Do you like leader scale...um...leaders?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SentinelPrime, Mar 11, 2010.

1. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Yo!

I was thinking earlier about how over time Prime and Megs have grown. I'm not talking age, I mean specific size.

Of course, originally, they were pretty much deluxe size, with the addons like the trailer or gun parts making the figure more expensive. Over time, we saw them get larger and larger, starting with medium voyager size, to a larger ultra, eventually growing up to the $40+ official "leader" class with ani and the movies. Of course, they've opened up the idea of making the characters in multiple scales, but it looks like they are moving to make the best, "official" version of the leaders in the leader scale.

How do you feel about this? Do you want the better, "official" version of the character to be in the $40 price range, or perhaps have the voyager scale get the focus of being the "main" version, with the leader scale being the ultra-lighty-soundy-super-premium version?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

2. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I tend to think scale doesn't matter to Hasbro, as what the "best" figure is is a matter of opinion. I think the best ROTF Bee is the HA one but it's way out of scale next to Leader Prime, my pick for the best incarnation of that character. I aim for some semblance of scale between figures, so Leader Prime and Megs are the ones I display in my mixed ROTF setups, but the Voyager Megs mold is superior (again, in my opinion).

If I were running Hasbro, the "best" (to me) versions would always be the most appropriately scaled ones. So HA Bee would be scaled down, Voyager Megs would be scaled up, etc.

3. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    It seems like the movies are where the TFs started to really appear to be more in scale with one another, so it keeps the leader figures from seeming to be so big on display with the others. It's really cool that they pretty much shrunk leader Prime down for that new Voyager, now you max out the superior Megatron voyager by having the awesome new Prime voyager with it. The old Prime voyger that's been used 1000 times was just too thin and small next to the larger Ironhide and Ratchet molds.

4. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I think that Animated was a great experiment in scale, what with giving Optimus Prime a voyager figure and no leader. Made getting Bulkhead and Megs easier knowing they were a little bit in scale.

However, I think that the majority of leader-class figures represent the pinnacle of design, and I promote placing the leaders in the Leader Class size class, simply because 9 out of 10 times two of the leaders are going to be Megatron and Prime, and any incarnation of Prime deserves a figure of that size, and Megatron is just constantly changing and it's fun to see what they do with him (except in the movie franchise, yeesh).

5. AMG

AMG Old School

I like the leader class bots, I think they make nice centerpieces for a TF line collection.

I also think it's nice that Hasbro gives buyers a choice with different size classes. Not everybody can afford (or wants) the largest version of a character, so it's cool that they have some other options available.

6. Quantum_Penguin

Quantum_Penguin Be seeing you...

I have to say I prefer Voyager scale leaders like Classics Prime because they're usually about a head taller than the majority of their deluxe troops. That makes them big enough to have a commanding presence but not so big that they can't interact in a meaningful way.

On the other hand, I like the Leader scale (which used to be called super) and Ultra scale (when it shows up) to be reserved for figures with outsize altmodes like jets and boats or "the big guns", i.e. characters like Omega Supreme or Scorponok who are much like strategic weapons.

That said, I have to agree with AMG that it's nice to have leaders at multiple scales and showcase the iconic characters of the line with the best engineering.

7. chugway

chugway ming mong ping pong

For me the leader class figures should be screen/page/cartoon accurate, and scale well with the rest of the line. gimmicks and stuff are secondary to how they display.

To take the example i always use for a good toyline (;) ) the TFA toys are great for scale, and for me an example of well-executed Leader class figures.

Leader megs is the tallest decepticon figure and certainly the most solid/bulky, but despite their considerably lower mass voyager starscream, shockwave and delux lockdown are all only a little bit shorter. You can clearly see he is Big and Bad but he doesn't tower above them. I like that, they display well together. Same as Leader Bulkhead and Activators bumblebee looking good next to the delux autobots. The only crap one is lugnut, but given how badly the delux sold hasbro probably made the right choice not doing a leader.

It's always nice when there is some consistent sense of scale with a line, so they don't look silly displayed together. Some figures just don't scale well at all and end up looking like a random pile of toys stacked on a shelf, even in robot mode.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I strongly disagree with that.

Car Robots and the Unicron Trilogy were almost sticklers for scale far more often then not.

Personally, no, for the most part I do not like the Leader class being for the, well, leaders mostly due to the fact that they're so much bigger then the rest of the troops it's a bit silly, just because they're the leader doesn't mean they should be the largest or near largest size class; I know why from a marketing standpoint, but from a figure standpoint, not so much. I have always prefered the Voyager/Ultra size class for most of the leaders, I think Superlink Galvatron fits in far better with the Energon Decepticons then the Leader does, for example. However, on the flip side, I love Animated Leader Megatron, though like most of the Animated Leaders, he's small when you compare him to other Leader Megatron figures, he does fit in nicely with a largely Voyager class force and the ubertall Lockdown for example. (And why Lugnut should be Supreme sized!) So perhaps for me it's relative scaling. A largely deluxe force looks better with a Voyager/Ultra while a largely Voyager force looks good with a Leader. Animated lacking the scout/basic also may play a part as well. I always found Leader Energon Megatron laughably huge next to a few Deluxe Decepticons and my Terrorcon army.

Additionally from the last several lines I have actually passed or don't display most of the Leader sized figures, prefering their often better smaller scaled counterparts. So, I'm glad that lately we've been getting Prime and Megatrons at lower pricepoints. Sure there are some, like CR/RiD Prime, Cybertron Prime, and others who I like as the nice big figures, but overall they seem to be more the exception rather then the rule.

9. Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like having the option of having Prime & Megatron in larger size toys, but also in smaller ones. The situation we have right now is pretty ideal - you can get a Prime or Megatron in pretty much any size/level of complexity you want.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Depends.

When it comes to Prime and Megs... yeah, I kinda do like some kind of realistic scale for the fiction, but this doesn't always mean I want them to be the same size. I never liked how BW Optimus was the same size as Megatron, for example, but for the movies it's not a problem, since they're roughly the same size. I'm gald Optimus didn't get a leader figure, because I think Voyager Ops and Leader Megs go great together.

11. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Yes I do like Leader scale TF's. I would perfer if Hasbro made more of them and even go back to the G1 line and make those into leader scale that where somewhat in leader scale back then as well.

12. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Only if they're shown to be that large in scale with everyone else in their media, like Unicron Trilogy Prime generally being rather large.

But I've said this all along, I prefer larger characters to have the larger toys. Faction Leaders can be Voyagers, if that's how they stack up comparitively.

13. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Truthfully, it depends on who is getting the figure. I believe Prime and Megs should always get a Leader figure. The only time I was happy Optimus didn't was in Animated, because Voyager Prime and Leader Megs look good together,

In ROTF, I was happy that Prime was a Leader-class figure. Probably the best we have ever gotten. It was also good to see Megatron, to keep scale with Prime, and Jetfire was nice since he combined with Prime.

Now in 2010, we are getting three "new" Leader figures. I consider Cyber-Ops BB a Leader figure, regardless of what Hasbro says. I think it looks horrible, and will not get it. Then we get Forest Battle Prime. While the hooks are cool, the paint and "battle damage" could have been much better. Another pass for me.

Then we see Leader Starscream, and think "Why can't Hasbro do this for every figure?" He just looks awesome. I will buy him on-spot.

In regards to scale, I don't really care, since when in 'bot mode most Leader class figures are the same height. In vehicle mode, however, I have problems. Coming back to Cyber-Ops BB, a Camaro is not as big as a F-22. A semi-trailer like Optimus looks good next to it, even if the scale is a little off. As long as the 'bot mode looks good, and I can overlook vehicle scale.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I like the leader class for the most part, though I don't really need my 'leaders' to be giant compared to the rest of the toys. Classics Voyager Megatron and Optimus were perfect for me...bigger than the deluxes but not SO massive they dwarfed everyone. Personally I'd save the larger class size for larger characters but of course I know scale is forgotten when it comes to TFs and of course the Leader size class relies a lot on name recognition to move toys that are that expensive.

15. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In before this degenerates into "I want/They should have made Leader Lugnut and/or Blackout."

I'm okay with Leader figures, and don't mind paying for them if they're really extraordinary, but I also appreciate the other size classes. Scale is second to the overall quality of the figure, IMO.

16. tcinternet

tcinternet Speed-Blue Wrecker

Personally, I was a big fan of the Ultra size class. You get large, commanding characters that are still a somewhat manageable size. The Leader and supreme class, for me, should be reserved for "playset" characters: those who are specifically designed to interact with smaller toys

(at this point, you can tell that I'm an 80's kid... Yes, I want Fort Max back terribly.)

I like the idea of Prime and Megs being the Ultra size, maybe even Voyager so that their importance is stated, but not over-the-top.