Do You Think It's Possible To Be Addicted To TF Collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Aug 25, 2008.

1. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

Oh, hell yes! Isn't everyone here addicted?

2. Genomus Prime

Genomus Prime Member

I believe that it could be an addiction, while it could not be. For example: a person could smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, and that is classified as an addiction, while a diifferent person will only smoke cigarettes while in certain company, but that is not classified as an addiction. In so, you could say that completists are addicted to collecting, and casual collectors are not. This may be true, or my logic just might be flawed, I have no idea.

3. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    it's possible to become addicted to anything.

As far as TF hunting / collecting goes, you bet. The little rush you get when you find something new on the shelf can be addicting. You'll find yourself searching all over your local county for stuff.

4. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    thats wat i always tell my mom when she complains on how much i spend on these :D 
    EDIT: and oh yeah...i think we're all kinda addicted..i am.. its probably not good thing, as addiction to pretty much anything is bad...
    but its one of the better, less self-destroying addictions :D  i hope to keep it under control though

5. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    addiction varies by person, i do have an addiction to toys although its very much under control. ive been rebuying for about 10 years now and i still have only about 220 toys (almost all takara toys, not just TF) although thats still on average 22 acquired per year or amost 1 every 2 weeks. Its actually more than that as i often sell a figure to buy a figure but that doesnt always work out, i probably get 3 figs in fro each one i actually sell!

anyway evem though I buy only what i like I do get purchase pangs, theres always something else i want, that never quite satisfied feeling, thats is an addiction as far as i can tell, I dont even go for the chase (i did a bit on ebay 3-5 years ago) but now its more reissues and current line purchases. either way i get that high from a purchase then a few days later the new toy in on the shelf with the others and im ready for my next one, usually bought within a month. I also get that weird 'shifting targets' thing where one minute you never even bothered looking at 'headmasters' then the next you are researching them and wanting to buy 'how come i never got those before?' I will ask myself.

at the end of the day its the novelty of the new item thats the high, thats why internet surfing (for eg)is so addictive with updates every few seconds, thats a very strong novelty source and probably far moreaddictive than many realise,and it makes us very impatient too!

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    TF Plastic Crack FTW! :D 

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  7. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    I'd say for me it is definately an addiction. I realized when I started buying recolors of mold I really didn't like the first time out that there was a problem...I confirmed that problem when I bought yet another color of that same mold :p 

8. JCMGTX

JCMGTX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Addicted ....umm let me think.......OH YEAH !!!! It's one of my two major hobbies and addiction. And my other hobby being my cars is not any cheaper. HP and speed is my other. Why else would I have a 650 plus HP Twin Turbo 04 GTO, and a second 04 GTO still stock. One opened to play with and one MISB :)  Just like my TF collection :) 

9. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Y'all may be addicted. I can quit whenever I want.

:redface2: 

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    did you not notice this website? lol, of course!!!

11. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

It's possible but I'm not. I have the resources for most anything I want and still shop around for deals. I hate paying $100 for a figure I can have for $10 in a few months and love getting good deals on G1 boxed stuff. I just have patience I guess.

It's good to "time" your buys. For instance July and August were great times to buy G1 boxed stuff for the most part because everyone was going crazy for TFA and new Universe stuff. I got some hella good deals :) 

12. jqciaomama

jqciaomama LD Master

Ebay:
    Well, lets see... I've spent thousands of $$$ on Tfs over the years. Hell, I even payed over 3Gs for one.

Does this make me addicted? :crazy: 

13. justinRODimus

justinRODimus Well-Known Member

you paid 3gs? which one? im guessing it was a lucky draw.

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hasbro has me by the balls. TFs, GI Joe, Marvel, Mighty Muggs, Indiana Jones, the occasional Star Wars toy, blah blah. It's really quite insane.

15. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My name is Anthony..and Im a toy-a-holic.

Def an impluse type of guy and when I want somehting...I go nuts to get it.

So I guess its better to chase after toys instead of other things..at least thats what I tell my wfie.

16. jqciaomama

jqciaomama LD Master

Ebay:
    Yes, A Lucky Draw indeed...

D-1 Gold Megatron
    [​IMG]

17. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's possible to get psychologically addicted to damn near anything, the groundwork just needs to be in place.

Some people medicate themselves with toy collecting the same way others medicate themselves with food or other material things (shoes for women). You have a shitty day at school/work, you go buy a toy, you're happy for a short time, then you come back down. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

and while we're here. Why is it always people say "Well I could be wasting my money on booze, cigarettes, and drugs." like toy collecting and those things are mutually exclusive? Why can't I waste my money on them all?

It's not like I can't go get a six pack of beer while I'm on a toy run and then stop at the house of a friend with a questionable business enterprise and spend some more of my hard earned money there too.

18. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pick your posion and stick to it..Thats what I do!

19. a person

a person Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't find it addictive at all. I've stopped collecting almost everything but the movie toys.

20. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Not really. I only collect G1, Classics, Classics 2.0, and Alternators.