Do you prefer the new movies or the old animated shows?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Primal_Sigma, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Primal_Sigma

Primal_Sigma Member

The new movies really made interested in Transformers in general. Brings me back to my Beast Wars days. Now I've seen the 1986 movie as well, and some G1 episodes. Awesome stuff!! What do people think about the live action films? Don't they seem kind off more adult than the old TV shows?

My parents would've certainly not let me watch this movies at the age when I used to watch Beast Wars.

2. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I honestly think that there's positives and negatives to both the films and the shows.

Beast Wars will always have a special place in my heart as the show that hooked me on Transformers, yet I appreciate both the action shlock angle that the recent films have taken and G1 for starting it all.

3. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Why so Geewun, Loser?

I frickin LOVE the movies!! :D  they introduced me to the transformers world. I went and watched G1 & Armada eventually but the movies are deffinity my favs by far :D 

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I prefer whichever has fewer references to masturbation and robogenatalia.

I find the movies more teen than adult, frankly.

5. Primal_Sigma

Primal_Sigma Member

I guess they are "adult" in that they have all these sex references, fart jokes, and even that time Shia laBeouf's mom is high on the 2nd film... wouldn't see that kinda stuff in G1... G1 is really for kids, wouldn't call it adult either, would you?

I don't know if it was the action, but at least just seeing Optimus Prime brought me back big time. I think its the same for some people??

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I prefer the old comics. The recent animated shows (TFA) aren't half bad, either.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Of course not.

8. Mr Happy Squid

Mr Happy Squid Well-Known Member

Am I the only person that doesnt like Beast Wars?

9. Primal_Sigma

Primal_Sigma Member

Well what do you like? The movies?

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Movies. I like vicseral real-life (even though it's CG) robot action. The old toon, having not grown up with it, has nothing for me.

Also I agree with the above. I'd call it teen humour instead of adult. Not that there aren't some genuinely funny parts of the movies, but things like Wheelie humping should never have happened. I'm a hardcore movie lover, but stupid shit is stupid shit, and nobody can defend that.

Likewise the old cartoons had some genuinely funny bits, but were overall dorky, dated, and incredibly unsatisfying. Overall I pick which looks better, and that's the movies everytime.

11. Mr Happy Squid

Well I was an 80's kid, so always G1. I guess I never got on with the animation style of BW or Armarda/Energon/Cybertron. Loved Animated though and the movies!

12. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    I can't have an opinion on beast anything because I can't get over how it looks long enough to watch it.

My favorite continuity by far is Marvel's G1(especially the UK stuff). I can appreciate the exposure the films generated for the franchise, but I find nothing compelling in their stories or robot designs.

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

More or less this.

14. Primal_Sigma

Primal_Sigma Member

Plots make more sense in the live action films. Why the hell did they kill Optimus Prime in the 86 movie??

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Because his toy wasn't on shelves anymore.

16. Mr Happy Squid

The whole '86 thing was about introducing different toys onto the Market. Not a popular decision though, hence Prime was brought back to life.

17. Primal_Sigma

Primal_Sigma Member

Hmm. I guess that makes sense... I haven't really collected toys since I was a kid. I always preferred the watching the shows and now the movies.

Can't believe the toys have so much control on the films. That feels kinda wrong...

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Toys come first in TFs always. That's what it's been about from day one. (the toys came before the TV show did) They don't have as much control over the current films and shows. The old TV show, and by extension, the movie, were just glorified commercials for the toys. Of course since then most of the shows have been less commercial-y and more actual story-telling, like BW, BM, Animated and now Prime. That's why in shows you'll sometimes have an instance where something doesn't make sense plot-wise, but when you look at it as selling toys it makes perfect sense. Luckily we're in an age where it's much less the case, and the toys and fiction get along much better.

19. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    My answer is they both have their pros and cons. I love them both. Yes, that is possible, hehe. :) 

20. Primal_Sigma

Primal_Sigma Member

Well I don't know how a humping Wheelie toy, or a Devastator with genitals would help sell toys at all though...