do you think i scammed eb games?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by toma, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i had a white ds lite since they came out. it had the little hinge crack that the first ones tended to get but it never bothered me a whole lot. anyway, it's almost 2 years old and i'd played it a lot. the l and r buttons are sometimes hard to push down and the charger is a bit flakey as in sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't depending on if you jiggle it or not... so it's playable but annoying. anyway, yesterday i got tired of it and i used it as a trade-in and got $45 towards a new black/blue one. now this morning i noticed my sister had messaged me that her friend from eb games said that i scammed them. i'm assuming the flaky charger is what they're talking about. they haven't called me or anything. i really don't think it's that big a deal because i always figured they sent stuff like that back to get refurbished anyway and that's why you only get a lousy $45 for a $130 system. i've never really traded anything in before so what happens here, do they just suck it up or are they gonna be calling me expecting money or something? or is dude just ticked off for some reason about the charger and decided to tell my sister

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    You didn't scam them.

Go see the price they are selling the DS you traded in.
    That's the scam.

3. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I don't think they refurbish ANYTHING. That reason they give you 45 and sell it for 130 is because that's how they make a profit. Their profits on first run games and systems is minimal, and it's HUGE on used merchandise. That's how they stay in business.

I look at it like this, they have the opportunity to look over and check out whatever you bring in and can say "no" at any time. If they don't say "no" and take it, you did no scamming whatsoever.

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Guy's full of it. I say you fight him.

vvvv No, this guy's just being an ass. EB Games has already approved your transaction, they're not going to say or do anything.

5. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

yeah, he did the whole turn the system on and off, checked the charger for frayed cords, all that stuff. i really don't see what talking to my sister is gonna do, what are they gonna do call and ask for their money back?

6. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea they make millions off of used software/systems don't sweat it. They are the ones guilty of scamming most of the time.

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    scamming the scammers= a just deal

8. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Other way around, they scammed you.

9. joevill

joevill Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly!

10. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

It's not your fault that EB accepted the DS. EB used their judgement to say if the device is okay to resell and they give it the thumbs up. You don't own anyone money. Too bad about your sisters friend, but he should have expected somthing like that when buying a used system.

Customer: "A used system that's not working like that's brand new! BLARGH EYE IZ MAD FOUR MINE LACK OUF FOURSEIGHT!"

11. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So let me get this straight... you trade in the game... THAT HE CHECKS ONCE HE RECIEVES... and then later he accuses you of scamming him...

Next time, just tell him "yeah, I feel the same way when I look at all your used games..."

12. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Yeah, they give you 2 bucks for a game that they're going to re-sell at maybe 3 dollars below retail price for a brand new one. That's what I call rip-off.

The only person who's really going to feel cheated is the person who buys your old DS. But then they will turn right around and return it for their money back or a better one, so boohoo EB.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    they checked it, they accepted it, it's fine.

and enigma is right. their used games are a fucking joke. same price for one that has a ugly gamestop replacement case insert and no manual as one with the original case insert and manual. some of their games have fucking cracks in them. my local gamestop has used copies of Oblivion for PS3 all complete, but priced $19, $22, and $27.

... but I did just get a mint complete copy of Robot Alchemic Drive for PS2 from them for $1.99, so they're not ALL bad.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You, my friend, are one of the luckiest punks ever. I am still trying to find out who I lent mine to.

On another note. I don't like to bitch, but I really don't like when I get the last copy of a new game from EB and I'm given the game in an open box with a nasty sticker on it that usually leaves risidual glow on the the box. I know it's WAY too picky of me, but I pride myself in keeping my collection clean. I never complain or choose not to buy it, but sometimes the used games are just as well/or poorly kept as the opened new ones and you have to play full price for them.

15. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

I will never shop at a store that sells an opened and played game as a new. That is fraud, and I don't know how they get away with it.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You know what's funny too... That store, Game Crazy that's a part of Hollywood Video, doesn't have the client number that EB has, but their used games are priced well. I remember GTA Vice City was 50 bucks new, and I bought a used caopy for 35, when the new copy was still 50. EB subtracts 5 bucks from the new copy... shit for 5 bucks, I'll just get it new.

17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Around here the EB-games tell you if they've only got opened copies left. And in fact I've been asked many times, "If open an open copy is alright." I usually say yes if the all the contents are there.

18. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

It's still fraud. They can't sell an opened item as new.

19. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    It's not fraud if they tell you upfront that the item has been openned and you still decide to buy it. You have the option to say no and see if another store has a sealed one.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    their open new copies arent always new though. am I the only person to check the disc condition of these "new" games and occasionally find smudges and scratches?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.