Do You Think It's Possible To Be Addicted To TF Collecting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Aug 25, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I was just reading the "Did you ever feel embarrassed about buying transformers" thread and something occurred to me.

i know most of us joke about our hobby in alot of ways and talk about our "plastic crack" and the thrill of the hunt. But, do you think it's possible for someone to become addicted to collecting something? (like Transformers)

You all know what I'm talking about.......the thrill you get from the hunt.....or the excitement you feel after buying some new TFs or knowing you have one coming in the mail. Those signs could point to that.

I definitely do think it's possible. I think it's very similar to a shop-a-holic who gets a thrill out of hunting things down and excitment from buying something new.

I am in no way trying to demean the hobby or anyone on this website who collects because I love collecting too.

But, what do you think about this subject? Have you experienced this yourself? Or do you know someone who may have been addicted and was going way overboard? (I.E. Buying TFs instead of food/paying bills or kicking an old lady at the Target to get to a TF.....or even depriving a kid of a TFer and snatching it from them because they wanted it that bad.)

Thanks for posting!!

2. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Of course! Aren't we all?

3. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Addicted?

Yes!

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    you can be addicted to TFs the same reason you can be addictive to anything else. The only diffrence is that some other stuff are more easy to be addicted to.

5. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Yeah and if you ask me there's a whole lot worse things to be addicted to than toy collecting......alcohol, drugs, gambling etc.

6. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I really need to keep better finances though. Transformers is such a trip.

7. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    That's how I justify my TF hobby/slight addiction.

8. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah doing lots of captain ahab on moby dick chases on TFs that aren't even out in local stores is an sign of addiction.

9. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should listen to the Podcast, the guys talk about being completest and their addictions it's kind of like group therapy for both them and the listeners. :lol 

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've actually thought about seeking professional help about this.

Everytime I find/buy a TF I'm on cloud 9. But I usually come down the next day and I'm already thinking about the next thing I want.

And when I see my checklist and how much I've spent, I get depressed.

11. decepticonjon

decepticonjon japness for balls

fully addicted. maybe that's why i really prefer to find the toy in the stores instead of preordering. i love that find and the feeling of ruining some other child's dreams of finding that one toy, that i got before they did.
    eh, i'll grow up one day.

12. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi, my name is Julian, and I'm an addict.

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Addicted to TF collecting? I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go and grind a Universe Sunstreaker into a snortable powder before the walls start melting again.

14. ad0nis01

ad0nis01 Well-Known Member

I think there is a thin line between addicted and obsessed. I much rather consider myself addicted.

15. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I think I'm almost addicted. I mean, I consider myself to be a completist of sorts and that can make me go kinda crazy. But considering I have a job and I live at home so I don't have to worry about bills or anything (except car and insurance payments) I've got the money to spend. And for the record I am responsible with my money, I put half my pay check into savings each week.

But anyway in terms of Transformers I'd say I'm only addicted to Animated stuff. I've considered buying Classics but then I figured I'd only be buying them for the sake of buying something.

The problem with collecting toys is that usually if you don't buy it when you see it you'll never see it again! I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me. Just last week I bought Jazz, Snarl, and Soundwave from Animated and then the next day I went back to buy Oil Slick and they had no Jazzes or Soundwaves left! Same thing with Voyager Prime, I saw him once at a Target (and bought him =D) and I still haven't seen another one.

16. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    In a word, YES.:D 

I'm a sick, sick man, but then again, I love so many other things. TF's are just a focused area for me. And a guy's gotta have his hobbies.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    QFT.

The thing about addiction is that it's difficult to know if you're really addicted or how strongly you're addicted until you try to stop. I can personally go without buying a TF or any toy and be fine for a long time, but I will say that I get pretty excitable when I hear about a TF I really want finally hitting retail. Even if I have a preorder, I start getting impatient and check its status.

So, it's addicting but as far as addictions go, the side effects are mild. They cost money, yes, but all hobbies do, and they take up space. The space thing... well, I don't have a great answer for that yet, but as far as cost goes, it's pretty easy to justify it as long as it isn't hurting you or your families well being.

18. JetnotSkyFire

JetnotSkyFire Possessed by the Alien

I get ridiculed/nagged at/told off at home when I buy more Transformers. On the other hand, when someone else gets more clothes/shoes/handbags she never wears or uses I remain quiet. She's in it for the thrill of buying, so yep I can see it's like being a shop-a-holic. We both like buying things, but need another fix shortly after. There's never enough. Damn why are the shops closed!!!!

19. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Yes.

20. dkrolickm

dkrolickm Beast Wars Predacon

Ebay:
    Same here....:redface2: