Do you really want a MP Optimus Prime V3?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am happy for anyone looking forward to a version 3.. or this possibly being your first opportunity at a MP Prime...(cheers).

Personally ...not interested in a version 3, just do not see the need for an update when MP10 still holds up well and there are so many other characters (yet to be made into MP)..

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

I've never actually handled a MP seeker just read reviews so I wasn't aware. MP11 is more compromised than what TakTom could do now with that same general approach because it shares engineering with MP3 iirc. A pure new start with the advancements they've made in engineering would likely be butter and gravy for the designers and the company bottom line, and it's needed worse than Convoy and has a LOT more repaint potential although I can see them gouging people with the exclusivity of someone as essential as Skywarp all over again so maybe they shouldn't.

3. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    I agree but that wasn't my point. My point was there was massive pouring of outrage and resistance at first and then when he was in hand....

Will history repeat itself? It's already started the same.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

No, I understood what you meant. People were reacting to it emotionally instead of trying to rationalize its purpose.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

I personally have no doubt that this will be the definitive Sunbow Optimus Prime. TakTom is finally in a place where they have the engineering capability to make it super tight and tbh the Japanese colors on this will probably be real close to the colors on Hasbro MP10. If this hadn't existed and all the effort went into Masterpiece Galvatron, Cyclonus, Blitzwing, Skids, Lio Convoy, God Ginrai, Blackarachnia, Arcee, Springer, Kup, Jazz, etc etc etc instead that everyone holding out for any of those who owns MP10 wouldn't feel like they're missing much. Maybe. I could be wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fallen Jedi

Fallen Jedi Well-Known Member

I certainly understand what many have posted, that they would prefer a previously unreleased carbot to a V3 Prime, but V3 Prime is coming regardless. Do I want one? I like my MP10, but the articulation is disappointing. If V3 blows it out of the water articulation-wise and looks great doing it...then yes. Right now, there is insufficient evidence that he will do either. So I am on the fence.

7. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Bingo. And whilst you guys rightly pointed out mp01 was grossly out of scale to where we are now we had no idea at that time the scale journey Takara was about to head down. Everything before it was higgeldy piggeldy. This time we know why there's a new version, it's aligning the most popular character to an aesthetic started a few years back. If anything we're more clued up now then back then but still the reactions are the same.

Nowt as queer as folk.

Tbf there's plenty of evidence to show improved articulation even with shitty pics. You have to assume he'll match Mp36 at the very least too.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    I don't think so. MP-01 was great but he was also trailer-less (for most of us), heavy to the point of being a fall-risk from the shelf and too big. MP-10 corrected everything that was wrong with MP-01, so it was obvious in being an upgrade, despite being smaller.

MP-OPv3, so far, only is a change-over. You have Prime on a diet, with a big diaper and in toon colors...that's pluses for those who value those things above all else. But for those of us who just wanted the ultimate Optimus Prime toy...MP-10 (or Hasbro's version in my case) does a good enough job. I guess if I ever see him at $100 or less on sale, I might be darned to go ahead and pull the trigger.

But I'm also willing to admit that this toy is not for me. It's intended for Japan, where anime accuracy seems to be the go to for hobby collectibles these days. So...yeah, I don't think it's going to be nearly the same as MP-01 to MP-10.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This could kill whatever hope there was of Takara releasing a blue and black version of MP-10. I've been wanting an homage to the blue and black cab from Powered Convoy - complete with yellow eyes - ever since the mold was released 7 years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if V3 got that release instead since they're still down with referencing the Diaclone toys.

10. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    I'm gonna assume (rightly or wrongly, no offense intended) you weren't around at the time. Might have been obvious to a few but for most Mp10 was savaged at first. Pointless. Tiny. Why? Ridiculous. I'm keeping mp01 etc etc. This is groundhog day.

It's all there in black and white if you wanna search. Would probably fascinate a shrink lol

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Fallen Jedi

Fallen Jedi Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily agree that the pics show improved articulation, but agree that you are likely correct. Just need to see finished product before I make a (likely costly) decision on whether to purchase.

12. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    The signs are there if you know where to look both on the proto and the design drawings teased but they've been discussed and counter discussed in the main news thread. Looking at seams, gaps and what look like hinges he looks to have double jointed elbows (looks very similar to Megatron built into the forearm), an ab crunch, the space for the shoulders to 'butterfly' forward and he has the same wrist pivot joint as Sunstreaker.

All of which mp10 lacks. Some is educated guess work on what is comparable to other figures, some are pretty much exact and clearly can be seen. Time will tell if its all right.

• Like Like x 1
  13. starquantumstratos85

starquantumstratos85 Well-Known Member

well knowing when both mp01/04 and mp10 prime came out when I was a kid and I couldnt have a job and I didnt have much money as a teenage to get him and now that I'm an adult with my own income I'll for sure be picking him up.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

No, not at the moment. But I probably will once the fully formed figure is shown and pre orders go up.

The real queation I ask myself lately is, do I really want to keep paying into the seemingly never ending re-do figures in the MP line, just to get latest 'best' version? Again...not at the moment. Might have to reassess next year.

Hoping to see some more not yet seen season 1 and 2 characters before v3 Prime shows up.

15. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope not in the slightest.

16. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

I just sold one of the 2 original TRU MP-10s I had misb on eBay this week. There were plenty of them on there to be had. I more than doubled my money which is nice. I actually figured that it was gonna take a long time to sell with the news of V3 Prime but it sold in a couple days.

• Like Like x 1
  17. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    I was very late to the MP-10 party, and although all my other MP's are the Takara version, MP-10 is my only Hasbro version. I often thought about also getting the Takara version, but I've always been put off by some of MP-10's design. They've been mentioned often before: the legs are off compared to any other media version of Prime, and his arms could stand to be a little shorter. On the other hand, I always liked the heroic tapered chest made from a 'fake part', and the transformation is fun and intuitive. However, what I dislike / hate most about MP-10 is the alt mode. It's awful as far as I'm concerned: the space between bumper and front wheels is terrible and the rear, including the turntable, is far too high. So yeah, I did always want a more accurate version of Optimus Prime, even without standing him next to Megatron.

When I found about Prime V.3, and when it turned out to be a real thing, that definitely made me happy, and I most certainly will be getting it. Both robot mode and alt mode seem to me to be far better than MP-10.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DarkEyes

DarkEyes Well-Known Member

Some people don't understand they don't have to buy every item Takara or Hasbro is offering.

If you feel better with MP-10, nothing is going to happen if you don't buy MP-35. It is not like you are going to wake up someday with a horse's head in your bed. Actually, nobody cares.

Guess what, there are people who do not like MP-10, prefer MP-01.

• Like Like x 1
  19. lord ginrai

lord ginrai Beastie lover

News Credits:
    After seeing the first glimpse of this figure I definitely want it pretty badly!

MP10's wonky proportions and highly placed knees can make him look quite awkward in certain poses (while being able to look super bad-ass in other poses and from certain angles). The vehicle mode also leaves a bit to be desired with the fat rear end and front wheels that are placed too far back. He looks a bit like a deformed chibi truck.

I only got MP10 a year or two ago but will probably end up selling it.

The figure was definitely impressive for its time, but the times have changed and I'm ready for something more on par with the recent Masterpieces.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Takara releasing a new MP Optimus makes sense. A lot of sense. Outside of people who don't own MP-10 yet (for some reason), Optimus is the cash-cow of Transformers. The guaranteed seller. A new Optimus will thus bring in money to invest in the line and rejuvenate interest in the MP series.

Plus, the esthetics of the line have changed considerably since MP-10. From Hasui's focusses line of a mix of influence (MP 10-22), a time of transition with sometimes more toon sometimes something else, while the last couple of releases (most notably Sunstreaker and Megatron) have shown a shift to far more cartoon based, far more complex figures and a much greater emphesis on articulation. MP-10 despite all its gualities, doesn't fit with this.

So I can understand it.

But I don't care and I won't buy him :D 

Not just because I have MP-10 and have loved him from day one (event though I always have and Always will dislike the short lower legs: always wanted them to be a bit longer -- the under- and oversized KO's have imo better proportions simply because this change). No, it's because I prefer the Hasui mix over the current toon centric focus.

If I look at my MP collection and buying. I've bought them all (save Grapple), but sold Sunstreaker, Megatron, Inferno and Ultra Magnus (and Tracks and Ironhide are only still in the collection because there's no good alternative). I didn't like how they looked and/or how they handled.

Outside of not caring for the toon-centric approach (I never cared that much for the cartoon: it was a 25 minute show once per week versus playing with the toys almost every day), I find the current MP's to be overly complex, too fiddly and have too much kibble. Transformation is now too much (imo) a case of a lot of panels folding and turning the figure almost inside out. Very impressive transformations, but not to my taste. Plus, figures become riddled with panel lines and folded up parts (Sunstreaker and Megatron in particular) as a result of this inside out transformations.

(Sunstreaker, for example, shares many similarities in how the robot comes from the car with Wheeljack and Bumblebee (hood becomes feet, canopy chest and the rear forms the arms and back). But MP Bumblebee and Wheeljack have an elegant simplicity to their transformations resulting in a solid robot, while Sunstreaker is a mess of panels turning and twisting resulting in a robot that's riddled with panels and a backpack in which everything is stored.That's not what I like.)

Will the new MP Optimus be impressive? No doubt. He will blow MP-10 out of the water in the poses he can achieve and the display options. But I have no doubt MP-10 will have the nicer transformation. And most importantly to me, MP-10 has the many nods to the toy in all the surface details copied from the G1 toy or the real truck. Things OP-3 (likely) won't have. And thus I prefer MP-10 and will stick with him.

But it's great for those who want what OP-3 represents :thumb 

• Like Like x 4