Do you think a Hasbro TV Channel was a good idea?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Superion33, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Hasbro recently teamed up with Discovery Kids to create their own channel. But in the long scheme of things - do you think that is a good idea? More and more shows are going from the cable networks to online. EVERY single episode of Transformers: Animated I saw was online. I watched the majority of Beast Wars/Machines online. I get almost every show I want online.

The advantages are numerous. The biggest advantage is that I am no longer controlled by the TV schedule. I watch when I want. I don't have to work my life schedule around the TV. I also don't have to sit there for an entire 30 mins or an hour to watch a show anymore. I can watch an entire show in 20 mins or 40 mins because of the lack of commercials. That is actually a GREAT thing, as I am not frittering away my time watching pointless commercials and makes the TV shows much more enjoyable as there is no break. Its funny to watch a TV show edited for TV and see the cliffhanger at the end of each segment intended to be before a commercial break and then continue right away without a commercial break. Other nice things are that you can pause if you need to and continue whenever you left off. You can rewind and watch the segment again if it was confusing to you or if you just thought it was so awesome, you want to see the scene again.

Granted, there is still a large chunk of people glued to the boob tube, but the tide is slowly turning the other way. It seems to me that Hasbro is getting into TV when its on its way down. Eventhough its not anywhere low enough to bottom out, it has decidedly started losing power to the internet.

I am writing this because Hasbro could put more money into the writing and animation for the show than the costs associated with managing a TV channel and all the administrative costs. Putting a show online is extremely easy - and requires little as far as financially when compared to the operational costs associated with a TV show. All you really need is a 4 or 5 good writers and an animation crew. All of the other costs associated with putting an episode on TV can instead be used as profit or be used for the writing/animation.

What do you guys think?

2. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Commercials pay for production and studio costs. Putting episodes on the internet brings in no money. Hasbro aside from airing eps on TV can later put them on demand or the web to get more viewers.

Having shows put on the web is no where near as effective as being on TV.

The only possible problem, is the Discovery Kids channel in enough homes to reach a mass audiance?

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    for me its way too early to saw , the channel its self hasn't hit the airwaves and there has been nothing announced (to the best of my knowledge) of what shows will be on it so its impossible to evaluate

4. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yup.

With this Hasbro will have far more control on how the show is handled not just production but showtime-wise.

It was time to tell CN to fuck off already, they treated all the shows like crap.

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People who don't watch TV can have all the same benefits from watching online. Its called Tivo.

6. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

TV makes money from advertising. Just because tech-savvy adults watch things online for free through expensive tehcnology in no way means the television channel is a dead format that should be abandon to conserve resources for producing a show or writing.

Unless people were going to pay for these online shows there is no reason to abandon TV. People watched animated on youtube, if they had to pay for it they would have either waited to watch on TV or stole it flat out, but the expectation that it is still produced with high values would still be there.

So advertisers need to continue to fuel everyone's addictions. IE: TV. While some can watch encoded versions and skip commercials a vast majority of people still watch TV and watch commercials.

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I can't see how hasbro having a tv channel for all of their licenses is a bad idea, especially if discovery kids adds some of their programming.

8. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

As an aside - while a TV company goes get advertising revenue online, they also have costs associated with maintaining a TV channel. Its not free to operate a TV channel and is only purely profit - there is a cost. And there is also a cost with maintaining an online website - but much much smaller than a TV channel's operating costs.

But back to the main point, I guess the thread title is why we have a misunderstanding.

You all are correct, RIGHT NOW the TV idea is great because its still the #1 source of entertainment. But, my question was more along the lines of anticipating a change in people's viewing/surfing habits.

Its a slow process - as most are - but I do definitely feel that as more and more people realize they can see the exact same things online without any of the drawbacks of TV - more and more will abandon TV. I haven't watched TV regularly in over 7 years. By regularly, I mean I catch maybe an hour or two a week of TV. Whereas before, I'd be glued to the TV while eating dinner till I went to bed. Now I get all my entertainment from the internet - including all my favorite shows.

I guess a better question would be - don't you think Hasbro should be riding the wave of change - and having something online prepared for the people changing over?

9. TIE Bomber

TIE Bomber Banned

As long as they stay as far away from Cartoon Network as possible everything should be okay.

10. nkelsch

The major flaw with your concept is what you are talking about is more true for premium broadcasting like like HBO shows like True Blood or mainstream network TV like lost. And those shows have already embraced alternative media like Hulu, Iphone store and On Demand.

I do not feel in the next 10 years that more and more 5-11 year old children will be abandoning TV for online alternatives or premioum Digital subscription solutions. I also do not feel 5-11 year old children will be living more complicated lives where they are not able to watch TV regularly or limited to an hour or two of TV a week so they are not forced to make every second count like adult professionals that are seeking premium television shows.

And because of that, Hasbro has no reason to enter a business model to capture people like you and I who that model is appealing to. They are in no danger of being behind the curve because of who their target audience is.

There is a reason why 6 hour marathons of Spongebob Reruns every Sunday is successful and obscenely profitable. Kids like repetition and it is like having a 24-hour DVD of the shows your kids can watch without needing to have them load and handle DVDs or log onto the internet or use a computer. Even the smartest 5-7 year olds are not going to be able to effectively handle HULU or something like that even if their family had the money and technology to support it.

It is obscenly cheap for customers to have a dumpy TV and a low-end cable subscription reach small children. It is much more unreasonable to expect that you will get even close to the same market saturation via high speed internet, a Media computer hooked to a TV to play online media easily for children.

11. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Sigh...

Like I said before, RIGHT NOW you are right.

In the future - its all gonna be the internet - I guarantee it. See where kids spend more of their time now as compared to before - more and more on the internet. The future of entertainment is the internet.

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As long as their shows aren't like those shitty mini episodes they put on their website, then yes.

13. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

I say they ought to burn CN to the ground with one of those spark scooter things.

14. nkelsch

Oh I agree it is the future, but we are a long way off. We all know 'the internet' is here to stay and digital distribution is showing itself to be a functional product. The issue is it is not an EASY, RELIABLE or INEXPENSIVE distribution network yet.

TV is easy right now. You push the ON button and punch on some numbers and what you want to watch is in your face. Compared to computers, it is infinitely more complicated. Not to mention you don't need any third party stuff to interact with your cable/Dish/Fiberoptic systems. Xbox live is beginning to expose this 'ease of use' to on-demand movies. paying for and watching a movie on your laptop confuses people but they can figure out TIVO or XBOX when it is packaged as an internet connected distributed appliance like their cable box. I think the next wave of appliance box services are going to expand this market.

What was the last time your Cable/Dish/Fios digital box had a problem? never? The technology is basic and maybe costs a few dollars a month and it works. What was the last time any of us, especially non-technical people had problems with their computer? All the time. When it comes to internet distributed media, you have to go through whatever craptastic ISP the user has *AND* whatever crapped up computer they are using. When you distribute it via the TV technologies those things don't exist. Xbox and similar devices are starting to streamline the distribution but it is expensive at this time.

Even with internet distribution, Internet in this country is still by no means able to support high speed with quality bandwidth to every home in america. It simply si not happening and as more people use high bandwidth apps like watching programming, ISPs are beginning to shy away from providing UNLIMITED download usage to end users. The only reason why they can support it now is not everyone is a power user. If everyone who had Internet was using it for television our internet infrastructure would be brought to its knees.

So since many of the major ISPs also provide TV service they have no incentive to help or support digital distribution that will make households reduce to one service that will then double or triple in usage and need that much more money and infrastructure. Instead of 100$ a month for TV and internet that is used sparsely, they will have 40$ a month for internet used heavily. It is a lose-lose for service providers.

Take all of this into account, and the sad fact is TV as we know it is going to plod forward mostly unchanged for decades to come until the internet infrastructure of the nation is upgraded and can support it.

And because of that Hasbro, who has no business or experience in the digital distribution arena has no reasonable reason for them to take the risk of attempting to be a pioneer in that field. It makes a lot of sense to simply reformat Discovery kids that is showing 7 hours of Tutenstien and mix in some 30-minute toy commercials.

15. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am with you on this one. I think that should have been the last post in this thread.