Do you think Bumblebee is too childish?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by NemesisPrime12, Jan 13, 2019.

?

Bumblebee is too childish?

1. Yes. It's mainly aimed for the kids.

11 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. No. Adults can still enjoy the overall movie.

75 vote(s)
    87.2%
  1. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heard Cliffjumper was split on what to think of it.

• Like Like x 10
  2. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    Definitely not. The action scenes were arguably more brutal than movie 1 and ROTF and had a fair share of adult content like that scene where a guy tried to sleep with his wife’s sister lol

Try to imagine that kind of stuff in a “kids movie” like a Pixar or Dreamworks production, if Bee was indeed a kids movie that scene could never even dream of passing stage 1 of production

• Like Like x 2
  3. sladeprime

sladeprime MS Paint Transformer artist

News Credits:
    Family movie. 006a3NtTly1fxy2rhzmpzg30e805xtzq.gif

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    The descriptions of the movie released before the premier had me worried. Statements such as the focus mainly being on the humans, appealing to kids, et al.

I had nothing to worry about. After watching the movie, it didn't come off as dumbed down and the Transformers themselves had a heavy focus. It was a very enjoyable movie. At no point did I think that it was scaled back to appeal to a younger crowd.

This is the movie Hasbro has probably wanted all along since the 2007 movie.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan DEFIANTLILHORDE

News Credits:
    Pixar hit the “family movie” tone dead on every time, especially with Toy Story movies. Anyone of any age, race, sex or neurological configuration can relate to them. You must literally be dead inside if you couldn’t love toy story 3! No reason Transformers movie couldnt hit similar strides. I guess Bumblebee is a step toward that.. although i havent seen it yet

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  6. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    Very good point, I forgot about that!
    So not family friendly.

Agree on the kid-friendly definition. But "childish" should be replaced by immature.

• Like Like x 3
  7. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Eh, I don't really believe that Transformers can be too childish. It is a children's franchise after all. Maybe if it were to go Teletubbies-level or something. I think I'll answer the question by saying that I think the other five movies are too adult.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I love the first two Toy Story movies but Toy Story 3 doesn't do much for me. Literally everything in the movie aside the animation was done better in Toy Story 2. I do agree on Pixar nailing the family movie tone though.

9. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

That's a much more accurate word.

10. Nickster563

Nickster563 Anymore questions you wanna ask?

News Credits:
    If i could dislike I would, not because the joke was bas but because its still too soon...:cry 

• Like Like x 1
  11. agent j 15

agent j 15 Banned

I think that yes, it is child-friendly and aimed more towards kids. However I saw mostly adults in the theaters.

Iron Giant is a kids movie too, doesn't mean it's bad. Bumblebee didn't insult my intelligence so in many ways while it's more child friendly, it's the most mature of ALL the Transformers films, 86 included.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Just because a project is something that kids can enjoy that doesn't mean that only kids could enjoy it. Avatar the Last Airbender cartoon, Batman the Animated Series, most of the Pixar movies, the director's previous movie Kubo and the Two Strings. Honestly there are times when I find the "kids" stuff to be better crafted that some of the stuff meant to appeal to a more mature demographics. Kind of seems like something drown under it's own pompous weight when you cover how bad it is in layers of dark, grim and gritty. But since the kids stuff can't be hidden under those layers it seems like it needs good character with an interesting story to work.

• Like Like x 3
  13. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Gonna echo everyone saying that, no, it wasn't too childish. It was the perfect balance of mature and family friendly, and I feel that (much like with everything else in Bumblebee) the tone is what the movies should have been in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Astronut

Astronut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Saw it with my 62 year old dad and his 59 year old wife today. They loved it so I guess it's not too childish.
    I don't want Transformers to be dark and brooding.

• Like Like x 4
  15. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think it would have benefitted from a PG rating by removing scenes like the one before Shatter and Dropkick arrive. AFAIK it was being strongly considered but Knight ultimately decided against it. Might've helped a decent amount at the box office from younger demos.

16. sideswipe3

sideswipe3 Well-Known Member

I put the movie on the same scale as Rango. It has a light tone but it has things that both adults and kids can enjoy just like other classics such as The Lion King.

The only way the movie would be childish is if it has some type of math question. For example

Optimus I killed 25 Decepticons I ripped off 15 Decepticons faces how many dead Decepticons still have faces intact.

17. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Exactly. I like movies that have fun. This is a series where robots transform into guns. Have fun with it! Michael Bay's humor and dialogue was awkward and wired. Travis Knight isn't speaking out of his ass.

But Bumblebee appeals to everyone. It's fun for all ages!

"The Transformers been on earth far longer."

Shut the fuck up. Why did they come to earth of all places?

18. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    What makes a movie childish or immature isnt the content but how it is handled. Since they are directed by the same guy, Coraline and Kubo and the Two Strings are hardly childish despite being cartoons. They're fairly dark and intellectual bit approachable and deal with emotions and their themes in a way that is thoughtful and respectable.

Childish would be like the ROTF balls scene. Crass and vulgar for no other reason other than to be crass and vulgar.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    This movie didn't come off childish nor dumbed down at all. Hasbro wanted to use the previous 5 movies as 2 hour commercials to sell toys but parents had reservations after watching the movies(typical Bay humor like all his other movies; mind you, this isn't a complaint against Bay). They need not worry about the Bumblebee movie. I was freaking worried it would be dumbed down and stupidified but was relieved that wasn't the case.

I didn't think any of the fight scenes were too violent. You have to take into account, when I was growing up, Kenner made Robocop toys and aimed them at kids. I saw the 1st Robocop movie as a kid. The death scene of Murphy alone is more violent than all the fight scenes in the Bumblebee movie combined by a far long shot.

Bumblebee had more action than I thought it would too. I was pleasantly surprised.

20. Unicrons Herald

Unicrons Herald Chaos Bringer

No, I don't think it's too childish. In fact, it's a family-movie. If the target-audience was mainly kids, it would be like Rescue Bots and have no Decepticons nor deaths.