Do you think Sam should die in TF3?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Red Frenzy, May 14, 2010.

1. Red Frenzy

Red Frenzy Its madness He's 100% RED

With the news that broke from this thread: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/304388-shia-labeouf-says-transformers-3-will-better.html about LaBeef's input on TF3. It got me questioning the integrity or maybe necessity even of his character. The Beef mention that there will be lots of "human deaths" coming in TF3, so I propose the question: How would you feel if one of the human deaths turned out to be Sam himself? Would it matter? Do you think the series could continue with out him?

So for discussions sake I present my own opinion on Sam's character and his relevance to the series. And why I'd be okay with the idea of them killing him off.

First things first, humans are integral to the TF universe, movie-verse or otherwise. There's no denying that. But here's why Sam is a horrible character to focus humanities best qualities on. In my opinion he does not represent any kind of likability, leadership or heroism in the films. Sam wont become the John Conner of the TF films, he is no solider, yet they continually put him in situations to try and make him into one, even though it's just not in his character. So why is he necessary? He's a suburban middle class kid with no real drive to be anything more than what he already is. He just wants to be the personification of "normal", not a hero.

Lets examine Sam's character from ROTF. The entirety of Sam's involvement in the plot of the movie is logically confusing, border line psychotic and not at all heroic. Not only does he complain about almost everything form every second he is on screen (car wont listen, no girlfriend at college, giant aliens trying to kill him, no peace of mind), but he desperately tries to hide and suppress the fact that he is a envoy to a intergalactic species. He wants a normal life, but when he has the opportunity to be something special and do something more important in the world he denies it. But despite his lack of heroism, he gets swept up in adventure anyways, out of necessity and bad luck, not choice. In order to get the images out of his head he goes to extreme lengths to accomplish his goal including: getting Prime killed, getting Jetfire killed, and almost destroying the planet. He did bring Prime back, but if he hadn't been so selfish about his personal life in the first place he might have avoided that problem all together. Sam's actions are a never ending domino effect of bad choices that lead to either putting himself or others in danger.

I'm sorry, but that is just a small taste of a long list of horrible character defects for someone who's essence should represent the heroic "everyman" of the movie. G1 Spike had more balls than Sam.

I made a post in a previous thread about how the human story in the TF films sucked, but I realized I may have jumped to conclusions, so I'll correct myself. The human stories in a TF movie do not entirely suck, just Sam's story. Instead of a heroically competent kid who can hold his own with the Autobots in a looming war for the planet we get Sam, a bumbling, selfish, coward who no one can relate to because he is just too weird and messed up. Honestly, can anyone relate to his character? Other than the stereotypical archetype for a young guy like, first car, first girlfriend, embarrassing parents, exc. If you strip away all that carbon copy character detailing, is he still relatable, much less likable?

So having said that, why shouldn't he be killed off? Especially since LaBeef seems to dislike the franchise at the moment anyways, it could be a easy out for him. Personally if they did kill him off I think Lennox and maybe Epps could carry this franchise without Sam. We know Epps' wife has been confirmed in the cast, so maybe she will show up this time and add some more character moments for the two. What do you guys think? I expect criticism, so bring it.

2. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    No way, he is the character that keeps the audience connected, in the firts film he did a greta job playing a regular boy getting in the middle of an extraordinary situation, in ROTF they didn't use the character properly, but he is the center at which the movies revolve.

3. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    kill the little cocky bastard off!

4. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would'nt matter to me if he dies or not.

5. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    what? no, that wouldn't make any sense. IF he dies than BB dies with him, as well as Hasbros earning$.

6. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    He already died, remember, he went to Autobot heaven and they sent him back.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If he died without any tricks to bring him back it could be huge. Sam has been the link between the humans and Autobots because he's the character that people can relate to the easiest. He's been such a central part of the movies no one be expecting his character to actually get killed. It would be one of those moments people would talk about for a long time about how they can't believe they actually killed Sam.

Of course if they do kill him that means the end of the live action franchise in it's current form and any new movies would have to be some sort of reboot because you pretty much can't have the current movies without Sam.

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Again?!?

9. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

Starscream or megatron squashing him...and saying "game over" , you lose prime....would be fucking epic!

but it will never happen....

10. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Bumblebee would go Rambo on Decepticon ass if Sam died, so maybe.

11. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    No. It already happened in ROTF.

If anything, I'd like to see Prime tell Sam that "This is no longer your battle", being more concerned about Human's safety since some will die in Transformers 3.

I think it would be better to see Optimus take greater responsibility for the war and just leave the humans out of harm's way, going out on his own or with his fellow Autobots, hunting Decepticons and finishing the Transformers war once and for all so that a foreign world, where the Autobots are guests on, will not suffer the same fate and destruction that Prime's home planet did.

The last thing the Autobots want is for Earth to become another war-torn Cybertron, but the Decepticons couldn't care less.

12. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Ouch! The truth hurts....alot! :D  ;)  :p 

13. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I don't think so, he already died in ROTF, and if he dies permanently in TF3, a lot of fans would be disappointed if not enraged.

14. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Hmmmmm enraged? I would kind of doubt it. Even the movie supporters wouldn't be too pissed if Sam died. I mean, they screwed up the characters so much already and a sizeable percentage is still willing to shell out money.

15. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Sam+ murder arm+ megs= win

16. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    Shia currently has a contract for FIVE TF films.

17. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    He could come back in those as a shimmery blue ghost.

"Use the Matrix, Optimus..."

18. Mykamusprime

Mykamusprime Well-Known Member

I think they'll be enraged and still shell out the money exactly how we do with the "screwed up characters"

19. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

Why? It's a buzzkill. It's needlessly sad. That is, for regular people that don't hate Shia just because he's a human character in the films. No, he shouldn't die. It would accomplish nothing, and leave normal audiences on a downer note.

20. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    He already died in rotf but he returned to life later in rotf