Do you like the Bayverse elements in Bee's design?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Transformers Database, Nov 10, 2018.

?

Bumblebee Design

1. Bayverse + G1

64 vote(s)
    86.5%
  2. Full G1

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. Transformers Database

Transformers Database Ramdeen Studios

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Most bots in the Bumblebee Movie seem to have gone full G1 in design or have had some Bayverse elements integrated into their G1 redesigns. Take Bumblebee for example, he's more G1 than before but key elements such as his head & battle mask look Bay inspired. Do you like the G1+Bay aesthetic or would you have preferred to see Bumblebee get the full G1 treatment? Either way this had no affect on the quality of the film.

Screenshot_20180925-092347.png 43914312_295457137738021_5993166548385393445_n.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  2. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    I like the mix. But I’d really prefer bee to have a mouth and start to talk.

• Like Like x 16
  3. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I do not like Bayverse designs period, however he's so stinkin cute in this movie that I can totally forgive it. Dropkick and Shatter otoh, are very generic.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. sideswipe29

sideswipe29 Collect what makes you happy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'd vote for an "Other" option.

I liked Bay's aesthetic and I appreciate what Knight has done to take that concept and tweak it to make it more G1ish but I hope that in the future we can branch out away from both Bay and G1.

I want something completely new and unique. I don't like re-hashing all the same stuff all the time.

• Like Like x 5
  5. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generic? In what way? They're unique in the movieverse; they have a lot of vehicle kibble so they don't look like non-transforming robots, they're not the lurching monsters that most movie Decepticons have been, and they have visible kibble from both modes which sets them apart from other Bayverse designs. If anything, Blitzwing looks generic, with design elements in common with so many jetformers, even outside of the Transformers franchise.

Bee is very cute though :) 

• Like Like x 8
  6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Honestly I just never liked the Bay design elements and try as I might it's just something I could never grow to like.

At some point I want them to just drop all the Bay elements so the Transformers movies can move on to something different. Really tough to say what exactly because live action is going to require something more than just straight up G1 but I want enough design elements from G1 that I never have to ask who a character is.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Venixion

News Credits:

They just don't grab my attention. Perhaps they will have engaging personalities that offsets that. Perhaps not.

Blitzscream grabbed my attention right away.

• Like Like x 1
  8. User_136440

User_136440 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's fair enough I guess, just isn't what generic means.

9. Venixion

News Credits:
    Fine. I find them unremarkable at this stage in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Shatter

Shatter Banned

I’m crying I can’t stop laughing, it looks like Bee shit himself

• Like Like x 3
  11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I like the Bayverse elements. Honestly, G1 Bumblebee's face wasn't anything special. It's not nearly as iconic as someone like Soundwave or Optimus. His main unique features were the horns, which I've honestly always found a bit weird. The antennas do the same job, only better.

I honestly prefer Transformers don't have mouths. It's fine in cartoons which are more geared towards kids, but I actually prefer speakers and whatnot. Especially in live-action. I kind of wish all live-action Transformers lacked mouths (actually, none of the Bumblebee robots have them so far, aside from Ravage obviously).

I actually disagree with this a bit. I think art design is a very important part of a film. I mean, the lanky robot designs in the first trilogy are probably 50% of the reason why those movies don't sit well with me. I enjoy the newest two movies more, and a big part of that is because the design aesthetic changed to something I find more visually pleasing. It doesn't affect the story, but I'd argue it affects the quality, especially for people like me who are more design-focused. It affects all viewers to some degree.

• Like Like x 3
  12. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

I like the combination, tbh! I think the Bayverse designs started out really good, and added a lot to the movies, they were just. Misused. Like almost everything else in the series. Because of who was in charge.

• Like Like x 3
  13. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    G1+Bay designs. The Optimus design hits the spot. Although Shockwave Thunder Thighs and Seekers Lanky limbs don’t. Also either Soundwave’s head is too big or his torso is too small. Ravage is too much like a wolf and not a feline. I would prefer the early IDW Ongoing designs. Easily recognizable but just enough Bay inspired to be realistic .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I don't mind what aesthetic they go for as long as it looks good. For example, while Bee's mouth in the Bee movie isn't perfect, it's better than those metal lips from WFC game.

My favorite design from the Bee movie is Blitzwing. It's not quite super Bayverse in design but it isn't oversimplified either. Bayverse tends to go for the exposed exoskeleton look and while the characters in the Bee movie are complex, the parts filled by large chunks. If you take a look at Movie 1 Prime's arms compared to—for example—Dropkick's arms, you can see how much more solid Dropkick's arms are.

Optimus_Prime and dropkick.jpg

The funny thing is, I'm comparing a first movie Autobot to a Bee movie Decepticon. If I were comparing a movie 1 Decepticon, you would see even a larger disconnect. I'm not saying all Bayverse designs were like this though. Sentinel Prime, for example, is a fantastic design with many large parts hiding the exposed exoskeleton.

AOE tried to fix it but just ended up covering the exoskeleton with really tiny pieces—making the designs look extremely messy.

[​IMG]

Designs from the Bee movie like Blitzwing and Cybertronian Optimus are perfect. They're still complex enough to not look like giant walking boxes, but they're not littered with tiny parts. Instead, we can see the use of larger metal chunks which a lot more pleasing to look at.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  15. Furnace

Furnace Antroid at a picnic

Comparing the FOC and Bee Movie designs, the latter is far more expressive than the former. In that regard, I prefer the simplified Movieverse look. While a more G1 accurate head would have been cool, it wouldn't have really added anything that the current design doesn't have. As far as the bodies are concerned, I'm really liking the quasi-G1 look we've seen so far. While some of the designs don't quite hit the mark for me, overall, I'm genuinely excited by the new direction.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terrellatron

Terrellatron REPAIR REPAIR REPAIR

News Credits:
    Im pretty sure if they decide to use this as a reboot he will most lilely talk in what movie is next and I believe since we are going to see him on Cybertron we will see him talk

• Like Like x 2
  17. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Not really, but I tolerate them.

I mean, I still like his design, but the lack of a proper face that just serves to remind us of his inferior film counterpart, voice and childish personality is obnoxious. Rather than creating an actual character that Charlie could speak with, and have conversations with, they essentially created a giant metal E.T. or mini Iron Giant.

It'd be like if when designing the Legendary-era Godzilla they took design cues from the 1998 Roland Emmerich's Godzilla.

Perhaps the injury he gets really does effect how he usually is, but I can't imagine this guy being a scout on Cybertron, being a scout requires a lot of bravery, which used to be a staple of his character.

Being mute shouldn't be a part of his character at all, I can think of several other characters where that quirk would fit much more than it does Bee.

[​IMG]

This head design is infinitely better than the one he has in the film, give him a voice and we'd have a much more interesting character, rather than a big metal alien puppydog.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 8
  18. Artistodave

Artistodave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just fot he sake of it, it would be interesting to see something like this with bee's humble, friendly holesome attitude for a change. It would make for a nice dynamic I guess

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I strongly disagree that the comic face is better. I find the mouth on that design kind of creepy. Also, the 'heroic' chin is really out-of-place, and I'm not sure why his ear pieces are on his cheeks. I think the adorable Bumblebee movie design is a billion times better. Heck, I honestly even prefer the Bay version.

I don't think movie Bumblebee has a 'lack of a proper face'. He has eyes, a nose, and ear pieces. Basically the only thing he doesn't have is a mouth, and plenty of Transformers lack mouths. Do G1 Oprimus and Soundwave lack proper faces? A design doesn't have to have every human facial feature to be a good design. I said it in my above post, but I actually prefer Transformers don't have mouths in more realistic media. It works in cartoons, but if I had my way, all live-action Transformers would have some form of speaker or faceplate (kind of like the Star Wars droids).

20. Artistodave

Artistodave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So, if a Giant is just a big man, and Bee is a small Iron Giant, that makes him Iron Man?

Ok, clearly I might spend more time on the internet than I should xD

• Like Like x 6