Do you think a "Rated R" Transformers movie would be good?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Ignore the possibilities of it happening before posting your reply.

What if Bay and Co. made an R rated Transformers film? And if they pulled it off right it became a success? I want to see some real graphic robot carnage going on, like seriously some intense fight scenes, more violent and graphic than the ones from the first movie.

I don't think that will bump it to an R rating unless they have a large amount of adult language or sexual references. But imagine it being rated R for being too violent? I wouldn't mind that at all.

What is your opinion on an R rated Transformers movie?

2. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
    i think it could be rated R if they showed human gore and more language and sexual refrences but not robot violence

3. bariprime

bariprime Elite Guard Commander

News Credits:
    this

4. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Maybe. But if there is alot of intense violence and fighting it might. I wouldn't mind seeing a little gore in there either.

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Not really, no. Brightly colored space robots who turn into cars do not mix with grimdark blood 'n guts storytelling.

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Robot violence won't get you an R-Rating. When you toss humans in the mix getting gored and what not, then you might have something.

The other two "easiest" ways to get an R-Rating is language, and I honestly can't even begin to imagine any Transformer spewing a Super Bad amount of language in a scene to bump its rating up, and sex. But robot sex? C'mon.

7. Shocks

Shocks Needs a better title.

I doubt hasbro would let it happen. It doesn't sound like a good idea anyway.

8. Sso02V

News Credits:
    If parents were outraged at a pg-13 TF movie, I can't imagine their reaction to an R.

"It was just supposed to be a fun robot movie!"

9. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Bad idea...look what happend with AVP/Requiem...

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

...so ripping a robots face in two in slow motion isn't graphic enough violence for you?

For Transformers to get an "R" rating, there would need to be human blood, gore, sex and profanity. As is, Transformers doesn't really need an R rating to be good...in fact if anything, it needs to tone down the things like language and sexual content to be good. Because it seems one of the universal complaints was the overabundance of that sort of stuff. Nothing the robots due to each other will merit an R rating...it's the humans who cause that stuff. And Transformers certainly doesn't need more humans.

...wasn't AvP: Requiem considered a much better film due in part because of their willingness to show more gore and violence similar to the original Alien and Predator movies while people hated AvP because it was so dumbed down? That's more of an example of the opposite of what the OP is suggesting.

11. AMG

AMG Old School

I don't like the idea. To make TFs a rated R movie it would have to have extreme violence, excessive foul language, make it trashy, or all of the above. I find none of these things are needed, or would add anything good to this franchise.

12. defstar

defstar Autobot...

I maybe wrong but from what I've heard/read many thought it was over-the-top and the movie lacked in all other areas...I actually prefer AVP over Requiem just because the story was a little better even though it was rushed...with Requiem the final nail in the coffin came when the Pred-Alien was pumping eggs down the pregnant chick's mouth...very distasteful...

But back on topic...

R-rating = "not a good thing" for a toy/kid based movie...though there were many things in ROTF that shouldn't be in there for this reason but that's another thread...

13. Sso02V

News Credits:
  14. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I would see it out of curiosity, but as others have said, the humans would have to amp up the R-rated aspects. The most the robots could do would be to say "Fuck" every three seconds.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    No.

Transformers has truthfully been about selling the toys. Even though ROTF is much more adult than TF's are usually, the toys ARE selling.

Plus, do you know what happened the last time TF's ventured into the adults-only market? *shudder*

16. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

No. Please continue.

Although, I'm afraid to find out the answer...

17. Triceradon

Triceradon Sunbow Delenda Est

Two words: Kiss Play.

You don't want to know more.

18. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If those two words don't satisfy your thirst for knowledge, Ethereal, look at the picture on TFWiki on the "Legion" article. That should do it.

19. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    It wouldn't be good for Hasbro but, I'd watch it.

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hard to say. It would really depend on the content in the movie that would influence the R rating. There have been both good and bad R rated movies in the past. Transformers could go either way, imo. Though in the end I don't think it would be good for Hasbro, though even that is hard to try and guess. There would definitely have to be two separate add campaigns for it. One for the movie itself, and another one for the toys. That way they can get the interest of the proper age group for the movie, and still be able to market the toys to the younger age-group. In the end, I really can form an opinion on a potential TF movie just based of of the potential rating. Certain ratings don't instantly point towards a certain quality of movie, imo at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.