Do you miss the extra 'bots?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PikaManiac, Nov 5, 2010.

1. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

Do you miss the extra 'bots? What I am referring to are Scamper, Six - Gun, Slammer, Brunt, Full - Tilt, Cog and Fasttrack. They don't necessarily have to come with base / city 'bots; Roller counts too. They don't seem to make them anymore, while I do understand that they are dull and there isn't any appeal to them and they or rather everything is replaced by Minicons.

But its different you see, with Minicons you don't get the feeling like "Hey, here's an extra robot to add to my army."

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Why wouldn't you get that feeling from Mini-Cons? It's the same thing...

3. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I think hasbro/takara is doing away with the "extra bots" in their updated homages. because the "extra bots" cost money & take away design sculpt+toy enginering from the bigger main robot.

4. PikaManiac

I can't explain why Minicons don't give me the same feeling but perhaps a few modern examples will help explain :

Frenzy from all Deluxe Barricade mold and Human Alliance : Barricade(Obviously, H.A humans don't count.).

Arcee and Chromia from Human Alliance : Skids and Mudflap.

The best modern example would be the Voyager Blackout / Grindor's Scorponok and Optimus Prime that came with Stratosphere!

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I think it's pretty clear with the PCC line that Hasbro is hardly doing away with the concept of "extra bots." And Mini-Cons are exactly that, extra little figures that came with larger figures. Regardless of what you think. They came with figures all the way through the Unicron Trilogy.

But aside from that, you have to look at every name you listed: Slammer, Scamper, Brunt, Full Tilt, Cog, and Fast Track. I don't think Hasbro can secure a licence on names like that.

Ultimately though, just because they didn't share those G1 names doesn't mean they didn't share the intention.

6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

I think the whole extra figure thing died when the city bots died. So, really, bring back the city bots!

7. PikaManiac

In a modern update, Hasbro will probably call those 'bots Minicons. The thing about Minicons is they feel more like an accessory rather than something "extra" because they actually interact with the actual figure. 'Bots like Scamper do nothing in Metroplex other than being an "extra".

I know I am contradicting myself because Roller does interact with Optimus Prime's trailer, but you get the point, I hope...

Perhaps if we do get a base / city bot in future(Perhaps, Supreme class?) that comes with more than 1 Minicon. Where only 1 of the Minicon is of any importance to the main body(Think Energon : Omega Supreme) and the rest are just "extras", you know like living in the city kind of thing. That will bring back the feeling. Definitely helps if they are not repaints.

8. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    This! the money is well spent on the main bot. if you want the extra bots BY the G1 stuff. Tis what I do

9. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I get what you're saying, but Slammer and Scamper are still accessories to the main figure.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll start missing the extra bots when I have Scourge in my hands wanting Fracus. Aside from that, I feel like others who have posted, we still get a decent supply of "extra bots".

11. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Stop saying updated homages. It's one or the other.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Guys like Wheeljack and Sideswipe technically are updated homages. Because there were homages in Energon and the Botcon exclusives and the newer ones are homages with updated designs.

If you want to get technical.

Otherwise just move on, he's free to call them what he likes.

13. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Powercore combiners and Arms Micron says Hi