Do You Think Hasbro Is Doing This?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Deviant Anomaly

Deviant Anomaly Obsotted Fangirl

Something else to take into consideration here. Yes, the show is aimed at kids. However kids do not have incomes (allowance doesn't count either). Therefore who is really buying the figures? Adults. Hasbro knows there is huge adult fan base for Transformers and most will be interested regardless if the release comes months after the cartoon aired. If anything, watching every week is only increasing the anticipation. So while the kids factor in somewhere, I don't believe they are the ultimate determining factor in Hasbro's decision making. They know where the greater percentage of money is coming from.

I also haven't noticed a slow down for TFTM figures either. Many stores in my area are just now getting in the first wave of AllSpark Powered and in limited quanities judging by what I see on the shelf. What's hanging on the pegs are figures like Dreadwing, Payload, Wreakage, Swindle, Arcee, etc.

2. taz235

taz235 Well-Known Member

Its funny listening to people who think they know whats going on just because they collect the toys. Transformers has never been a slow seller no matter when its put out. Nobody here attends the Hasbro meetings so nobody knows. Its not marketing because Transformers don’t rely heavy on marketing. Its up to the store to order when and how much they want. I have ordered for Walmart, Target and K mart and its usually up to the department manager.

3. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It may seem that adult collectors amount for a lot of the transformers purchasing judging from the interest seen in this and other message boards but seriously all of the combined purchases from folks like us account for a minimal percentage of total transformers sales. Yes, adults are mainly the only ones with enough income to purchase these, but that doesn’t mean that these same “adults” are buying it for themselves. The majority of “adults” buy TFs for kids. Hasbro has said this time and time again. While they appreciate the dedication and the interest from adult collectors, their target audience for most of their TF lines (especially the main line) is and always will be kids. Every once in a while Hasbro will throw adult collectors a bone (i.e Alts, Classics) but other than that they are catering to kids. I don’t know the exact numbers but I’m going to guess that if adult collectors stop buying TFs then Hasbro will still turn out profits. However, if adult collectors are the ONLY ones buying TFs then Hasbro would lose money on TFs big time.