Do you really want a MP Optimus Prime V3?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'm not personally after any more Masterpiece figures, but I see enough of my friends and fellow collectors excited for this, so good for them! MP-10 is still a delightful and relevant figure, sure. However when you compare its posability and level of engineering with Megatron MP-36 and Sunstreaker, it's not quite at the same level while still a brilliant figure in and of itself. If the aim of MP Convoy V3 is to stand comparably with the level of engineering, articulation and heavier toon-styling of MP-36, then I don't think it signals a scale reboot. It could open the doors for a new MP Starscream and seeker series, maybe the odd re-imagined MP car with up to date engineering and articulation like Sunny, but i think it would be good for a lot of MP collectors to have a Prime worthy of the Megatron we just got.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 3
  2. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Does a bear shit in the woods?

There's probably a fair amount of ppl who never got the chance to buy mp10. Ppl are forgetting that. Money issues, maybe weren't collecting. Now they get that chance. Or a cheapo mp10. Choices.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

Nope, I'm perfectly content with my potp leader optimus

4. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

yes thanks.
    that doesn't mean my MP 4, MP1 B, MP 10 and MP 10b aren't going anywhere

5. ZachimusPrime

ZachimusPrime Enjoys Robots

Very much I do. Finding MP-10 nowadays is kind of a pain, and besides I can agree that MP-10 is starting to look a bit outdated. Especially the legs and arms.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Not really on my radar. I'm getting MP-36+ just because it goes better with MP-10, actually.

7. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

If they were really going to do another version of Op, they should have done a Powermaster version.

While this new toy will probably be even more toon accurate, Im generally happy with my mp-10.

And lets not get started on the fact that Galvatron or Cyclonus dont even have 1 official figure!

• Like Like x 2
  8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    MP God Ginrai would be an automatic buy.

9. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Personally, I'm content with my MP10 so I really don't need another myself. However, I'm not mad its happening since there are both fans that like cartoon accuracy and newer collectors that might not have MP10 so I have no doubt it will be a good seller especially since this is Convoy/Optimus Prime. Only thing that could screw it up is shoddy QC like the Encore God Fire Convoy set.

10. jru42287

jru42287 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    Unless the V3 really blows my pants off, I'm sticking with MP-10. From what we've seen so far, I'm not convinced he's an improvement.

• Like Like x 1
  11. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    It's basically MP-10 on a diet and in cartoon colors, in my eyes. I know why people want that but I think I'll stick with burly Prime myself.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Indie Musician, Scumbag Jesus

a new seeker mold is needed way worse tbh, and I don't even collect MPs but I know that MP3 was fucking weird with the "actual model jet" pathology and that MP11 (iirc) just kinda tweaked that to be up to snuff with MP10. Jesus Christ the G1 seekers are honestly some of the EASIEST designs to engineer but they keep just doing weird shit. Legends class with no neck, combiner torso with a bajillion compromises, a fiddly barely accurate at all mess with a "Masterpiece" branding. Go back to basics The classics 1.0 deluxe imo is the best seeker engineering that I've personally handled, and honestly it's the G1 toy just a little more sophisticated. Use THAT TF scheme with a Masterpiece level of effort and don't fumble it TakTom, and you'll print money in every color of the rainbow.

Convoy V3 is looking sexy to me currently, but if I was an MP collector (I'm not) who already had MP10 (I don't) living in the current socioeconomic environment (I do) this wouldn't really interest me much.

13. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

i think a new mp optimus = a re-commitment to the line from takara. thats a good thing for me. granted i do not like the overally toon styling of many releases mp-36 megs seemed to be a good balance of toon likeness with detailing. that being said, i still lament his IMO (and people have their own opinions here but whatevs) too long legs, too short torso (it looks like when he was drawn more poorly, not when he looked cooler, IMO), and lackluster deco and finish. that being said mp-10 still looks BETTER than mp-36 to me. it does lack in articualtion etc. in comparison. this new prime....i'll wait and see. i do like this new take on his proportions (yes more toonish/humanoid) as a change of pace. the new 3PMP proto looks way more like the "Transformation resuse scene optimus" (which is bigger and broader in feel) as i call it than this does though. i guess...which scene or animation model do we compare too matters a lot.

14. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Thinking about it I think I've time slipped to 2010. Pretty sure everyone was saying the same thing about mp10 because mp01 was good enough. Me included.

What's the odds once v3 is in hand we'll get the same outcome again. TF fans are nothing if not predictable and the circle is complete only to start again in 2026 when v4 is unveiled.....

• Like Like x 3
  15. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I....guess I do?

I'll probably get him.

• Like Like x 1
  16. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hell yes I do.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

Depending on the cost (and if he'll be a Hasbro release as well), I'll probably get him...but as a complement to my collection of Primes, not a replacement; I stand by what I've repeatedly said about MP-10.

18. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

But MP-10 was in scale to the other MP figures (bar MP-05) and had the same aesthetic as them all (except MP09).

Personally, I find Mp10s articulation perfectly acceptable (I don’t have him posed like an extra from the Matrix) and have zero interest in a toon Prime. I’m just disappointed that the chances of a MP Jazz I might like are getting ever more remote.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Harpoon Accurate

I do feel there was more of a necessity to redoing Convoy back then since the original was way out of scale. That figure set the tone for what they were looking to achieve with the continuation of the line, especially as they shifted their focus to some of the Autobot cars. I actually continued to back MP-04 as one of the best Transformer releases of all time (still do). I did keep my MP-04 for another 2 years after purchasing MP-10. Unfortunately, a lack of space is what forced the former out of my collection.

I don't know about that. I mean, the MP seeker design in both of its interations shared a lot of the same basic sequences with the Classics seeker mold you mentioned: telescoping legs, fold-out arms and hands, flip-out feet, cockpit splitting from nosecone. Even the wings have a similar process.

20. JJohnson

JJohnson Well-Known Member

Honestly I would much rather have Jazz, Hound, Cliffjumper, Red Sunstreaker, Insecticons, Brawn, other mini-vehicles, Kup, Springer, Arcee, Sharkticons, and Quintessons before a third MP Prime. Give us some not-done-before figures rather than retreading Prime again for an undetailed figure.

• Like Like x 2