Do you prefer the Transformers as secret or public knowledge?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SHINOBI03, Apr 13, 2012.

?

Do you like the Transformers work in the open or in secret?

1. Why keep it a secret? Let the whole world know their existence

19 vote(s)
    26.0%
  2. Secret of course. They are Robots In Disguise.

54 vote(s)
    74.0%
  1. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

So as we all know, the Transformers has been public knowledge for Earthlings in G1, Energon and Animated, and a secret organization acting in the shadows with only a minority know their existence in Armada, Cybertron, Prime, and somewhat in-between in RID and Rescue Bots.

What do guys prefer?

Personally I like them better acknowledged by the Earthlings. It gives us more interactions and more human characters instead of just the main ones. And to be frank, I think the whole working undercover seems a bit tiring with the hiding and retreating and lying and removing evidence. I know they are called "Robots in Disguise", but sticking with the same characters and working in the shadows isn't as interesting as fighting in the open and seeing the panic of people when chaos starts.

2. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Public mostly.

3. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Secret. The "public knowledge" setting has been suprisingly overdone with the Robots in Disguise.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Secret. Infiltration handled it the best.

5. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    Secret for the most part but become public knowledge after some time. Its unlikely that they will be able reamain hidden forever unless both sides start using some sort of mind-wiping tech

6. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

What was said in the post above. Huh. What? Just use "this"? OK. That is one of the few TF comics I've read. I really need to get around to buying some others. I really liked the way the mystery of the TFs was handled. I also feel that Cybertron did OK and the first Bay film too. One of the many reasons I think TF1 is the best film.

7. Ryan F

Ryan F Transform and Roll Out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think that 50-foot-tall robots can't go hidden forever - it's inevitable that they become public as soon as they transform into robot mode.

Plus, the whole 'disguise' aspect is probably more valuable to the Autobots on Earth as it is for the Decepticons - It's probably in the best interests of the Decepticons to cause as much panic, terror and chaos as possible - and what better way to do it that by stomping around in robot mode causing mass hysteria?

Also, it's been established in various media that humans have a hard time discerning between Autobots and Decepticons, so by making it publicly known that many of the Transformers have evil intentions, this will inevitably reflect badly on the Autobots - look how much trouble the likes of Circuit Breaker caused the Autobots in the old 80s comics, for example.

And of course, with some of the Transformers, it's just impossible to hide them because they have no Earthly mode - Trypticon, the Dinobots, the Firecons, the Pretender Monsters... none of these could go very far without garnering human attention!

Any attempt to depict the Autobot / Decepticon war on Earth as secret is unrealistic in my view... but then again, Transforming alien robots aren't exactly the bastion of verisimilitude, so what do I know!

8. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I prefer it when they try to keep the secret of their existence on Earth only for the effort to ultimately fail miserably and with as much backlash as possible.

9. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i like see tfs be in pubic

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well, this probably makes the most sense. Like, X-Men & Gargoyles come to mind as shows that dove into the aspects of what would happen if shit got out (much of which had to do with hatred, fear & bigotry), and I really can't see it being any different for Transformers.

Like, it might be a little easier because they're physically much stronger & don't need to rely very much on human society like the mutants in the Marvel Universe did, but a world where everyone knows they exist without it being a HUGE worldly deal doesn't seem fitting unless we're like 200 years into a peaceful coexistence, and even then you'd have people like those bike rider dudes in the comics who'd hunt robots as a pastime.

11. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

See I'm fine with it being public knowledge and still being robots in disguise. If all of the Transformers are taking earthly forms like real cars and real planes, etc., they're still "robots in disguise". Because you never know. The car driving next to you, or the plane flying above you might be an alien robot and you don't even know it.

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Secret, with the government hushing whatever happens in public up men-in-black style as a plot point and source of conflict for the Autobots.

13. Chromia217

Chromia217 I luv Mark Hamill

Secret

14. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

I agree that the public finds out eventually, but like TrueNomadskies said, make it like X-men or Gargoyles where it feel likes a big deal. The Autobots shouldn't come to earth, drive to a populated city, transform and say "Hi, we're the Autobots, robots from an alien world far away and we've brought our planet destroying million years long war here. Don't worry, we're the good guys; we're cool, right?"

15. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

Secret, at least for most of a series.

16. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Secret. The whole point was Robots in Disguise. When they got away from that, it starts to lose it's appeal and get goofy

17. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I like the fact that in the films their existence is made known by the Fallen, but how most people are so caught up in their daily lives they don't really care or notice until something happens.

I think the battle in Chicago would have shaken a lot of people around the world out of their apathy, and at least revealed to humanity how our existence and our world is so very fragile, and so very important, that an entire race of beings would die to protect us.

That says a lot about how special we are.

18. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

It occured to me that knowledge of the Transformers existance while still being robots in disguise is somewhat similar to a super hero being disguised as his/her alter ego. It's like when Optimus Prime is in truck mode, it's equivalent to when Superman is walking the streets as Clark kent.

19. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm going to throw my hat into the secret at first then public crowd.

Even in public earth modes are still practical for the same reason stars don't paint their name on their cars. Being able to hide always useful. I just don't want them to have to hesitate all the time when trouble hits the fan.

20. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

Both. Sometimes in secret, sometimes as public knowledge. Variety is the spice of life and all that.