Do you think a movie without optimus could work?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaPrime22, Sep 22, 2012.

1. OmegaPrime22

OmegaPrime22 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would people see that? would it be to hard to sell? I know the idea has been tossed around recently before bay confirmed that Cullen was returning. Who could replace optimus?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It would depend, I think it could, but not in the current movie continuity, and possibly not even at this time, since Prime has been an integral part of the branding for a while.

COULD it be done in theory? Sure, I don't see why not.

Who would replace him? Oh man, assuming that you'd want a "leader" character to essentially fill a similar role, Ultra Magnus, Rodimus, a different Sentinel Prime, Zeta Prime, Fortress Maximus, Chromedome, Ginrai, Optimus Primal, Prowl, or a completely new character, just for starters. Prime's spent a lot of time... well... dead. Other characters have had to step up and lead in a lot of different incarnations of the brand.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  3. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

rodimus prime as new autobot leader

4. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it could work. Especially with Rodimus Prime. The names Rodimus Prime and Optimus Prime sound really similar. Plus, I thought Rodimus was a pretty good leader in G1's season 3.

5. TNG Prime

TNG Prime TNG Prime IS a title!

Nope. Rodimus was too noob at times (Though he did fine at others), Ultra Magnus can't deal with that right now, others aren't that great for various reasons, and they all lack the thing Optimus has, the thing I can't put my finger on.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Honestly, as long as he was referred to or even in the film for a short time (aka, he dies in the beginning), then I don't see it being an issue. Heck, that was the format for the 86 movie, and I'm pretty sure it turned out alright in terms of setting up a franchise for success.

7. AMG

AMG Old School

I'd like to see it. But Hasbro would never let it happen.

8. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Well, since Bay and Cullen confirmed he's in the new one. We won't know

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    This.

Summed up: Could it work? Sure. But we'll have to wait until they try it to find out. There are thousands of ways these movies could've turned out like. "Sans-Optimus" is merely a single variation of one of those thousands of possibilities.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd want to see one.

11. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ^^ This guy gets it.

12. Avengers

Avengers Banned

I think it would only work in a newly built & established TF continuity media & toy uiniverse.

Having optimus get replaced in the same continuity with another leader would not work well. Because that new autobot leader will always live in optimus prime's shadows & constantly get compared to optimus by the fans.

When the TF movie francise gets a reboot & new continuity. if it starts off with a autobot supreme leader that is not optimus Prime. then it will work.

My idea for a newer Transformers cartoon series & toy line. was to do a combiners themed series & toy line. where the supreme faction leaders would be city formers Metroplex & Trypticon. they'd be scramble city type 5 man combiners teams,6 man combiner team.

13. AquamanOS

AquamanOS Well-Known Member

They removed him once and it failed. Optimus is too critical to the brand now. There will always be an Optimus.

14. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

It could work, but I honestly don't think it's something the average movie-going audience would want. Remember the backlash that happened the first time they did a movie with Optimus barely in it? Granted, he did die in that movie...

15. 13 Primes

13 Primes Well-Known Member

NO!! I won't see it! if Optimus isn't in it!!! :mad 

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'd be fine with them trying it.

But do I think it would work with the general audience? No.

17. Jayhan

Jayhan Heatbreaker

Honestly, the only reason I'm watching the TF movies is BECAUSE of Optimus Prime. Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime is the movies' SAVING GRACE. Take him away, and you'll lose a whole ton of people from the audience, including me.
    ... On the other hand, if there was a TF movie without Optimus AND without Bay, then I'd go check it out... But Hasbro better hire a talented director for that; little to rare are the directors who are a fan of the franchise and who could understand AND give what the fans are demanding.
    Bottom line, as long as Bay is in charge, a movie without Optimus could NEVER work. Nada. Zilch. Forget it.

18. BumbleDeez

BumbleDeez Well-Known Member

It wouldn't make much money, at least not if it came out within the next decade or so. People expect OP to be the one constant. For a movie to be a hit, they're going to need more than TF fanboys to pay for move tickets, merch, etc. They wouldn't keep making movies without OP if they made one and only the diehards come out.

19. BLK-OUT 4500X

BLK-OUT 4500X Well-Known Member

No no no

20. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only reason they are making a TF4 is because DOTM made over a BILLION dollars in the box office. Word getting out that Optimus Prime was not in it, would scare the studio executives and they would worry about their profit margin. Sure it could work, but it will never happen.