Do you think it was right for bay to blame ROTF's failure on the writers strike?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaPrime22, Feb 18, 2012.

1. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bay has said before that ROTF suffered alot during the writers strike and ultimately that was why it was so bad because he only had 3 weeks to write a story before they started filming. I feel there is more to this than meets the eye xD but seriously I dont think all the balme for the poor failure of the 2nd movie can be put on the writers could it?

2. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    The Writers strike was indeed the Problem, Even the writers of the movie blamed the strike.

also the stirke caused many last minute changes on the script

3. SuperJazz

SuperJazz Dictator of my Dimension

It's Micheal Bay of course it was bad, and of course there's more to it.

But the entire movie being written in 3 weeks certainly did not help his case at all. And almost in any series the 2nd movie sucks ass (except Sherlock Holmes apparently).

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I don't think he ever laid the blame entirely on the strike, he only ever mentioned it was a contributing factor to ROTF's skrewed up production.

ROTF wasn't a failure, either. People forget that. It was a critical flop, but was a gigantic financial success.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    No. It's excuse making... nothing more.
    Blame the writers for their content, and blame the director for whatever he tells the writers to write.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope. I've never bought that as being a valid excuse and never will. He as the director, Spielberg as the producer, and Dreamworks & Paramount as the studios all should have seen how shockingly weak & ridiculous that script was and either said "change it" or "let's just wait a couple of months to get a script that doesn't look like a Grade 7 student wrote it". Bay is an intelligent guy, so for him to think that we actually believe he just blindly made the movie of whatever was on the page is as much bullshit as it is insulting. Fact is they all somehow thought that script was good for whatever reason, and it wasn't until the movie was torn to shreds by fans & critics alike that we started getting the writer strike excuse ad nauseum, just like there was no acknowledgement from their side that ROTF sucked and they made a big mistake until DOTM got underway.

Simple as that.

7. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 The best there is...

What's a writers strike???

8. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

It's usually the other way around, the third sucks, see X-men, Spider-Man, Blade, e.t.c

And without good writing, everything crumbles. Take that away, and everything falls apart.

So yes, I'd say the blame lies mainly on the Writer's Strike.

9. SuperJazz

It's when you beat up the writer for being stupid.

10. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, yes, all of the blame can be placed on them. See below:

You have to understand, when this started, he and the studio had expectations that everyone involved would turn in their work.

And they didn't.

You know what? No. I'm not gonna let you have this one. Usually I'm all for people being allowed to have their opinion, but not this time.

It wasn't bad because it was Michael Bay. It was bad because he was given nothing to work with. Yet, somehow he still made it work. Made nearly a billion because of his work ethic.

When the writers took their little break, Paramount was all like "Oh hell no. We're not postponing this. It's scheduled, it's almost ready to go and you need to get it done." Then Spielberg and the producers were all like "They want it done and we'll start losing money. Get it finished!" And so, Bay did.

He was promised X amount of work to work with. He was given almost none of it. He salvaged what he could.

Before Transformers, he had plenty of films that were bonafide hits. Both critically and monetarily. Yeah, his style isn't always the best choice, but he does know what he's doing.

Here's a way to look at it. He was one of a team of surgeons working on a high stakes patient. Right in the middle of the first incision, the other surgeons step away and say "You're on your own. We want more money, whine, whine." and he went in full force and saved the patient, barely.

That's really what happened, when you think about it. Your hate for Bay is on autopilot. It clouds your judgment and makes it difficult to talk to you. Because of this, I care nothing for your opinion, don't want to hear it and will shoot it down.

You can dislike the man, but keep it to yourself. After all the death threats and thefts against him, a lesser man would've run from the job. He deserves more respect than most people involved in TFs today.

Hell, when he lies, it's to keep secrets under wraps so we're not spoiled. When others in the TF world lie to us, we get screwed. Bay's a golden God hero compared to some of the others involved.

I mean damn.

11. SuperJazz

Geez, who lubricated in your energon? And I think you give too much credit to the man.

It worked because most people watched it because they wanted to watch explosions and a nice piece of ass. And if the thread is about telling my opinions about a certain subject, then why are you telling me to keep to myself? I do that enough in the real world, and i'll be damned if I do it here. And Paramount probably wanted it finished so they could start working on DOTM so it would not suck as much as ROTF because it was actually written by writers for a good period.

And other than this comment, I have done nothing to offend you. Why with such hostility? And when he wins either "Best Director" or "Best Movie" at the Grammys you let me know.

And I don' care too much about your opinion either if you do not have the decency to respect mine.

12. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    This.

13. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    well from what i read the striek was one of the major factors many plot points had to be scrapped in the film movie

1. the fallen in a relic
    2. Fallen killing all of the primes desentands (expect Optimus and Sentinel)
    3. Arcee being a 1 mind bot with 3 bodies
    4. How the goverment was able to Cover up the transformers existence

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yes.

I think we (Bay, Paramount, Writers, Writers strike, actors, Hasbro and the fan base) are all to blame for ROTF.

15. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Although the writer's strike was an issue, it wasn't the primary one. As Director, Bay had the authority to postpone principal photography until they had a solid script. It would have pushed ROTF's release date back to 2011, but it would have made for a better film.

The two writers both stated that they were placed in a hotel room by Bay, for two weeks straight, and didn't leave the entire time. Bay had them hash out a story in two weeks that should have taken six months.

ILM also stated that they had begun work on the CGI models six months prior to the strike beginning in anticipation of it, so that when principal photography began, they would not be behind( which happened anyway in post production).

My pesonal feeling is is that Paramount, Hasbro, and Bay all had the same vision: not a great film about Transformers, but how much cash would be added to their bank accounts.

16. Skywarp2413

Skywarp2413 Well-Known Member

There's not much a director can do with a bad script. Why do people rag on him so much? Sure, he isn't the best director we could get, but he sure as hell isn't the worst. *motions to Uwe Boll*

Not to get into you two guys' discussion, but
    1. The Grammys are for music, don't see how he could win for that
    and
    2. Have you seen the shit that wins best movie at the awards shows? The Academy has such a hard-on for foreign/independent/Terrence Malik films that I'm surprised our movies are even nominated for anything. Are you honestly telling me that The Artist holds up against other movies? That whole system is rigged because critics are such pretentious pricks. Side note, the Tree of Life sucked.
    Well that's my rant for the day, back to waiting for TF: Prime Season 2 premiere.

Nothing against you, by the way. And I'm honored to be someone's sig :) 

17. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    fixed

18. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

I don't think all of it could have been blamed on the strike. They simply shouldn't have bit off more than they could chew.

19. SuperJazz

Sorry, meant to say something else. My brain sometimes does that. Plus i'm still mad that Chis Brown won for Rythem and Blues.

And you're welcome, I use it because it's true.

20. Skywarp2413

Skywarp2413 Well-Known Member

Adele: WhyCantIHoldAllTheseGrammys.jpg
    But seriously, she's good.

Anywho, Bay and Co. will never win any award not having to do with special affects or sound mixing because of the reasons I said earlier.