Do you say "I won't..." for effect or do you mean it?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Do you say "I won't buy it!" for effect or do you mean it?

This is an interesting trend I've noticed with fandoms (not just Transformers):

When people know their voice will be heard by the supplying organization, they want to be emphatic. So, sometimes, they lie. They lie about buying a toy, seeing a film or going to an event, etc. They STATE "I'll never buy it" or "I don't ever want it" or "I HATE it" when, in reality, that same fan is clamoring for the product.

For example, with us, there's the (and I believe this is actually true) possibility that Hasbro design and/or feedback teams prowl the boards every once and a while, looking for feedback on items or toys. More often then not, it seems like leaked prototype pictures (painted or unpainted) and pre-production pictures are met with about a 50/50 spread of either "I want him!" or "I don't EVER want him!" People get pretty elaborate when describing how much they DON'T want a toy, too.

So. Air your dirty laundry. Have you posted "I'm NEVER seeing the movie in theatres!" for the effect of making your voice heard, or do you actually mean it? Have you posted "I'm NEVER buying that figure!" to make a point, or do you just not want 'em? Any examples of figures/shows/movies where you were lying?

2. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Well most of the times I really mean it, for example if i see Cybertron Unicron I can say "I'll never buy it" because I just don't like the toy. I mean it has an original alt.mode instead of the giant planet, I like how articulated it is and all that but I still wouldn't buy it. And that's true.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If I say "I'll pass" on something, I mean it. I don't say it often, since I do tend to end up with a lot of the stuff that comes out, but at the same time I know there are limits to what I can afford to buy. I'll never go into the "won't see the movie" or "won't buy that toy" purely for effect. If I've got problems with something, I'll take the time to type them out properly.

4. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

I love it when Transfans who are skeptical about the movie say "I won't go see it", when you KNOW damn well by the time the teaser trailer, full trailer & promo spots are released and the hype gets bigger, they WILL end up seeing the movie.

They may download it of the internet as an act of "OMG I'm sticking it to t3h man!!1", but they WILL see the movie nonetheless. I'd like to see any transfan skip the film entirely.

As for toys, it's tricky. Most people will say one thing when faced with Hasbro' stock photos that have been airbrushed into the next decaded, but then they say something else when a picture of the actual toy, usually mis-transformed, is released. Then they'll say something completely different when/if they get the actual figure.

5. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    :lol  :lol  This is sooo true. :lol  :lol 

6. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

If I say it... it's not to get a point across. Usually it's just because (insert what ever item here) is kind of dull. Mind you this is coming from a guy who buys most every Transformer released. I think what allows me to be so picky now, is the fact that I do have so many.

Even when I do manage to resist the urge to not buy a lazy ugly repaint...... sometimes there are lulls when there is nothing going on.... and I will buy an item I passed on before.

Then there is the second type. I will resist the urge to buy... until said item starts disapearing.... then I become afraid that I may someday regret not getting it. So I cave in... if only to feel better.

7. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I mean it at the time and at the period of mass release, but sometimes I do end up buying something, I said I wouldn't, a year and half afterwards.

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, no. I've never used the "I won't/I'll never" just for dramatic effect. If I actually have a problem with a toy I'll usually take the time to make a well thought out verbal arguement against the item, but I won't use any kind of dramatic emphasis because I feel that that's rather childish. Also, it's hard to make legitimate remarks about something just from the leaked prototypes, Hasbro airbrushed images and solicitations that we see online from time to time and I find that that's where most people will usually complian the most about a toy. However, when they get to see the final version of something in their hands... they usually change their tune.

Myself, I usually try not to pass final judgement on a toy until I see it on the shelf or have it in my hands. There's been plenty of times that I've went and bought a figure and found that I like it alot better than I thought I would (Cybertron Landmine and Mudflap come to mind) than there have been figures where I've thought they would be awesome and I've found them very lacking (half of the Energon Deluxe Autobots).

9. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    What I find even worse than "I'll never buy that" is "I'll buy it for a dollar when it fails miserably and stores'll have to clearance him". It's pretty arrogant to think that your personal dislike will dictate the figure's retail performance, and most of the figures being discussed have never been clearanced in my experience.

10. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

When I say it, I mean it...

But sometimes I end up changing my mind. That's why when I say it, the words used are usually, "I'll probably pass on this one." Or "I'm not interested." Seeing a figure in the store though sometimes changes my mind.

There has been one exception to the rule: Cybertron Thunderblast. I thought, "Okay, the boat opens up and you pull out the figure, kinda like eating clams." (no pun intended)... I was all about NOT buying TBlast. Then when I went looking for Alt. Prime, when he was a no-show, I looked through the Cybertron stuff, grabbed two basics I didn't have... and TBlast was just there. And I had some extra money. So I said, "Well, my E. Arcee needs some company."

Yanno what? I ended up liking TBlast for some obscure reason I can't even put my finger on.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I'll say it's ugly. I'll say it's awful. But I will never say never to a mold.

Too many times have the sucktatstic pictures lied to me about the beautiful toy underneath.

Backstop, I'm looking at you buddy.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

OMG first double post ever!

I win at the internet!

13. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    i ended up buying stuff i knew i didn't want in Armada/Universe (ugh that was a brutala time frame) and to a lesser extent Energon (but never bought Ironhide suckahs!) I've been much choosier in Cybertron, and much happier with my purchases

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is why i usually don't say "I'll NEVER buy X".

Right now I am saying.. "I probably will not buy the Cybertron repaints." No NEVER.. just saying it is highly unlikely i will buy any or all..

15. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I say the opposite. If I kind of like the mould, I'll say "I must have it!" and then I'll wait until it shows up at Zellers and look at it and say "Meh. I could spend that money on gallons of ice cream."

16. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    If I say I'm not getting a toy or not watching a show or not seeing a movie, then I mean it.

I don't really understand why someone would lie about something so trivial.

There are way better things to lie about.

Now if you excuse me, my private helicopter is waiting, and I must be on Supermodel Island within the hour.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    All my posts in News & Rumors about how I won't buy repaints anymore? True.

I make an exception for show characters that appeared in that deco on the show.

Cybertron has a lot of good looking repaints. But I already have the originals, and with as many TFs as I have, I have to worry about storage. I should have adopted this policy years ago!

Alternator repaints bore me. They can go away.

And I really do mean it when I say that if the movie is 70% humans on screen, I won't go see it. I'll download it. I hardly ever go to movie theaters anymore anyway.

I for one can be taken at my word.

18. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Meh, I'm Hasbro's bitch when it comes to alternators, I said I was going to pass on Rollbar and Ricochet but bought them anyway.

As far as anything else, if I don't like something I won't even comment on it unless it's especially horrible.

19. butz

butz slippery when wet

Its pretty rare that I say I'm going to pass on getting a figure, and when I do, I mean it. Take the repaint of the leader class Cybertron Optimus Prime (black instead of blue, etc.) unless someone gets it for me as a surprise gift or something, then I really don't see it ever being part of my collection.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'll give my stance on it since I started the thread -

I used to see Star Trek fans (on 2 other forums I used to post at) berate the upcoming Trek films as hard as they could. I mean, they REALLY foul-mouthed everyone and anyone involved in the movie production process. They'd fill their posts with "There's no way in the Alpha Quadrant a Klingon Targ could ever drag me into that theater (etc., nerdisms, ad nauseum)"...and then WRITE A REVIEW OF THE MOVIE about 2 weeks later and post it. Usually the review was just as sour and bitter, but then Trek fans can be that way.

Some of the folks on the model-kit building websites I post on do this as well, especially with the Monogram or Revell kits. They claim "That thing is HORRIBLE! It's not even worth buying because it'll take WAY to long to superdetail that kit to the level I want it." ...and then they post a how-to guide for superdetailing that kit months down the road.

I think it happens here, too, sometimes, but I don't know who will admit "yeah, I claim I'll never buy a toy and then turn around and do it," but, obviously, we have no way of pointing fingers and/or knowing for sure. It's the internet, right? Anonymity?

Anyway. I'm with y'all. I try to leave my opinion on a product instead of absolutely claiming there's no way in hell I'd ever buy it or something along those lines. I'll admit that I DID blast the TF movie for a while, but I kinda gave up at a certain point - this is not MY film, this is THEIR film with about .000000000000001% influence from me. So feh. I'm eager for the movie. And I'm eager for the classics.