Do you think Optimus would have killed Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Seth Sunthay, Sep 1, 2017.

?

He would have pulled the trigger?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2017.
  1. Yes

82.2%
  2. No

17.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TFFan01

TFFan01 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TBH, what could Optimus do? He was basically paralysed, someone had to help him. Can you imagine Optimus shouting Bumblebee not to do it since it would be honorless?

Or did you mean that Optimus specifically planned on getting paralysed by Quintessa as a distraction for Bumblebee to finish her off?

• Like Like x 1
  2. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Dude you need to try harder :lol 

No I obviously didnt mean that, even a 5 year old can understand that.

He knew Quintessa was more powerfull than him, so he had Bumblebee be in place to kill her from behind. He attacked her in order to distract her. The paralysis has nothing to do with it. Which is a completely immoral thing to do, if you are supposed to play the part of the knight in shinning armor.

3. MattHogan

MattHogan Mobile App Development Company

Yes.. He has a shot towards him.

4. TFFan01

News Credits:
    That's what I meant :rolleyes: , he was distracting her. She had to stand still and attract her entire attention to Optimus while using the paralysis attack, Optimus getting paralysed was what held Quintessa in place for Bumblebee to finish her off.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Megatron's wounds were already fatal or near-fatal as things played out in the movie. For all intents and purposes, Optimus Prime did kill Megatron. Had Hot Rod not interfered, Optimus would have hesitated (he was already hesitating) but as soon as he saw the gun, he would've had no choice but to pull the trigger. I'd give it 50/50 odds as to whether Megatron got a fatal shot in before being killed himself. Hot Rod merely changed the odds from 50% to 100%.

6. pilot00

Excactly what a noble knight with honourable ideals would do......:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol 

7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For not making an exact word-for-word quote, you certainly emphasized specific wording as though you had caught me in a snare.
    So I'm sorry if you didn't like my answer, but there it is.

A problem I've noticed in discussions like this over the years, is that too often people don't read with the intent of considering new viewpoints or with an open mind that would allow the possibility of changing their own view. Too many people read with crossed-arms & an iron grip on their own position with the intent to never change that regardless of what new info or views they're exposed to. They're reading only with the intent to reply & constantly picking out little foibles in someone's argument that they can latch onto & exploit.

For example, I always thought the scene where Optimus plows through a bunch of cons in TFTM was awesome & heroic (and it is). But another fan pointed out that he arrived on the scene fully charged & mowed through cons that had been fighting all day, all night & all the next day & were certainly low on energon. Makes it a little less epic. A little less cool.

There were two ways I could've taken that info: 1.) I could've adjusted my own view of the scene & accepted the fact that he mowed down a bunch of weary cons.

2.) I could've railed against the idea & been like, "NOOO!!! Optimus is the best!! He blasted all those dudes to pieces & no one softened them up for him at all the previous 2 days!!!"

I picked option 1, because even though it changed how I viewed that scene, it didn't matter in the big picture. In war, you fight to win, and you don't always have the luxury of fighting fair. So Optimus mowed down a ton of weary cons, but it is still awesome & still heroic, because they had been killing Autobots for 2 days & needed to be stopped.

Oh, but it goes a little further doesn't it? Now, instead of being killed by his rival on fair footing, Optimus was killed by a Megatron that wasn't fully charged, that wasn't at his best. It's just so humiliating now, right? Except no. It further illustrates how lethal the Decepticons are, that even when low on energon, they're still a lethal threat. Which in turn, colors how I see the part where he mows through all those cons upon arriving on Earth.

Yeah- they were likely low on energon & weary from fighting non-stop for 2 full days. But judging by how Megatron fought, each one of those Decepticons is still a valid, serious threat. And therefore, Optimus plowing through them is still awesome & heroic regardless of their power levels. :D 

In conclusion, to have a debate, you have to at least be open to new ideas & new viewpoints. You have to allow for the possibility that your own view can change. Otherwise it's not really a debate. It's just an argument & everyone talks past each other.

• Like Like x 2
  8. pilot00

Welcome to every forum ever!

9. TFFan01

News Credits:
    I'm just explaining what I meant with the 'paralysis' thing with that post.

Also, yeah, you could say that it's not really noble but personally I don't have a problem with that particular scene. I get why you're angry with it though.

10. pilot00

Where did you get the angry part?

11. TFFan01

News Credits:
    You know what I mean.

12. pilot00

I know what you mean, I dont know what made you believe that I got angry.

13. TFFan01

News Credits:
    I just mis-used the word bro, simple as that, I don't know why you're lengthening the discussion.

14. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pretty much.

15. pilot00

Hold on there Mr. You said I was angry and I am trying to find out why you believe that. One can think that you did that on purpose. You didnt fine? But you posted it.

16. TFFan01

News Credits:
    Instead of saying "you didn't like it", I said "you hate it", I just mis-used the word, that's it, I'm not implying anything.

17. pilot00

Heres, your quote word for word. Anyway I can understand when hands slip sometimes. No harm done, we are cool. Carry on.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

no need to apologize it was a simple misunderstanding

not sure why you felt that way .... in the end I'm fully aware of how fans are felt about Hot Rod over the years yes even call me for his death, money issue was that the post I replied to seem to be stating that the people here on the topic we're making similar claims

Anyway no big deal

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  19. Maroyasha

Maroyasha IOU A Title

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Optimus Prime would've shot Megatron dead there for sure. We've seen examples of him showing violence towards the Cons to the extent of killing, having the intent to kill or being fine with their deaths. The first example is literally MTMTE! He's willing to plant a bomb to hopefully crush them all to death. He's completely fine with them all supposedly plummeting to their deaths. In the season finale of season 1 he is content with them being pushed into a pit of magma, another situation where he thinks they're defeated for good basically. Optimus may be a noble guy, but the man in season 1 alone has a few examples of being fine with having a hand in or allowing their deaths. War Dawn he mows down Cons. He legit kills people on screen. And going back to MTMTE, he legit threatens to KILL Megatron during the dam fight! He says "I'm gonna end your hunger once and for all!" after Megatron destroys everything due to his 'hunger for power.' First 3 episodes of the show he shows sign of being willing to kill and/or allow the death of the Cons. Him going all Rambo on them in the movie isn't a single instance. It's just an extreme one. So in conclusion, I'll say it again, Megatron would've left that fight dead.

• Like Like x 3
  20. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

Yes and no.

Yeah, Prime says, "You who are without mercy now beg for it? I thought you were made of sterner stuff." But the thing is . . . why is Optimus still talking at that point? Why hasn't he shot Megatron yet? It's because it's not a fight between warriors in the heat of battle. Optimus can kill, but not in cold-blood. His enemy is on his knees, helpless, unarmed (as far as Optimus knows) and Optimus just can't bring himself to shoot him under those circumstances. His moral code won't allow it.

Now after Megatron dives for the gun and tries to shoot Prime (or would have tried, if Hot Rod hadn't interfered), at that point Optimus would have shot him. That made it self-defense.

Really, Megatron's big mistake was going for the gun.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.