Do you open your transformers when you buy them?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ASSASSINAWOKEN, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Most of mine get opened eventually. But I'm a rainy day collector. I'll buy bunched of them at once and only open one a day or so. Or not open any at all for a long period and then have a huge break-out party where I open about twenty of them in one day. Right now I'm sitting on a backlog of about sixty of them that still need to be opened, plus a few laying around I plan on keeping sealed for all time.

2. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just got back from toy shopping on my lunch break, and Im here sitting at my dest at work opening them up. I hate carrying these huge boxed home when the loose toy fits easily in my bag. The boxes dont even come home with me. Then onto a shelf once i get home. They do get transformed/played with every once in a while.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I definitely open mine. Whats the fun of buying a transformer if you can't transform them?:D 

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I open pretty much every TF I get as soon as they arive at my house. I respect MISB collectors, but I love opening new toys and fiddling about with them way too much to keep them sealed :) 

5. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

if they look good enough in the box, I keep em there. But I like most of mine in robot mode, so they usually get opened and tf'd into robot mode.

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Yep, open your toys and fiddle/play or whatever you want with them. Honestly, people telling you to not open them because they're "collectibles" are somewhat delirious. Most of the modern stuff won't appreciate as much as some are thinking compared to the original. It just doesn't work that way...

7. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I open them the same day I get them. No point in getting them if I dont.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I open mine. They display better that way. Who wants to stare at old boxes?

9. ASSASSINAWOKEN

ASSASSINAWOKEN Well-Known Member

Here is an odd question, I have some low end value RID transformers that basically no one wants, should I open them up or ebay them, they seem to be loving around in boxes in boxes for the last three years or so.

I have not opened my G1 reissues of Satrscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp, because I have not found any copies of them. I sure as heck opened Dirge I use to have him when I was a kid, such joy.

Staring at cardboard boxes suck, I switch my collection with what space I have, I am looking into a new way to get some extra display room in the form of some decent, but attractvie shelving solutions.

This thread has increased morale!

AA

10. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have pretty much opened every single TF I own, with a few exceptions:

1. Repaints, remolds of figures already owned. Mostly because I already know how they transform and I already have one of that toy OOP.

2. The Alternators series. I buy one of every figure (still missing 4) and duplicates of each new mold (still missing 2), and I only open the duplicates.

3. Rare, or very expensive toys. But I don't have that many, since most of my TF money goes to newer figs or G1 stuff which is already OOP.

The only toy I can remember opening in the parking lot was Tankor from BM. I was on my way to work, stopped at the local Wally World and couldn't wait until I got off work later that evening to open him. It kinda sucked that I had to leave him in the car for so long (8 hr shift), but I did crack a window for him ;) 

Edit: Oh, and I keep all of the card backs, instructions, and one copy of each new series insert (i.e. 4 for the Cybertron planet maps/toy list). Sometimes I'll keep the boxes for a series, but I stopped doing that with RID due to limited storage space.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    They all get opened eventually. Sometimes I save them for when I'm feeling particularly rough so I have something to cheer me up.

12. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

Yes, yes I do.

13. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

they are more fun when they're out of the package.

14. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

i don't open all of them...and if I do I usually have a double of it, Not that I will sell them for profit, just like how they look MISB too. like mini display cases.

15. M-Prime

M-Prime Banned

While I can see the allure of that idea, I always felt ripped off when I left TF's MISB, because you can only ever see one half of your product. You only get to see one mode, and pics quite often don't do the toy justice.

16. rid

rid Well-Known Member

I open all my TF and transform them a couple of times to find out the best looking mode and display them in those modes. What's teh point of buying toys if not to open and play with it. Even if it's only for a few times here and there.

Two exceptions to this pratice tho. IMO, Alternators look horrible in Robot mode. They are so better in car mode (as packaged). So I keep them MSIB for display, for the time being. The same goes for Titaniums. Most, but not all of them, look better in robot mode (as packaged). so they also stay in MISB, with exceptions like Megatron that just has horrible joints and can't stand up and such...

Many fans keep most (if not all) their toys MISB in the hopes to make a few bucks in 10-20 years. To that I say: "buy a house, buy stocks, buy something with better investment values. Not a bunch of plastic toys made to be played with." I am generalizing here coz there are always exceptions, like MP-01, MP-04, and so on.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Heh, I remember when I got Tankor; I got him and Cheetor atthe same time, and I was so impatient to open them that I went to my local pub, got a Guinness, sat with a bunch of my friends and opened them there!

18. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

All mine get opened ASAP. I buy them to enjoy them. I can't enjoy them, in their packages.

19. BowB4Prime

BowB4Prime arse dimples

only toy that ever made it farther then the parking lot has been primus, and my second yellow scrapmetal

but primus made it 20 minutes or so, while we rode to the office in a seatbelt box and all..........and then got opened..... scrapmetal made it about 30 minutes, and it killed me and i had to open it ...even tho i have one already

20. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only open the ones I think are too interesting to leave in the package (Alts, Cl. BB, MP Prime, but then I'll typically get a spare to keep sealed).