himself.

"Roll for It" shows Starscream's clear ineptitude as a leader, Megatron worked hard to earn the respect of his army and he's managed to accomplish a lot in his 9 million year career (although most of his plans were quite childish and easily foiled by the Autobots in the end, I think we can blame that one on the writers) in comparison to Starscream.

"Power flows through the one who knows how, desire alone is not enough" Megatron is quoted as saying, it applies directly to Starscream who has the desire to lead but lacks in the other areas and also his lack of insight into his own faults as Megatron pointed out in "Starscream's Brigade" (which I admit he was better at it but he still flunked terribly when the Combaticons turned against him).

This was proven quite a few times that Starscream is not Decepticon leader material in the G1 animated series.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    No, Starscream couldn't lead ant-droids to a picnic.

As a warrior he's certainly a foe to be considered and seemingly top rate scientist, but that's not enough. He has absolutely no leadership skills at all, he even has to force death as an alternative to get the Combaticons to work for him. The Stunticons don't like him, the Constructicons don't like him, Shockwave loathes him, and even the other seekers seem to only tolerate him because of his skill and rank. He garners no respect and demands absolute obedience like a petulant child, to which he only ends up losing resources (troops and whatnot), not gathering them.

In war, failure to have any resources yields only one result, death. Starscream leading the Decepticons is the most surefire way for them to be destroyed.

14. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    It's terribly hard to argue anything within G1 continuity because G1 has the consistency of pizza grease water.

15. BradTheMad

BradTheMad Well-Known Member

Starscream had his moments of sheer genius and utter failure but if I remember correctly the failure stood out more. It was only in the beginning of the series that he had some better ideas but later on he mostly botched up.
    I remember him whining to Megatron that a leader shouldn't be afraid to take risks...seconds later something almost blew up because of his impatience. He's too immature to properly lead.
    Also, none of the Decepticons really respect him and it wouldn't take long for the others to try and take him down.

16. retro.obsessed

retro.obsessed Banned

Starscream from the Movies is pretty good and pretty tough character. Even in 1986 he was extremely good, him and Megatron pretty much wiped out all the original Autobots. In the later movies, Transformers 2007 Movies, he was pretty unstoppable and looked pretty good as the leader. I remember When Frenzy found the All spark, the first person he contact was Starscream and then Starscream notified all the decepticons to go into battle. 2009 Starscream was pretty good.

But However as Megatron says something like this "Even in death, there is no leader but me". This is after Megatron is awaken again.

A better option would be Cyclonus from G1. A lots of people are in agreement that Cyclonus from G1 was the total and whole package and would have been a great leader. Cyclonus from G1 and three season was so good, that it seemed at times he was leading the decepticons

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think he has the potential. He's the Air Commander, so he clearly has some leadership ability and he was able to see the flaws in a number of Megatron's plans in the cartoon. He also did a fairly good job leading a small team in the DW comics, before Megatron showed up again.

18. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with the inconsistency part. In one episode, Lazerbeak even manages to take out Prime (the episode when Megs built a clone of Optimus), while in the another episode, a shot from Bluestreak brings him down (Fire on the mountain?).

My take on Starscream - no. In the long term, SS's ego would sabotage his leadership or something to that extent.

19. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Well-Known Member

Are we talking about G1 Starscream, or does this apply to all Starscreams?

20. Omega_Soundwave

News Credits:
    We're talking about G1.

Although if you want to go into other series, then Animated Starscream wouldn't be a better leader than Megatron...though he would still be a good leader. He was intelligent enough to have killed Megatron a couple of times if he didn't...talk so much.

In A Bridge Too Close he was fighting toe-to-toe with Megatron too, and took on 5 Autobots at once.

But mainly the poll is about G1. But feel free to discuss other series.