Do you think GM have total control in picking the cars for the Autobots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by GibsonUSA, Apr 5, 2007.

1. GibsonUSA

GibsonUSA Well-Known Member

Did GM sign a check and hence have total and complete control in picking the vehicle assignments? No one could say "Nah, Camaro doesn't suit Bumblebee"?

So basically, the looks of the Autobots, loved by millions, were totally decided quantitatively by some GM bean counter looking to push out certain new vehicles??

"Okay, we need to move the new Solstice, the new Topkick, and prep the Camaro for 09....THESE WILL BE THE NEW TRANSFORMERS!!"

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!

2. dbec1

dbec1 Well-Known Member

I doubt it. Especially since there is a Ford in the lineup. If they had total control im sure they would have had a CTS-V or something along the sedan lines.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    no. it's fairly obvious the cars were picked based on the characters.

4. Bumblebeefan

Bumblebeefan Member

I know I'll get flammed for this but Bumblebee as a 09 camaro suits me just fine.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    no. most likely scenario when it comes to brand positioning would be 'hey mike we got this range of vehicles we'd like you to include in the movie' and mike like 'ooh we can used this, and this, and this'.

im pretty sure it was a decision by committee.

6. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

actually ford didnt give any licensing............read it in the hot rod article..........technically its a saleen s281 and the main reason they got that was because saleen wanted advertising in return for helping build the 08 camaro, there were no functioning prototypes before the ones made for this movie.

i think GM definitely has the choke hold on the franchise and wouldnt expect to see other lines in the sequels if they make em.

7. dbec1

dbec1 Well-Known Member

^Interesting. Cant see the win-win in that one. 98% of the people(like myself) are just going to see a Ford 'stang, not a Saleen product. Either way - two badass cars.

8. Bumble Prime

yeah im glad for the loophole, cuz otherwise barricade would have been an impala

9. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Me too. I don't see what the big deal is.

10. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    Well, I think it could have been more of a cooperative effort, with the movie team saying, "These are the characters, what do you have to offer," then the GM team showing them a whole bunch of cars that could match the characters, them the movie team picking from that list.

11. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    lets see i think so... reason why they have factories in lansing mi
    dayton ohio and cincinnati oh

12. Ronstar

Ronstar Member

I wondered why there was all gm cars except the mustang... although I dont know anything about this Saleen company, so I guess the advertising idea worked.

13. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

*raises hand*

Ever since pics first surfaced of Bumblebee and "Mustang 'Con Cop Car"/Barricade surfaced, I've been more excited about the inevitable chase sequence that was going to come of those two than I probably should be.

OP vs. Megs, Bot vs. Con...pfft...Mustang vs. Camaro, yo. :p 

In fact, while maybe a bit of stretch, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Bay and Co. purposely used the Saleen as a run around the licensing issue. They knew the new Camaro was going to be heavily featured. It's a movie about transforming cars for fuck's sake. Bay is notorious for elaborate car chases. What better foe for the Camaro than the friggin' Mustang? Can't use a regular one due to the GM deal. Enter Teh Saleen.

14. Bumble Prime

saleen is run by steve saleen and has been tuning mustangs since the eighties. theyve had a high performance model mustang ever since the late eighties with lots of variations on motors. they also make a supercar the saleen s7.

i knew somethin was up when the first pics of new camaro bumblebee surfaced because it was sporting saleen tags, at first i thought saleen was jumping ship to tune but then the hot rod article surfaced and found out they built them.

but yeah basically barricade is a mustang with a bodykit and a supercharger.

15. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Film directors don't like for their hands to be tied. I'm sure letting Bay have control over which bot was what car from the GM line up was part of the deal.

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I got a feeling the vehicle parts will be just as action packed as the bot fights themselves. Didn't bay say one of the reasons he signed on to this film because of the though of having a 90 mph car chase scene that has the cars suddenly change into robots on the fly was too cool to pass up? If this man can do one thing right, it's action, and ILM has already shown it's CGI skills so it's guarenteed this movie will *look* awesome.

17. blueandwhite

blueandwhite Well-Known Member

I would imagine that GM made a real push to get the Camaro featured prominantly in this film. Honestly, there probably isn't a better advertisement for this car (09), and having it kick the proverbial crap out of a Mustang (the Saleen) is just icing. Honestly, I think Bumblebee would have been better as a Solstice (his previous incarnation could have been a Fiero or something), with Jazz as the Camaro, but I understand GM would probably want the Camaro at the forefront.

18. Barricade

Barricade Frenzy is in my pants.

:( 

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I was a little disapointed personally that he limited himself to only General Motors vehicles, I think he sort of limited himself there as there are many other great cars.

Hobbstimus brought up earlier in a different threat that Michael Bay went with GM because of a) a long working relationship and b) easier to licence from one company than several.

Point 'a' I can appreciate, but point 'b' I'm not so sure I can reconcile so easily. Recently I watched the film Initial D, all about car racing. In the film are some popular, high performance/tuned vehicles. In the course of this two hour or so film, cars from at least four different companies make an appearance:

Nissan - Nismo Skyline R32/R33 GTR and a Silvia

Toyota - AE86 Trueno Sprinter (Corolla GTS) {it is worth note, that this car is not only on screen the most, but there are in fact two of them}

Mazda - RX7 FC

Mitsubishi - Lancer Evolution (Models 4 and 5 I think).

Now, thanks to an ongoing manga, anime and video game, the cars of Inital D are as important to the story as the person who drives them.

My simple question is this: is the American Automotive business so competitive that it is incapable of this sort of bypartisanship in films for cost sake, or was Bay just sticking with the devil he knows?

20. Bumble Prime

well ford is kinda low on cash (see their last quarterly earnings) and half the alternators are dodge molds, and well i dont think alternators have been kind to dodge. distribution methods and low visibility alone would call for skepticism on dodges part for licensing.

other than that id say that the cars would definitely be american no matter what, keep american jobs in america kind of crap. and gm has the best sports car/ heavy vehicle line. dodge only has the viper and ford only has the mustang. and i know there are hig performance versions of sedans in both companies (well dodge's anyways) but i couldnt stand to see jazz with four doors.