Do you like both RiD15 and PRIME, just one, or neither?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by LegoTFGuy, May 5, 2017.

?

RiD15, PRIME, Both, or neither?

1. I like both PRIME and RiD15

2. I like PRIME but not RiD15

3. I like RiD15 but not PRIME

4. I like neither of them

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

Just out of genuine curiosity and to test a theory I had.

2. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I dig both honestly. Both have their share of good and bad points to them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I honestly have a lot of problems with both. They're quite similar shows. In both of them, the Autobots aren't that interesting, there aren't really any story lines that actually go anywhere, lead Decepticons miss out on large numbers of episodes, the 'Cons are generally inept and each episode sticks annoyingly close to a formula. The biggest difference between them is that RID15 owns up to this.

Prime constantly would draw out its episodic stories by merging them together so they fill up multiple episodes and splitting up 2-parters, in order to create the illusion that it had ongoing stories, when it actually didn't, as none of these arcs would mean anything in the long run. It tried to act dark and edgy, while not having any maturity. Almost none of the 'Bots can have fun and almost everyone talks in an over dramatic tone all the time. There's an army of 'Cons to build tension, yet they're all worthless, resulting in boring 1-sided fights, the 'Cons having an absurd body count and it's probably the reason why most episodes only featured one or two named 'Cons, outside of a cameo of Soundwave serving as a computer monitor, while Megatron shouts at the main 'Cons to find whatever relic is on his screen face. The show tried to do big character arcs, but would have no idea what to do with the characters afterwards, so they'd always revert to their old selves.

RID15 takes a sensible approach to story telling and simply has one story an episode, being completely open that there's not much in the ways of ongoing plot. It's light hearted and doesn't try to make you take it seriously. It's characters are capable of having fun and talking in more than one tone of voice. It's Decepticons are still quite useless, but at least each episode will have just one or two of them being capable of giving the 'Bots a run for their money, rather than having hoards of them die. It sticks to small, very drawn out character arcs that don't require much change from the characters, so there's little need for them to go back on their development.

In in the end, while I'm never eager to watch either show, RID15 at least isn't as frustrating as Prime, as it doesn't make you expect something other than what you're gonna get. Plus, it doesn't have hoards of 'Cons being slaughtered. That's always a big plus for a Decepticon fan.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'd have to say I like both...

...but not very much.

Neither are bad shows. Neither are painful to watch. Some days, that's all you can ask for.

well said.

5. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

Both. They both have their flaws, but at least RID doesn't have the annoying habit of throwing away plot threads. Neither of them are as good as BW or Animated, unfortunately.

6. Mr JackatooTM

Mr JackatooTM Geek Jesus

News Credits:
    Google+:
    I can both tolerate them.

7. 96megatron

96megatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My favorite series the transition between them works.
    Prime: Dark. During time of War. Few Heroes. The Decepticons have a disposable army. So Megatron could care less about the number of casualties of drone occasionally except for major forces such as Breakdown, Dreadwing, sometimes Starscream , Knockout, Shockwave, and most importantly Soundwave

RID: More lighthearted. A generation born in times of Peace. While making references of the war to the Younger Generation(Sideswipe, Strongarm, and New Grimlock)through the eyes of those who lived through it.(Bumblebee)

• Like Like x 2
  8. AirjitzuRonin

AirjitzuRonin Member of the Bee Team

I love both of them but then again I love most Transformers fuiction so that's a given. Both are wonderful shows.

9. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

TFP is my favorite series of them all. I miss it a lot, but I find RID enjoyable despite it being dumbed down in comparison.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

My favorite thing about RID was how weird some of the Decepticon designs in the first two and a half seasons were. Bisk/Thermidor, Clampdown/Clawtrap, Springload, Underbite, Quillfire/Scatterspike, Ped, Groundpounder/Simacore, Crazybolt, Pseudo... There's others I can't think of right now, but it's kind of disappointing the only weird animal design in S3 so far is Wildbreak.

11. Galvatross

Galvatross Read the script deuter Veteran

I don't hate them, but I'm not crazy about them either. They're nowhere near as bad as some people think they are, but I don't find them terribly interesting or fun either. I prefer them to the Unicron Trilogy, but I like them nowhere near as much as G1, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Animated, and the Bay movies.

12. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Prime only.

13. IamaMeatRabbit

IamaMeatRabbit Well-Known Member

I like both, although I liked Prime a bit more. However, I feel like RiD is a very good continuation of Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

I enjoy both. Personally, I do prefer Transformers: Prime, as I personally feel it's the perfect representation of Transformers in cartoon form, with a dark tone, recognizable characters with a few new/unfamiliar faces thrown in, I like the characterizations (yes, even mute Bumblebee and stoic Optimus), I like the high stakes, the humans are useful without dominating the screentime, and the action is always intense and a lot of fun to watch.

I do consider Transformers: Robots in Disguise to be the inferior product. In the beginning, it sets up really intriguing story arcs for itself, but it barely makes any reference to it in favor of the "Decepticon-of-the-week" formula. Season 2 and onward do feel like they do a better job in terms of developing their story. The filler episodes, though they do range from really enjoyable to slightly cringe-y, do give the impression that not much is really happening outside of character development. The animal-based Decepticons got really old after a while, too, especially after they went out of their way to make them just like Earth animals with no reason or explanation given. While I do enjoy the characters, I will say that Sideswipe's and Strongarm's bickering has run its course and is hard to listen to now, and anything interesting about Fixit has been forgotten in favor of him being just the technical guy with the quirky speech pattern. Some characters are definitely wasted, especially the Scorponok/Glowstrike/Saberhorn triumvirate.

That aside, I do enjoy this series. The characters are entertaining and usually fun to watch, and you do get the feeling that they're growing and developing as the series goes on.The action and fight scenes are visually interesting, and the Autobots often use more complex strategies to defeat them. The more prominent villains are a lot of fun, particularly Steeljaw's Pack, Megatronus, and especially Starscream. The humor's usually pretty good, too.
    I know it seems like I'm throwing a lot of criticism at Robots in Disguise, but the positive aspects of the show are usually more prominent than the negative.

In summary, while I do consider Transformers: Prime to be the vastly superior product, I do like a lot of aspects of Transformers: Robots in Disguise, and enjoy both shows.

15. Sideways77

Sideways77 #WOCReboothype

News Credits:
    It's interesting.

Prime started strong and got shittier, but RID started slow and started getting better and better. So I vote RID and not Prime.

16. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Outside of G1 Prime was the best series so far for me. It balanced a good bot/altmode design, dark/humour elements and it had a swell voice cast.
    Its story while not the most brilliant thing it was ok for a kids show.

And of all the pros I find I prime I cant find in RiD so....

17. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like them both.

18. Awesomepow

Awesomepow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both.

19. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I like Prime, but not Robots in Disguise. Really the only reason that I watch RID is for connections to Prime.

20. AMG

AMG Old School

I've never seen RiD15 so I can't comment on that.

I like TFP.