Do you open your transformers when you buy them?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ASSASSINAWOKEN, Nov 30, 2006.

1. ASSASSINAWOKEN

ASSASSINAWOKEN Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I have been lurking opn this board for sometime and the news on the home page is the best I have ever seen transformer wise. I am very greatful for the information on the new upcoming movie without heavy spoilage as well.

Simple question for everyone.

Currently I have about 150 - 200 transformers ranging from
    Old Beast Wars
    RID, Armada
    Energon
    Cybertron (I must say that all of the robots from this set are excellent)
    Toys R Us reissue (Everything except Rodimus, can't find him :( )
    New 20th Anniversay Prime
    Alternators (About 15 or so)
    Classics (Prime, Bumblebee, and Astrotrain so far)
    I want to bust open the rest of my new classics because I am dieing to see how they are transformed, but some say I should not open them at all.
    I can understand not opening the 20th Prime as it is a collectors item unless I can affrd a double to open.

I like to open my transformers and tranform them and whatever else, but they are stored in large rubbermaid tubs stacked ever so nicely tranformed so they are kept safe from harm and in mintage to the best degree.

I am wondering what is the general pole on whether everyone likes to open them or store them on a shelf or what not to never actually get the feel of the transfomers they collect.

I have about 10,000 legos so my transformers are know to start fights constantly with the local lego community.

Thanks for any input.

AA

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I open them when I buy them and take them off the shelf every now and them and fiddle with them...

3. lobes

lobes You okay, Bumblebee?

toys are made to be played with and unless you have some really rare ones its not worth waiting 10 or 15 years just to make a few bucks.

just open them and have fun

4. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I open most of mine but buy doubles of what I like to keep sealed.

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    man these suckers dont even make it pass the mall carpark...

6. Rama Sha

Rama Sha Tosche Station Pimp

Ebay:
    Wait...there are people that don't open their Transformers? O_O

7. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

Open and play with them, put them on the shelves... bring them back down, fiddle with them some more... maybe add stickers... I enjoy my TF :) 

8. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Hell yeah I open mine. But I also buy doubles if want to keep it mint, but they are toys and ment to be played with and shared.

9. ASSASSINAWOKEN

ASSASSINAWOKEN Well-Known Member

Thank you for the input, now I feel good about opening my transformers.

I do not currently place any of the stickers on the G1 resissues, maybe it because the fear that they may fall off.

I do keep all of my instructions and stat card backs in protective binders for safe keeping a easy reading purposes.

Yes, there are people that have lots of transformers, perhaps hundreds, claim to collect them and then never open a single one, then they sell them, what fun is that I ask?

AA

10. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Put on shelves, take down, fiddle with, put back up eventually...

Although I had a Bot/Con altmode setup on top of my dresser and desk for a couple weeks. They're starting to migrate back up to my shelves now.

11. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I open every Transformer I buy. I'm not going to spend money just to have something rot in a plastic bubble. That might be different if I bought doubles, but I cant currently afford to do that.

I also try to display every Transformer I buy, cos I dont feel there's a point to buying them, opening them, and then putting them in storage. The only 2 I dont really have displayed are Universe Primal and Universe Soundwave. This is not because I dont like them, but because they're repaints and I dont have enough room

(Primal got replaced by the TRU 2-pack Primal the minute I bought it, and I owned MW Soundwave before I bought the Universe one. Why'd I buy it then? For Space Case, of course)

In retrospect, I wish I could afford to buy doubles of the Alternators, just in case anything bad should happen to the ones on display (especially in the case of rare ones like NP and Camshaft).

Also, I might end up displaying the 6 inch Titaniums in their box, because the figures are pretty flimsy and the boxes look cool. However, I would open them and play with them before putting them back on display. (Also, the boxes are relatively large, so I might not display them that way until I have more space)

as far as keeping the packaging goes, I keep all of the boxes of Alternators, Titaniums, store exclusives, and foreign releases. For domestic releases, I tend to keep one of each just for posterity (like, 1 Cybertron deluxe, 1 voyager, 1 Universe ultra, etc). I will keep any cards (like the Armada stickers) but I tend to throw instructions away with the boxes without really thinking about it

12. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I open them, but I keep my repiants, well most of them in package.I ususally play with them for about week and then either display them on shelves or bin them depends on the series for now and space. I also ever so often take them down again and play with them again.

13. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Yes, I open mine. Sometimes, even in the parking lot…

14. jignat

jignat Well-Known Member

oh hell yeah!!!

Classics was the first time i opened up a fig in the parking lot lol...

15. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Open, play, store in poses on shelves, take down, play, put back in new poses, repeat indefinitely.

Exceptions: some of the old G1's are getting so old and I now have better, newer toys of the characters that they just get posed on the shelves and occasionally reposed, but not really played with.

16. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

I will open them depending on the figure itself. If they are rare or cool, I will try to but two of them. One to open and transform (I'm curious how they would look transformed) and one to store/display as MISB.

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Basically when I leave the store.^^ I search for a nice place and open the damn box.

18. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Cybertron Hot Shot was the only TF I actually busted open and transformed in the parking lot. I think I got a wierd look from the people who pulled into the spot next to me. ;) 

But yeah, ALL of my TFs get opened as soon as they get to my room.

19. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I open about 30~40% of the TFs I buy. I like to buy doubles of the TF I particularly like (Predaking, G1 Hot Rod, Cyb Sideway) but I've been keeping all of the Cybertron MISB thus far because I don't have the room to display them (taken up by Alternators mostly). I would love to open more of them but once you do you'll have to find boxes to store them in and all the available spaces in my closet have been taken by those boxes already so I stack the boxes in garbage bags and put them inside a door in my closet that leads to a small storage space. With Classics I am opening most of them up because I really love the line and I want to pose them next to G1 toys and see the difference.

20. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mine get opened within an hour of me getting them back to the homestead. I have everything needed to make opening them easy waiting on my computer desk.