Do you think G1 Wheeljack needs to step up?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by QLRformer, Sep 14, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    G1 Wheeljack is considered one of Cybertron's best scientists. But in this era, when superhero scientists are very much in prominence (not only heroes with powers, but with super smarts and super gadgets), his own prowess appears to be a bit underscaled.

He's been portrayed as a warrior in PRIME, and before as a Decepticon in ARMADA. It's as if recent writers do not wish to use his scientist/inventor schtick because it may be too MacGuffin-y: he creates a new thingamajik and it gets out of hand or captured by the Decepticons/whoever and they must stop/retrieve it. Which is a pity, because with Prof. Wheeljack things would possibly be more interesting.

I think his scientist ability needs to be brought back into the spotlight, where his knowledge and experiments form a core of the story. Examples are as follows:

Tinkering with Nature - experimenting with organic grafts (like a Pretenders-beast mode tryout) he ends up becoming a feral, rampaging Transformer (like Transmetal Cheetor, but also like Bruce Banner, Curt Connors, Hank McCoy and Walter Langowski). Or in another vein, acquire superpowers (like Mr Fantastic or the Atom).

Tinkering with Parenting - Wheeljack creates a drone/device which turns sentient, meaning he has to now cope with being a parent one of his inventions (like Prof Utonium and to some extent Megamind, since he calls his machines Daddy or something)

Tinkering with Time Travel - he designs a time machine, and all sorts of paradoxes and slag start to occur as a result of (either his or an Autobot/Decepticon's) time travel and tampering with history (something like Steins'Gate or Quantum Leap)

Tinkering with the Universe - Wheeljack messes with the Schrodinger's Cat "many worlds" theorem, and manages to travel through different universes and meets different versions of himself. (This one I like as it sounds feasible enough, have Wheeljack meet his ninja and punk versions and they team up as an inter-dimensional squad like the Omnibots)

Would anyone else like to see Scientist Wheeljack back, but with more amped-up gizmos and perhaps abilities?

2. mrcaino9

mrcaino9 Leakin' Lubricants!!!

^^^YES!!! The Prime version of Wheeljack reminds me of Springer (his personality atleast) & the DOTM version had the scientist role down, but was a wimp. I'd say, they could atleast make him an intelligent/competent grease monkey.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, he was more or less absent for the better part of a decade, so it's just another slow step on his way back to the top.

4. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

Wheeljack destined ark ship too

5. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WJ in TFP is totally different from G1 WJ and I miss the scientist WJ from G1.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I don't think it's ever been stated who designed The Ark. Certainly not in G1 - the Ark was just there, unless I missed a line of dialogue. Perceptor seems more responsible in Fall of Cybertron.

That said, wacky inventor Wheeljack would certainly be a welcome return. The Autobots could use a mad scientist again.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Wheeljack should act more like a DOTM Wrecker. Rude, Crude, yet is Intelligent, destructive but kind of a a-hole.

8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    NO! No more Autobot assholes please! We already have more than enough!

9. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

It's said Jackie (Prime's Wheeljack nickname) is an engineer like the others, just to me introduced later in the series.

10. Uncle Madness

Uncle Madness Well-Known Member

Read the comics.

In RID's Ongoing book, he's every bit the Wheeljack we all knew and loved from back in the day.

11. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't mind. I like Ratchet as the scientist, but Jackie would be cool too.

So long as the science guy isn't Perceptor, I'll be happy. Because seriously, fuck that guy.

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's too late for G1 Wheeljack to step up.

G1 ended 20 years ago.

13. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me too. :( 

14. Anthony _aggro

Anthony _aggro Platypus prime

Ebay:
    Yes, but no.... The current G1 is getting pretty good.

Wheeljack is stepping up in the RID comic.

I want this Wheeljack, but the censors would have a field day.

Wheeljack vs Cereal Commercial - Take 3 UNCENSORED - YouTube

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't buy into the idea that the current G1-inspired projects are actually part of the first Generation. The first Generation ended two decades ago and has been succeeded by a boat-load of following generations and iterations. People now can't return to that first Generation any more than they can return to the Summer of Love. It came, it was great, it left.

Thinking of the current IDW comics as Generation One is like thinking of Oasis as The Beatles. Certainly, Oasis takes a lot from the Beatles and has tremendous respect for the Beatles. They cover some of the Beatles' songs and may even sometimes wish they WERE the Beatles. But they never can be. The idea is ridiculous. There is a difference between an homage and the real, original thing.

Saying "The current G1 is getting pretty good" is like saying, "These new members of the Greatest Generation..." No. The Greatest Generation is past and is no longer accepting new applications for membership.

16. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Depends on your definition of G1 I guess. G1 can be both things I feel - the narrower section of the fiction / toys which covered the original toy releases 1984 - 1990 / 93 (depending on where you were in the world) but also the wider definition of "Neo-G1" which takes that earlier era and continues it / homages it.

I personally do agree with you that G1 was the original (and to an extent the current Regeneration 1 comic since it was expressly being written as a continuation). But I can see the reasoning why some members of our fandom would like to consider the wider Neo-G1 to be a part of G1 too.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Neo-G1 is a term I can live with.

But in terms of straight-up, plain old G1? I don't see how comics like MTMtW and RiD are any closer to being "G1" than the Transformers: Prime tv show is. Or even the Bay movies. Don't they all have basically the same jumping off point? Aren't they kind of all working from the same basic premise? Do people consider the Bay movies to be "G1"?

18. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Takara officially did at one point - do you remember that timeline where they lumped it in with the rest of the G1 series (never mind the continuity) :lol 

But yes, agreed with you on that. I personally take IDW as being "IDW's continuity". It's closer to G1 for using the classic characters and personalities for those characters, and I think the reason that a few of the longer term fans are more into thinking of it as G1 is because it came out during the Cybertron era 2005-6 when Transformers had moved away from the premise and the original characters. At the time it was released, it was the only thing with those characters / designs / personalities on the market.

That being said, if you've read the comics from the beginning it is very clear it is its own thing and a new continuity from the word go. It's ultimately just a shorthand for the style of the continuity or the wider familial grouping I guess. Each to their own, I've seen enough variations of different naming conventions down the years for loads of different series to express how they all fit into the wider tapestry of things.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    On a side note, I'd like to state for the record that I like the IDW comics and think they've been on a huge upswing. But like you said, I just consider them as being their own thing. They don't need to be "G1" for me to enjoy them.

20. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    What I meant was that I wanted to see Wheeljack's scientific ability from G1 to be brought into the mainstream again (it's true his ability has never really left him, it's even being currently seen in the IDW comics). I always felt it was a very interesting role for him, even more so than his other job post of ninja, and that it could serve as the focus of a couple of episodes (like with a few of G1 episodes, or like DEXTER'S LAB).

And also perhaps Wheeljack could do with an upgrade, become a sort of super-scientist, like Mr Fantastic. With all the things he can do, he could also do with augmenting himself and give himself super-powers, and thus make him more competent and a definite Con threat to reckon with (if still a bit of G1's nutty professor).