Do you think Optimus would have killed Megatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Seth Sunthay, Sep 1, 2017.

?

He would have pulled the trigger?

This poll will close on Dec 1, 2017 at 7:42 PM.
  1. Yes

84.5%
  2. No

15.5%
  1. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I want to discuss this situation.

Most of the people here remembers this iconic scene.
    The personality and actions from Prime in the original series is still debatable, he made some questionable shit sometimes in his favour, but others times, he seem like a sympathetic guy.
    But here the thread is to discuss this thing that came out of my head the last time i saw the movie.

Do you think optimus would have pulled the trigger to kill megatron? original.jpg
    Or he would let him being alive?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Macross79

Macross79 Well-Known Member

I think he would have killed Megatron, at least that's what he intended to do from the get go. He told the Dinobots to stop Devastator, that way they bought Optimus enough time to drive half way Autobot City and confront Megatron. His whole Megatron-must-be-stopped-no-matter-the-cost speech, pretty much says it all. He wasn't gonna let Ironhide, Prowl, Brawn, Ratchet, Wheeljack, Windcharger and the rest of the off screen Autobots die in vain.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 10
  3. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Let's think about this. Had Hod Rod not gotten in the way, once Prime realized that Megatron had a gun in his hand. Would he have:

• Stood there and let Megatron fire away at him
    or
    • Fired back and defended himself

Is there anyone here who really thinks that Prime would've just stood there and NOT fired back?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Macross79

There's a comic book that was made for that purpose where Optimus actually kills Megatron right after he hits Optimus in the side of his head with the same blue gun.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, and in that, Starscream turns into a giant combiner comprising of Astrotrain, Blitzwing, and some others, which is a nice option BTW.
    I kinda liked the "One-Shot" Story (Or was it Deviations?) seeing as it shows how the movie could've played out if Hot Rod hadn't been a stupid arrogant prick.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Macross79

Well the movie could have played out in many ways. Unicron would still be present, where both the Autobots and Decepticons totally unaware of Unicron's presence and not knowing who he is, it would have forced both factions to coexist and be united as one (Cybertronians) against a common threat, where they would have to fight for their lives and for all of Cybertron.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

Dude he didn't know any of those guys were dead

• Like Like x 3
  8. Altered Prime

As I pointed out before hot rod didn't interfere in the Marvel comics adaptation and yet Optimus still did not kill Megatron

• Like Like x 1
  9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, and the Marvel comics adaptation is not the movie. It's also a mess.

It's pretty clear from the slow, deliberate way Optimus went back and picked up the rifle that this was the end. There's no question in my mind from the way that bit is animated that it was Optimus' intention to end the war right then and there. If he was just going to slap cuffs on him or something, he wouldn't have been given that kind of body language by the animators. But there will always be people in denial about this, and that's cool. It didn't end up happening, so it can be whatever you want it to be.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah. I think he was set on killing Megatron. The body language, like Southtown said, really expresses his intent a lot.

Also, everyone took the kid gloves off for the movie. If the events played out without Hot Rod's interference, I think Megatron would've pulled the gun, and if he didn't immediately get shot by Prime, he maybe would've gotten 1 or 2 lucky hits in before Prime finished him off.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Instead it showed how the movie would have turned out if the writer of that comic was one :lol 

• Like Like x 5
  12. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I think he would have killed him. He said to him "one shall stand, one shall fall" (in the italian dub "Uno di noi vincerĂ , e uno di noi morirĂ ") so it's pretty clear he was prepared to kill him if necessary. He also seemingly killed other decepticons.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Yes, he would have Megatron killed.

14. Altered Prime

while this is true.....
    ...... even these events played out in that adaptation and yet still no kill

15. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

Optimus Prime is the commander in an army fighting in a war, facing off against the unrepentant commander of the opposing army, who had killed several of his soldiers, including some of his best friends. He wouldn't have enjoyed it, he's still a generally nice guy who wants all sentient beings to be happy, but he would have absolutely ended Megatron then and there, and the only regret he'd feel would be that it took so long and so many deaths to finally put old buckethead down.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Galvatross

Galvatross Make it Mac Tonight! Veteran

Yes, almost certainly based on dialogue in the scenes leading up to it and body language. When Prime arrives on his shuttle, he sees the devastation, and says, "Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost."

When Megatron says, "Why throw your life away so recklessly?" Prime's response is, "That's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron."

"You who are without mercy now plead for it? I thought you were made of sterner stuff," said while Prime points his gun toward Megatron. The only reason he doesn't shoot is because of Hot Rod's interference. He wouldn't tell Hot Rod to get out of the way if he had no plans on shooting Megatron.

• Like Like x 4
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Because the story was being told by people with zero involvement with the movie, and with no idea of what was in the minds of the people who made the movie. Which is what we're talking about. The movie.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    From a pragmatic perspective, yes, yes he would have. He had Megatron dead to rights, the start of their fight had all the gravitas of a fight to the death, in a battle where we are shown killing is on the table. Prime would have known that killing Megatron would destabilize the Decepticon forces ("turn the tide") and probably sow chaos in their ranks, at the very least buying the Autobot army a chance to regroup (possibly on the cybertron moonbases, as Autobot city was, well, wrecked), and at best to take advantage of the highly uncruzimatic infighting that would follow Megatron's death to counterattack, take back their planet, and end the Decepticon threat forever. Megatron is, at that point, someone responsible for starting the greatest war in cybertronian history (that we're aware of, I guess), someone who has personally killed some of Optimus' closest friends, most trusted comrades, and most valuable allies that very day. Optimus just spent a few minutes gunning down, running over, or otherwise assaulting what must of been a significant part of the Decepticon forces at Autobot city without hesitation ('no matter the cost'). Prime's dialogue towards Megatron is steeped in contempt, not mercy, and does not imply there is any possibility of Optimus standing down, and they'd just had a fight where both combatants pulled out all the stops and gave everything they had. Basically any audience seeing the film up to that point could make a reasonable assumption that Optimus would have pulled the trigger and shot Megatron.

From a narrative and a character perspective though, I don't think Optimus would have killed Megatron. From everything we've seen of Optimus up until then (and even after that fight), shooting an opponent on his knees and begging for mercy (even one as odious as Megatron) is just... not in him. Even if his dialogue isn't written that way in that moment, what we've seen of Optimus in basically every other instance I can think of is a character with patience and compassion (he doesn't try to take the shot through Hot Rod afterwards, after all, and we've seen that Optimus is a highly competent marksman, hell, even when his arm isn't attached to his body). Once Megatron brought out the gun (which I suspect Optimus was aware of, but wanted to give Megatron one more chance to surrender, he'd shown an ability to outthink Megatron on multiple occassions in the past, and at the same time an unwillingness to compromise his own ethics to counter Megatron's subterfuge through dubious means), I think he would have shot Megatron in self defense, but maybe not a fatal shot if it could be avoided. I can't help but feel like Optimus would have found another option that didn't involve ending Megatron's life forever. Here's the thing, and this may just be me misremembering things, but let's think about this for a second:

Optimus doesn't kill. None of the Autobots kill.

Obviously, in the G1 series up to that point, the good guys weren't going to spend two seasons butchering their opponents. We wouldn't see heroic characters putting villains into a more-or-less permanent state of death onscreen until years later, when Beast Wars was at its darkest (and this isn't a slight against Beast Wars, whose tone was simply different and whose characters and storytelling remain some of the finest and most endearing in the franchise's history). In the comics, yes, it happened on occasion, especially some of the grittier characters, but even then comic rules were in effect, and most of the time, villainous deaths were by their own hand or through some other twist of fate. We do see in the pre-movie G1 episodes that the Autobots have ways of incapacitating or otherwise making enemies even as dangerous as the Combaticons no longer a threat, but we don't see executions or even hear much about Decepticon deaths even in a millions of years long war (if anything, most of the combatants on cybertron that were left when Optimus and Megatron departed seem to be still there and still fighting). The real focus in what I'm talking about, though, is that in the 1986 movie, I can't think of an instance where an Autobot inflicts fatal damage on a Decepticon. The Junkions, naturally, get up when knocked down and seem to all be present and accounted for during the dance number (though that one Daniel girdered to the back of the head probably wasn't feeling great), but more importantly, none of the Decepticons from the Autobot City fight are shown dead like the Autobots are, and most seem to show up later. The Insecticons, even with Kickback's crushed head, are on the shuttle with the rest (Thrust seems fine after being hit by a semi and Dirge is in pretty good shape after being shot, though Shrapnel had a bad day). The seekers all seemingly are healthy enough to fight, and get eaten by, Unicron later. Devastator has no problems vying for command even after shrugging off a Dinobot attack and a few artillery shells. So on and so forth. Unicron may be the sole exception, and even he could be argued to have been destroyed by the Matrix, not by Rodimus (and besdies, we know he's not completely dead).

• Like Like x 4
  19. RADimus prime

RADimus prime not so well known member just known

I say he would have. "The Touch" was playing in the back ground, that song makes ya do some crazy ass shit. He then would take a shot of energon and smack Arcee on the ass. But instead he just died...

20. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

Megatron goes for the gun. Prime takes him out.