Do you really want a MP Optimus Prime V3?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Apr 25, 2018.

1. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was before people knew MP10 was heralding a new scale and reboot of the line...

2. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Yup, I said as much in a earlier post. I also said that even though we know why they're doing it now and the reason has been happening for years ppl still act in the same manner.

Creatures of habit it would appear. Will be interesting to revisit this thread a month after release to see if the similarities continue.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    I feel the way that I did back when MP10 was announced. I’m thrilled with the current one, can’t get too excited until there’s compelling reason to buy again...and I almost passed it up but MP10 was different enough in look and feel that it was worth (IMO) the price (at US retail)...but times have changed, prices have sharply increased...so something tells me that this guy is going to be $250+ on line.

I always love getting new Transformers and I’m fascinated to see a new, high-end take on the quintessential TF design. I’m not sure I can afford that with so many competing adult responsibilities these days, especially when MP10 still does it for me.

• Like Like x 3
  4. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

I admit to being dismayed that MP1 was getting a re-do at the time MP10 was being discussed.. but MP10 was a comete rr-set of the whole line. Luckily for me I'd only got a few releases at the time MP2 Ultra Magnus, MP5 Megatron, MP6 Skywarp and MP 9 Rodimus Prime, they're still going strong with no breakages so far.

I don't like the look of Prime V3 at all so far, though thats likely to change. I've yet to grt MP36 megatron V2. MOSTLY because its too expensive but partly because it just doesnxt look quite right to me. Its too tall/large compared to the othe bots and cons, but not by much and has a Stupidly big nappy/ crotch area thats too high up and and a teeny weeny torso that just irritates the hell out of me.

I do not want a new Prime. I can't afford it for one thing. I am also very happy for everyone who is stoked for V3, i may join in the fun later.

I do want someone (please) to make an upgrade set to improve my existing Primes articulation. I also think it would sell very well.

5. franpincho

franpincho Garbage man

Doesn't matter what we wan't or don't want.

V3 is happening.

What we have is the option not to buy one.

Not that it will matter, it will sell out anyway. And I'm getting 2.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

The real winners here might be those with dedicated Optimus Prime/Convoy collections. They don't have to wrestle with the conflict some are having over which to keep and which to discard since the "obsolete" version will still have a place in their displays. I've often thought about rebooting to a character-specific collection myself. That character has rarely had a bad toy.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Blunderzag

Blunderzag No,Primal...YOU have FAILED

MP-01 has a kind of obsolete feel but that's an aesthetic thing
    it's the hydraulics that do it for me, it completes the "archaic energon guzzler" thing.

8. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

I remember when MP-1 was released, I wasn't a collector and when I saw it I thought the idea was cool but I didn't really like the figure at all.

Then MP-10 came along and as soon as I saw him I thought, that is Optimus Prime to me! I loved it. It started me down the MP rabbit hole since Sideswipe had already been released and I could see where they were going.

It's way too early to know exactly how I feel about v3 Prime. Full colour pictures and details are needed. There would be room for him if I sell one of my MP-10 should I love the new figure.

However right now I doubt I will fall for it. I'm not a toon only guy and the pictures so far have backed up my concerns. The proportions are not something I like at all even if they do match the toon. Looks very wrong to me. I think the real world alt mode is really cool though.

Having said this im still looking forward to seeing the final version of v3 and hope he meets the desires of posters like DeanML and Sam.

9. redalert7799

redalert7799 Well-Known Member

I’m in. Excited to have a new Optimus Prime. It’s invigorating to have the main good guy updated with extra articulation. I love MP-10 but always felt the legs were too short. Amazing to have so many Transformer options in 2018!

• Like Like x 1
  10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Tbh I can live without a V3 Optimus and I find the anime look to be er, too cartoony. I like my bots to have panels etc.

But there’s a demand for the anime accurate look so I guess TT will continue to churn out MPs in that aesthetic.

11. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

The question I was been thinking about is whether this is not the case but instead the higher margin outstrips the lower units sold.

Let's say they make $20 per unit on 20000 Sideswipes at $50. That's $400000.
    Now say they make $50 per unit on 10000 Sunstreakers at $90. That's $500000.

Under that context, all three of the following could be true:
    1. parts count is expensive (high costs)
    2. toon shift is unpopular (low sales)
    3. Takara is making _more_ money anyway.

It's disheartening to say the least, as somebody who's not thrilled with either the loss of real-world details or panels over panels and faux parts.

I think I'd jump on Downbeat, Sphynx, Outrider, and any reissue of Willis if I were in this boat.

• Like Like x 2
  12. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Toddimus

Toddimus Well-Known Member

I am excited about V3 Optimus Prime. MP 10 is awesome but anything that is an improvement on something is good- even if the previous product was very good.

Optimus Prime is THE face of the franchise and it wouldn't make sense for him to not have a cartoon accurate version to go along with the rest of the high end masterpiece line that is also cartoon accurate. I've seen some people talk about how the direction is going totally cartoon accurate and I don't think that's totally the case although that is definitely part of it. Don't get me wrong cartoon accuracy is a big part of the MP line now- but to me the direction seems to be more like have a cartoon accurate (+) figure, a more toy accurate figure of the same character- see the new Megatron release that is coming out, and then add in some BW and MPM to the line as well.

I like the fact that there are options other than just slap repro labels on your figure to make it toy accurate.

Personally speaking I want a more cartoon accurate figure because as far as G1 goes there never has been a totally accurate cartoon version of Optimus Prime so for me the more accurate the better. Being more posable is just icing on the cake too. I do want to see what V3 Optimus looks like in color and also what accessories he comes with. I liked the arm monitors on MP 1 for example and that would be nice to bring back.

But I think a V3 Optimus Prime is pretty essential for the cartoon accurate fans. And the good thing about it is if you don't like cartoon accuracy and want a different take- well, there is MP 10 and MP 1 as options. So, while whether you buy something comes down to preference the option is needed.

• Like Like x 2
  14. 0kk0p3kk4

0kk0p3kk4 Well-Known Member

Also the head a bit too big for the body

15. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Superhero?

Ebay:
    While I quite like what we've seen so far but I find it very hard to get excited about. I never felt that MP10 needed replacing, although I will be honest and say I didn't feel MP1 did either. Indeed if I think about it it didn't at the time, MP10 was only really fully justified to me once we started seeing that he heralded a new unified scale. I think it was MP13 that sold me on MP10 funnily enough, I skipped other MP releases until that point as I just wasn't sure were they were going with the line. Once it became apparent TT were going all in and trying to make a proper line out of MP I started to take an interest and got hold of a version of MP10.

The reason for this Convoy seems more subtle (for now), he appears to just be an effort to bring Convoy more into line with the more toon centric aesthetic we've seen from Ironhide(?) onwards. An aesthetic I only have a lukewarm opinion on. Plus with MP prices becoming more and more exorbitant with each release I just don't know if I'll feel the 'upgrade' from MP10 is enough to warrant the expenditure. So its all a bit meh for me really.

What's going to sell this to me is more detail. I want to see the features, transformation details, where it improves over MP10, what it gives me that MP10 doesn't...and that it doesn't fails to deliver where MP10 does. If that's enough to justify paying the extra its going to cost me to replace MP10 with it then yeah...I'll bite. For now I've not seen anything I can get truly excited about.

Do we need one? nope. Do we want one? Well some do clearly but I'm not super fussed. Will it sell? Of course it flipping will.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Personally I have zero interest in a new MP Prime. I'm happy with the YOTH version I have and mainly just focusing on MP Beast Wars now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Nope. I already have Hasbro MP-1 and MP-10. Don't need another $200+ Prime.

18. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Well, v3 is a slightly different case. There are a lot more figures out now than the mere ten who proceeded MP10, which factors into the equation and disappoints those who were hoping for some more characters before a reboot. I am still hopeful for some kind of conclusion to the first season cast. Season two, at this pace, will be far off indeed. Especially if they feel the need to reboot characters every five years.

19. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

Ah, Skywarp. A crazy price indeed, but he was SO awesome in hand. Exactly how SS shouod have been, and still hasnt matched in three more reissues.

I know they can do better, but man...six more seekers. I shudder. And I really do like Skywarp and Thundercracker. Just wish that Starscream and the coneheads could have matched up.

And QC for the entire line really, really needs to be stepped up. It's getting borderline ridiculous. Missing paint, parts in wrong places...snapping after one transformation? No excuse for that. Even pre MP10 had a better track record, other than MP9. They have to get it sorted out. They probably won't. And so it goes. I wish these issues weren't so aggravating, and I can finally understand why people choose to stick to mainline and G1 reissues.

20. Fenz

Fenz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    definately ..yes

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2