Do you prefer speaking or silent BB??

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by darthrage, Sep 11, 2007.

1. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I was a little thrown off when BB starting speaking near the end of the movie. To be completely honest, I wished he had stayed unable to speak because the voice they gave him just didn't suit the Bumblebee character that we got to know throughout the movie.

I personally prefer bumblebee to stay as the silent character. Because that was part of his charm and ,for lack of a better term, "cuteness". The fact that he cannot speak makes him so much more loveable. When he is captured and he starts whimpering, it wrenches at our hearts. Think about how much less effective it would be on an emotional level if BB started yelling out in a British accent during the captivity scene "Sam!! Help me!!!" (not that he yelled in the movie).

But just the fact that he stayed silent spoke with the radio made him Bumblebee more charming. I'm just thinking about how weird its going to sound now that his voice is back for the sequel. Think about what it is like to talk to your dog. You know it can't respond but deep down inside, you know he is listening and can understand and you don't require a response from him. Thats the way BB should be. I know its not 80s cartoon accurate but for the movie, it reaches out to us so much better on an emotional level.

2. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I prefer him speaking. He's a high ranking soldier in the Autobot forces, He's not supposed to be cute. He's supposed to kick Decepticon ass! My favorite BB parts were at the end when he trashed Brawl & then spoke. I loved it when he finally spoke & I didn't have a problem with his voice.

3. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

call me crazy but i thought the idea of 'bee talking thru his stereo added a spielberg-type charm to the whole thing,which i thought added to the film.i did prefer the first version.

4. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

I loved how he used music in the film, but I rather prefer him talk.
    So what not both? =p Speaking in 'bot form and a bit of music-communication in car form.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i was actually put off when we found out that BB was going to be mute, but for all intents and purpose of the movie, it really really worked. its wouldve been an entirely different movie if we were introduced early on to the TFs and they were like 'hello earthlings, we come in peace!'. and it really made the bots intro more grand, when we heard optimus speak for the 1st time.

WHOS GONNA DRIVE YOU HOME??!!!!!

6. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

What KA said.

7. hanwombat

hanwombat I'm not a Wombat really..

Speaking, I was majorly pissed off that he say 2 lines right at the end

8. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I think I prefer him to be silent after hearing what his voice sounded like near the end of the movie. They could've used a better voice actor.

And BB was cute in most scenes but when he is pissed, don't mess with him. I loved it when we saw him put on his battle mask for the first time and he was pointing his plasma cannon at the Sector 7 guys. That part was handled well.

But the silent BB works well in the film because you feel for the character more because he is like Sam's loyal friend, like a dog, if you will.

I guess I'm not so much bothered by the fact that he spoke 2 lines but by the fact that his voice sounded nothing like what anyone would've imagined what BB should've sounded like.

9. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    i didnt mind him speaking honestly i got a wee bit teary eyed at the end i know i know i am a sapp but it was a very nice ending to the story line of Sam and BB getin to know each other. I think that it will be even better in the sequel when bb will speak more. I thought it was a nice mixture of both for the first movie.....dang it bring on the second one already!

10. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i really enjoyed his silence. it made the bond between him and Sam seem much deeper.

11. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Silent. The voice wasn't all that bad, considering he's more a gentle giant than the rest of em 'bots to humans, but it was just really... soft. Speak up, BB! We can't really hear ya.

That and I prefer action to talk.

12. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Non speaking BB was really cool, even though it was something I was unsure about at first

1. Watching them in a crowded theatre, the music scenes with Mikaela were hilarious. It was great that they used classic songs instead of Linkin Park or rap music.

2. I really liked the pieced together radio conversations throughout the movie and the "Any more questions" line.

3. Imo, BB's capture would defnitely NOT have been half as emotional if he was yelling out the whole time. Just seeing his giant eyes, and hearing those squeals was pretty heartfelt.

For the purposes of the story, and its emotional aspects, I really think BB said more without saying anything than he would have if he was speaking the whole time.

-I should that I did like the "I wish to stay with the boy" line. It was really important for him to say that, because it showed that he finally found a friend. -even if he sounded like Abe Sapien.

13. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

give him some r2 sounding like vocalizations and i probably like the mute bb better

14. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish he never got his voice back, I liked the radio-speak, it was good comic relief and opened bb up for great quotes. Hopefully in the next movie he doesn't talk in car mode and only in bot mode.

15. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Prefer him speaking... all that "radio/tv-speaking" is more for a Wreckgar type or Jazz (didn't like his way of talking nor attitude).

16. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

bumblebee had a british accent. so therefore the voice rocked

17. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I was all geared up to hate the 'radio-talk' stuff from Bumblebee in the film, but have to grudgingly admit that it was nicely done. Doesn't really have the mileage to run to a second effort though - the gag is going to get old pretty quickly!

In terms of his voice, well I dunno, I was very disappointed by most of the 'bot speaking parts throughout, most of which seemed to be far too similar for my liking in their 'growly-deep-voice' rinse/repeat (apart from the AWFUL Jazz - what was that about?) At least Bumblebee had something different, though I would've thought something a little younger sounding might've been more suitable.

On a slightly different note I was a bit put out that the writers chose to drop the established character of 'Bee as the weakest Autobot - chock full of courage, but ultimately not really built for fighting unlike so many of the others. It always gave him a nice edge in the comics and worked nicely with the idea that he feels a kinship with the weaker humans.

18. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

Hee hee. With you on that one! :) 

19. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    The problem isn't the voice they picked, it's that we all got used to his 'other voice' throughout the movie. It was jarring.

Like when they turn your favourite comic strip into a cartoon, and you hear the characters out loud, and you're all, like, "That's not how Hobbes sounds!"

20. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    i rather have him talk... and i want dan Gilvezan to voice bumblebee
    or daniel ross