Do you leave batteries in your TFs?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Grimwing, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Previously my fear of corrosion lead me to hate putting batteries in my transformers. For fear of forgeting about the ticking battery fluid time bombs inside erodeing away in a few years.

Upon explaining this to my family they insisted that it only occurs in hot or damp areas. So there should be no trouble useing batteries in transformers.

My questions are. Do you display your transformer toys with batteries? And do you think corrosion is a issue?

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Just to be save I take out the batteries after a while, especially if it's something that's going to be on the display shelves for an extended amount of time. Given the fact I live in Florida, hot and damp are conditions unavoidable.

3. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I think I've had batteries in RiD Prime since I got him back in 2001...

Better check that now.

4. Destroyer

Destroyer Destruction to all

After buying a few Bots that people did leave the batteries in and seeing the damage it caused I'll never leave batteries in them.

5. domientius

domientius Well-Known Member

Even though you get free batteries out of the deal, I pretty much object to any toy having them installed. "Try me" features can't really be helping sell many toys... I foresee a lot of MISB toys 20 years from now having battery corrosion as a result.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Cybertron Optimus has batteroies that's about it.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I take out the batteries, unless I use the lights and sounds a lot. The button cells don't corrode as much, incidentally, so it's only the ones with the AA batteries you need to watch.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I take them out when I don't use them for awhile. I should actually take them out of my movie toys soon and reissue Galvatron.

9. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Unless I'm using the lights and sounds often, I'd take them out.

I live in a tropical country, and I've never had AA batteries leak on me, except in the case of a pair that were left untouched in a forgotten Walkman for... 2 years?

10. tarheels

tarheels Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You have to watch all types of batteries. I have had to throw away every type of battery, even ones that were still in the package from the store. They will all eventually corrode given the right conditions and time.

So, if you have them for display, I would remove the batteries.

11. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well, usually TFs only come with the watch batteries anyway, so most of my toys only have them and the ones requiring AA or AAA batteries remain empty...because I don't have that many spare batteries :D 

12. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My battery-capable TFs - G1 Omega Supreme, Cyb Supreme Starscream, and two Movie Leader OPs - have never had batteries in them for long. I'm wary of 'Try me' features as a lot of the movie toys I see in shops now seem to have dead batteries already.

13. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I remove any and all batteries (usually to stash and use later in something else) because I can't stand lights/sounds in my TFs... I blame Armada Jetfire.

14. Raven Zombie

Raven Zombie Liege Ravnos Muerte

i normaly take them out, but dont worry about corrosion.
    i stand them loose, so its more an annoyance of them going off.

15. optimus major

optimus major Banned

News Credits:
    don't mention that gun....please....that things is still a going, goes off randomly every day and i can't find the thing

16. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    :lolol 

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I think I have two, maybe three Transformers with non-watch batteries in them: Cybertron Optimus Prime, Leobreaker, and... those are the only ones I can think of. Does Cybertron Scourge use AAs or watch?

I usually leave the batteries out because while I like lights, I really hate sound chips. The few who keep their batteries are the ones whose sound chips make sounds I actually like. All two of them.

18. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    AA, AAA, C and D types I *always* take out if I am not using the 'bot (or any toy or electric gadget for that matter.)

Cylinder-shape batteries are the one most common to leakage and I've even had a couple of them explode...luckily nobody was near them at the time!
    Just last week I had to pry open a display digital camera at work for the AA batteries in it had leaked...and they had only been in there a few days. Thankfully the camera wasn't damaged, just a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol got the battery compartment clean :) 
    And I don't exactly live in a warm or humid climate, so I doubt that matters much. :lol 
    Batteries will leak eventually. Just don't let it be in your TF's!

19. Mike

Mike Banned

Ebay:
    Just a FYI, if you've got a toy where the batteries have leaked, and the toy no longer works.. Just take a little automotive chrome polish to the battery connectors inside the toy (both the possitive connector, and the negavite spring). The chrome polish won't harm the plastic either, but it'll eat right through the layer of battery fluid covering the connectors. Put a bit on a cloth, and simply rub the corroded area's clean.

Stick in a new battery, and it'll work just fine.

Leaked batteries don't actually wreck anything, they just simply just cover the connectors in a crusty layer of battery fluids, preventing any newer batteries from being able to have a good contact with the connector. An easy fix :) 

20. terrordrone

terrordrone Well-Known Member

Yeah, I better take the batteries out of my G1 Soundwave.

What? Those aren;t batteries! Those are weapons!!!

awwwwwwww