Do you like movies, or do you like just owning dvds?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Mr. Jiggles, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

I hate dvd collectors. I've got prolly 7 or 8 hundred now, but I consider myself more of a movie buff and film fan than a dvd collector. Not all my films appeal to everybody, but I think they all have merit.

I'm talking about the kind of people who have absolutely no taste in film, but buy up a pile of movies because they've got nothing better to do.

Granted, film is a subjective medium, but sometimes I have to seriously roll my eyes.

I've got a buddy who has just about zero taste as far as I'm concerned, and sometimes it really pisses me off. Like, one time we were in a Movie Gallery looking through the used dvds and I came across a copy of 'La Dolce Vita' for about 6 bucks. I couldn't believe my good luck and called him over. He snurled his nose up and said "That's not even in English."

I looked down in his hand and he was buying 'Without a Paddle'. I said "You're gonna pre-judge what is widely considered a classic while you stand there with that piece of shit? I watched your movie and it sucked. Why not try mine?"

He replied with "I don't wanna read a movie. And this might be funny. It's only ten bucks."

"Yeah, ten bucks you could spend on a movie that doesn't suck balls." He just shrugged. I turned around and walked off.

I also got a little hot in the collar a few weeks ago because he flipped through Rashomon and said "I ain't watching that piece of crap." I got pissed and called him an ignorant, backwoods redneck and left.

It would have been different if he had actually watched it and said it sucked.

Worse, though, are the people I see on certain message boards (not this one), that show pictures of their massive collections where as much as 75% of the movies haven't been opened. Speculation on dvds is a lost cause and I don't think there is any kind of MISB rationalization in terms of movies.

Not to mention, you will find NO intelligent discussion of films, anywhere on the site. It's like going to a site about music, and just talking about the cd covers. It pisses me off.

But the worst is a recent thread where the posters are talking about 'Which acclaimed movie that you blind bought were you dissappointed by."

Granted, I could see how movies like Suspiria, Hard Boiled, Blue Velvet, etc., wouldn't appeal to everyone, but some of these movies these people are listing you just have to say 'WTF'.

For example, in this thread some of these 'dvd collectors' have said the following movies were 'some of the worst they'd ever seen'

Keep that in mind. Not just dissappointing, but the worst.

Braveheart, Fight Club, E.T., Pirates of the Carribean, The Godfather, Raging Bull, etc., etc.

Just had to get that out.

2. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't imagine anyone being let down by Suspiria, Blue Velvet, and definitely not fucking Hard Boiled.

Anyway, you know, I hate that kind of close minded attitude in general. People look down their noses at fucking everything without even giving any of it a chance. I don't get it. "Oh that's a cartoon, it's for kids, it'll blow" and they're talkin about fuckin Perfect Blue.

It's just cooler to hate shit I guess

I know that wasn't the main point of the thread, but your friend's attitude stood out to me most. I hate that crap.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I can not stand people who have DVDs in their collection that are unopened.
    You know, I may buy something because I see it at a low price, but the DVD is opened and watched within a few weeks.

I know people who buy DVDs like they are going out of style and never watch half of them. I have never understood that behavior.

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I like Movies, and probably don't own more than about 50 DVDs. Each one has been watched, even the special features/bonus content disks, at least once.
    I personally would find it harder to keep a DVD in package than a TF. A TF can look pretty in its box, the DVD case may as well be empty.

Infact, I often have a look through the pre-owned DVD selections at Blockbuster, just to pick up something random, and try it on a whim. I believe thats how I ended up with most of my Video's too.

5. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

DVD's are for watching.

6. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    yeah i def cant stand people who buy dvd's and never watch them. Though i am the type that will buy a dvd even if i have never seen it just to suprise myself if the movie is good but i own about 100 movies and it is growing but they have all been watched several several times.

7. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    I watch movies on TV and in the Cinema... I very rarely buy DVD's.... got too god damn many TV movie channels which I can't watch all at once any how. I only buy DVD's I know I'll like or I've watched before. If I'm "large" I might buy like 3-5 DVD's a year.

8. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I typically will not buy a movie unless I have seen it or am pretty damn sure I will enjoy it. I buy them to watch.

While my taste in film may not be as classy as Jiggles I feel it is well above the "Without a Paddle" level. It is funny how I can look at my sister or mom's DVD's and wonder "who buys this shit?"

I understand that we all have different tastes but for someone to say these films were the worst need to have the head examined.
    Sometimes you just can deny a very well made film.

I have found myself doing more "blind buys" on Blu-Ray on titles that are reviewed as having amazing picture and sound quality. But all of them have been watched and will be watched again.

9. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't buy as many DVDs as I used, that's mainly because I've gotten hold of most of my favourite films / shows that have been released so far. I've still got a lot of stuff to get, but it takes time baby. I guess I'd currently have around 100 - 150.

What pisses me off though, and it shouldn't, is other people stealing my enjoyment of films. Way back in 2002 I was the first person I knew of to find a copy of Donnie Darko in this country, watch and enjoy it. No one else wanted to see it because it sounded "gay". Fast forward three years and it's hot shit and the fucking posterchild for emo dorks. Same thing happened with Napoleon Dynamite. Alas, life is tough when you ride the wave of cool like I do.

10. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

I can empathize. I remember taking a crappy tape copies of Green Day's Kerplunk and 39/Smooth to school when I was like, twelve or so. Everybody said 'Oh, lame. Where's the Pearl Jam." Two or three years later and everybody says 'Woo-hoo! Green Day rocks!"

Ruined it.

Kinda hard to not feel that way about TFs since the ginormo movie surge.

11. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Definitely like movies.. but there are times.. where renting the movie.. and buying the blind buy.. cost the same.. so why not just buy it? yea.. the price point is probably there for a reason.. but i bet you that there were some movies you had no idea about and were just curious.. and they turned out ok or better

Sorry if i got this wrong, man.. but did you post some classic B movie(s) that you recommended.. i think samurai guitarsman or something? It was probably a good movie.. but someone had to find out somehow..

As for your friend.. maybe he wanted that crap movie because he wanted to see it suck for himself..

sometimes tastes are just different.. like Rashomon.. sure.. he didn't watch it.. but at least I did .. and that's all that matters cause I tried to offer a gem.. and my hand got slapped away. So then i move on..

As a Jiggles once said.. "no skin off my nuts" :lol 

and i don't understand those people who buy a crapload of movies... just to collect them either...

12. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We own a LOT of DVDs, many of them unopened. But the unopened ones are for movies I already have memorized, more or less - my Ghostbusters I & II two-pack, my wife's copy of Grease. It's not because of speculation, it's just that sometimes you can't get around to watching a classic movie again as quickly as you might like.

13. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    My taste in movies varies a lot... but romance ain't much my kind of thing. I've seen many classics and all different kind of types of movies, and i'm fairly openminded about anything I'm going to watch.
    Just saw Big Momma's House II tonight... oh man it made me crack up so much, i know many says it sucks, but heck i liked it. I rarely agree with reviews so that's that.
    Right afterwards I saw Black Thunder with Michael Dudikoff... what a piece of crap... well most of the movies he's in are.
    And last, Feast... what a bunch of splatter crap.

A buddy of mine collects DVD and has a mountain of them, but he never gets to watch 'em all... the buying has become somewhat of an obessesion of his... but I won't complain, I have it likewise with TFs.

14. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I love movies. I basically buy only the one's I like, though I don't own all the movies that I do like. I either see a movie in the theatre, or rent it, before deciding to buy it on DVD.

15. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I fall into the "neither" category when faced with the title question. I have a general lack of interest in most films/TV that come out (whether Hollywood or independent), I only purchase the DVDs for shows/movies I already like and I never blind-buy. I really don't understand the point in buying a DVD and not opening it

I think this qualifier is important due to setting the frame of reference. It's not "this movie is objectively one of the worst films ever" but rather "based on my personal taste, out of the movies I have actually seen, I consider this one of the worst". At least when they say that, they've actually watched the film and aren't just shooting it down outright. A movie may be widely acclaimed and have numerous objective qualities that critics can point out as to why it's a good film, but if it's not to someone's personal taste, they aren't going to like it (had this discussion with a coworker when I mentioned that "Pulp Fiction" is one of the worst movies I've ever seen).

16. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Movie for me, not the DVD ownership.

Take Terminator 2. The extended special edition which was a hidden bonus on the Ultimate Edition was a more solid film. We get the scene where they reprogram his CPU to learn(explaining his sudden human mannerisms later on) and the better ending- Sarah in 2029 with John the senator. They won, Skynet was never built, everyone's sacrifices mattered.

The main cut with the ambiguous ending? Just led into T3. It did them no good to blow up Cyberdyne because Judgement Day happened, their efforts amounted to nothing in the end. John grew up to be a misguided loser anyway and didn't learn squat.

I'm selective about movies I like.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I hate owning DVDs. One of the best parts of my burglary was losing the few I'd acquired over the DVDs, mostly before Netflix, and get paid decently for 'em.

I do own the TF series and movies on DVD, but that's honestly it. I wanna watch something nowadays, I Netflix it. So much easier.

But I know what you're saying. I knew a guy who wouldn't rent, he'd only buy DVDs on the basis that he only needed to watch 'em a few times to make it worthwhile. But he would buy ANYTHING, and you can watch a Rob Schneider film a hundred times for a dollar, andd it's not worthwhile, no matter what.

18. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    We have more movies (865) than days (365) so we'll always be playing catch up.

19. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Well, I do know this: I've been looking for copies of Whispering corridors, Wishing stairs, and reincarnation for a all of October, And I find all three on November 1, at a buy two, get one free sale, and all three were $15 each. I just need to find Memento Mori and my haunted school trilogy is complete. But yes, there area couple movies here and there I haven't gotten to yet, but at least I have them.

20. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You've just described my dad, except without the message board, and with the number raised to about 95%.

I have no idea why he does it, but there are some -- make that MANY -- still in their damned Best Buy bags. And he seems to buy nearly EVERYTHING -- just about every movie release and probably 30-50% of TV series box sets. I certainly don't think it's speculation -- he has shown no indication of a desire to sell later. I think he genuinely thinks he's going to watch them all at some point. But he'll be 60 in 2 months, and I don't think he'd get through them all if he started tomorrow and made it to 100.

It drives me crazy.

It's extremely rare that I buy anything if I haven't seen it. The only times I've done so were for Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker and Titan A.E., and that was when I had gotten two copies of the Alien 4-pack as gifts, was returning one of them, and exchange was the only option available. (And still, I knew I liked the Batman Beyond series, and was 90% certain I'd like TAE.)

Right now, I've got a few unopened things in my collection -- Ronin, Spaceballs, The Last Starfighter, and a couple MacGyver seasons (gifts) -- but I've seen all of them before. (It's still bugging me a bit, though.)

Bwah? Guess I need to revisit my T2 DVD. Totally missed the memo on that stuff.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007