Do you like movies, or do you like just owning dvds?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Mr. Jiggles, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I thought "Without a Paddle" was funny.

2. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I rarely buy movie DVDs (only if it's something that I like). Most of the DVDs (around 130ish) that I own have nothing to do with Hollywood (yeah, I'm very, very, very picky about what I watch)

Speaking of Ronin, I gotta open it (even though I've seen it, only movie DVD that I own). Bought it at Best Buy for 9.99 after New Year's.

You remind me of my relatives. And what's worse, half of their DVD collections are knock-off movies that weren't released on DVD yet.

3. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I buy dvds to watch them. I do have some I haven't gotten around to watching yet, but I've at least opened them and plan on watching them someday. I usually don't buy stuff I haven't seen in some form or other, with a few exceptions.

4. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Yeah, I don't get why someone would buy DVDs for any other reason than watching them. Though I have made the mistake of buying a movie that is only worth a 1 or 2 time viewing.

5. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I own a bunch that haven't been opened but thats just because I haven't gotten to them yet, most of them are ones I've already seen, I have to be in the right mindset to watch certain movies where as I've seen just about all Friday the 13th movies a few thousand times over. I rarely buy a movie though if I'm not sure if I'll like it, maybe every now and then but I make sure Ive read about it to see if its something I'd be watching. Gotta say though, POTC didn't capture me, Fight Club I liked watching once but probably wouldnt have more than a passing interest at best, the others I'll watch if its on TV but probably not a buy, just my opinion, I've never been a big fan of war movies, sports movies(unless its baseball), musicals, disney, and a few others I can't think of offhand. But I agree, its stupid to collect them if you have no real intention of ever watching them, seems like it defeats the purpose.

6. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Ugh don't remind me, ND is a movie about a misfit who doesn't fit in and then you see all these preps wearing Vote for Pedro shirts, kind of funny when you think about it but still quite annoying.

7. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    I like movies. Rarely blind buy DVDs unless my interest is really piqued for some reason, and I buy used DVDs, tapes, and laserdiscs (yes, I still have one!) most of the time anyway. And while I was tickled to find a factory sealed Ladyhawke LD a few years ago, I think its almost insulting to the work itself to leave a movie sealed. Ladyhawke was freed from its shrinkwrapped prison as soon as I got home and popped it in the player.

People who hate subtitles would hate my anime collection and the fact that some series I refuse to watch with dubbing (but not all - it has to be a good dub with VAs well matched to characters, else it annoys the crap out of me). And I like films like Seven Samurai (the long version). But I also greatly enjoy good cheese. :D 

The one Scorsese film I've seen, tho, Taxi Driver, I really couldn't stand. Not saying its bad, I just didn't like it - I think I was expecting too much.

--Moony

8. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    first of all, I cant believe the amount of DVD some of you have! XD Seriously, I must only have like...let me think 30. ^^ probably a couple of more but still.
    Anyway, when I buy a DVd its because I like the movie, probably because I havent watch it in a long time and its no available for rent or because I really want to watch again and again.
    when I buy a Dvd I never leave it sealed, thats dumb if you ask me. And I apologize if someone does that, it wasnt my intention to offend you.

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I have a few unopened, but they were free and may re-watch them on a boring ass day.

Iv'e already seen them, so no point of forcing myself to watch them again soon, but it feels good to own them. Now just buying them just to have a large dvd collection for bragging rights seems silly. I only have about 300, but watched em all a million times.

I think some people do it the way they do the weed. They don't smoke much, but it's nice to have a chunk for later in case a stress fest comes along lol

I really have no right to say anything though, I have a bunch of toys, but all they do is sit in storage :lol 
    Probably some kid hating me right now for it. little bastard

10. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

All my dvds are opened, but a few are unwatched. My WWII documentary, The Mothman Prophecies, Enter the Dragon to man a few.

And speaking of Without a Paddle... a few years ago when it released onto DVD, I was WM toy hunting for Alternators and spotted that very movie ripped opened with the dvd stolen. I, being a decent person, told a WM employee about the opened dvd as I was leaving the toy department. To make a long story short, that bitch employee got it into her head that I had stolen the dvds, and had the undercover WM cops detain me outside. I told them if I were ever to steal it'd be a better movie than Without a Paddle.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Damn , that's messed up.

What thief would actually steal a disc, then take the cover to an employee? :lol 

I hate when dumb people assume too much.

12. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'm convinced that at least 75% of all people are like this, not actually knowing anything about movies or even caring what they watch as long as it keeps them ticking over for a couple of hours without any effort. It makes me want to hit people in the face when I try to have a discussion about films and all I get is how great the latest Eddie Murphy cackfest or identikit faux-horror gore movie is.

13. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lolol 

suck it up dude, its just movies.

:) 

i know what youre talking abt dude, i dont think its just with dvd's, even with toy collecting i dont like some o these guys who just collect to collect, na'mean?

also, i heart without a paddle. screw you guys. even if its a lame version of stand by me.

14. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    whatwhatwhat?

im all for making t3 irrelevant, but thats a bullshit ending.

15. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i've bought DVDs that i havent played it...though i did watch it before (wheter it be at someone's place or at the theatres)....and the reason is usually the price at that time (sales when it first comes out).

as for special features and extras....never do watch those...i buy the DVDs just for the movie.

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Don't worry, he's getting his versions mixed up. The actuall T2:SE that Cameron cut himself doesn't have that ending, its just tacked on to it if you use an easter egg on the ultimate edition disc.

17. Commander_V

Commander_V There is no title, only... wait, wrong fandom

Omg preach on brutha!
    We had this discussion not long ago on another board regarding Pan's Labyrinth, which I thought was an excellent movie (a lot darker than I was expecting, but loved it nonetheless). I'd say that a good 1/2 of the people in the discussion were yapping about "I dun wanna read subtitles! That's st00pid" and refused to watch it even just once to see if they'd like it.

*TWHACK TWHACK TWHACK*

Meh...

18. kronos

kronos PSN = METROPLEX_84

News Credits:
    I buy movies to watch. I will buy movies for all sorts of all reasons. But i NEVER take a critics review for anything more than it being just their opinion. If I buy a movie and it sucks, it still stays in my collection. I have over 500 movies!