Do you think OP/KO or BD/KO has more merit?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by humblebot, Dec 31, 2011.

1. humblebot

humblebot Well-Known Member

Canon material has presented multiple events that legitimize the possibility of either. Optimus Prime has been the target of Knock Out's attention on more than a few occasions, though OP's impression of him is left out of the equation, as in each case he has maintained a cold external countenance. Though currently we are presented with the unique situation in which KO is shown working on him, with OP lacking all previous memories of their interactions. Possibly an opportunity to create a new impression?

Breakdown, on the other hand, has long had an amicable relationship with his partner, unusual for the Decepticon faction. Even following his humiliation in being captured by humans, KO has never insulted or made fun of his subsequent handicap, in stark contrast to other characters such as Megatron and Airachnid. They seem completely comfortable around each other, which some may interpret as a strong basis for relationships of another sort.

Thoughts?

2. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why?

3. hush

hush [REDACTED]

Part of Knock Out's initial interest in Optimus may have been rooted in the fact that Optimus was the enemy leader and thus an unattainable target who would never respond well, if at all, to whatever gestures Knock Out threw his way. Knock Out seems to enjoy treading places where he does not belong and testing the limits of others' patience (as long as their name isn't Megatron.) If that was the breadth of his interest, then it is unlikely that he would feel as compelled to tease the likes of Orion Pax, who is more approachable and lacks the same intrigue.

Of course, if Knock Out's less sadistic interest in others was limited to teasing, then one wonders why he gets along so well with Breakdown, and with none of the maliciousness that usually accompanies his special brand of humor.

4. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think your reading too much into it but anything is possible in Prime

On the flip side, KO can make a new impression on Prime since Prime is "lacking all previous memories."

That's why I like KO, he hasn't put down anyone or insult them.

BD and KO do make a good team.

5. humblebot

Yes, there almost seems to be a special case between the two characters. Breakdown has shown camaraderie with others (notably, one of the Eradicons), but with Knock Out, he will outright follow orders from him, despite no direct indication that there is a hierarchy between them outside Knock Out having more advanced medical expertise. Breakdown's greater fighting prowess speaks of them having a more egalitarian partnership, if anything, yet there are several cases of Breakdown voluntarily deferring to KO, without expecting anything in return. KO, on the other hand, is shown to have friendly relationships exclusively with Breakdown, whilst all others are borne out of mutual benefit or the chance at greater power.

6. Hellbat

Hellbat ヘルバット

Optimus/Knock Out
    that's very unlikely; besides Optimus is now occupied with Megatron and reliving their past friendship.

Examining Knock outs reaction to Optimus closely it's probably only a superficial attraction and Knock out doesn't really care about Optimus' personality.

Breakdown and Knock Out on the other hand seem to be very good at working together and have probably grown together over time.
    Breakdown/Knock Out has more merit

7. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Humblebot:

SS summoned them to fix or repair Megatron. The question remains from where SS summoned them and were they already working together as a team.

8. Draqua

Draqua Well-Known Member

Hmmm... A difficult question indeed... On the one hand, I feel that Knockout's personality lends itself to being open socially. As such, while he can amicably get along with just about everyone (even Airachnid, by jove!), that doesn't mean a romantic relationship is the logical outcome.

Breakdown and Knockout have known each other and been working closely together for an extended period of time... As such, I can't help but feel that makes their relationship more stable.

9. humblebot

That's a good question. What were they doing on Earth? If you want to take subtext into account...well...two partners alone together for an extended period of time.

10. Hellbat

Hellbat ヘルバット

I thought it was a given with Breakdown being introduced as Knock Outs assistant that they have been working together for some time.

11. Zeep

Zeep Lalala

I think Hush brought up an interesting point. I haven't considered that Knock Out could be drawn to Optimus Prime because he was such an unattainable target. I always thought of it as a purely physical attraction. If he really was interested in something more than just Optimus's handsome frame, then Orion Pax may no longer be an object of desire to him. Seducing a serious war-hardened soldier like Optimus would be something Knock Out could brag about. Seducing an innocent and confused Orion Pax? That's not a challenge at all. Then again, it also seems like corrupting an innocent mind would be right up Knock Out's alley as well.

As for Knock Out's interactions with Breakdown, they are pretty interesting too. It's rare to see two Decepticons being on such friendly terms with each other.

12. Zeep

Zeep Lalala

Were they already on Earth when Starscream summoned them? I thought they flew over from somewhere else. Maybe they were on vacation....

Yeah, it seemed like Starscream just summoned Knock Out over and Knock Out brought Breakdown with him because they just go everywhere together. Since Knock Out had to introduce Breakdown, it implies that Starscream didn't summon them both.

13. humblebot

Well Zeep, we already know he does care a great deal about looks. That might be enough for him. And yeah, corruption of the innocent seems perfectly in line with the sort of thing he enjoys. He does enjoy "breaking" things, after all.

14. Zeep

Zeep Lalala

Yeah, I don't think Knock Out would mind the memory loss....

But how likely is Orion to be wooed by his devilish charm? And if it does work out that way, what state would his feelings be in if and when he regains his memory?

15. humblebot

If KO acts nice enough, Orion might be wooed simply because he's made a friend. However, KO might be facing competition from Megatron. He did, after all, decide to bring him back for his own rather than kill him. How far that ownership extends is a matter of contention.

16. Spunky

Spunky Well-Known Member

It's just an innocent thread. Knockout surely seemed like he expressed interest in Optimus though I think it's nothing more than superficial attraction at the most. I can't see Knockout loving anyone more than himself. If he's attracted to males, it's for his pleasure and gain. Not anyone else's.

17. humblebot

Why would you say that? He treats Breakdown nicely enough, when really he doesn't need to. If BD's role is one of simple assistance, he is easily replaceable. Their partnership does not appear to be one of obligate mutual reliance, but genuine reciprocal enjoyment of each other's personalities.

18. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    I think people should probably keep the shipping discussions to tumblr and fanfiction.net. Not that I mind them, I don't ship anything particularly, but I've noticed tfw2005 isn't quite friendly to shipping discussions of the more serious kind.

also ko/bd needs to be canonized

19. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Knock Down for life.

20. Zeep

Zeep Lalala

Yeah, they seem to have a lot of fun together.

Did it say if Knock Out knew that Breakdown was captured by MECH, though? I forgot. Because if he knew and showed no concern for Breakdown's safety, that makes them seem more like the typical Decepticons who just use each other when its immediately enjoyable but go no deeper than that.

Anyway, they also seem like the kind of guys who would have an open relationship. Now, if we were going by human standards, I think Optimus/Orion would be kind of uncomfortable with that and wouldn't be as likely to respond to Knock Out's advances. But since they're aliens who live for millions of years, I think that having multiple partners is probably a pretty normal thing for them, so...